BRM Reviews the 9/17/2021 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/17/2021 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 19th, '21, 22:20

The commentary team tonight is Excalibur, Taz, Chris Jericho, and Ricky Starks. Is Jericho just completely incapable of talking at a normal volume when he’s on commentary?

AEW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Lucha Bros.(c) (w/Alex Abrahantes) vs. The Butcher & The Blade (w/the Hardy Family Office)- 5.5/10
Not only are Butcher & Blade #1 contenders out of nowhere, but they have been undefeated all year. How was this not brought up on TV at any point. Even if Butcher was injured, you’d think one of the announcers would have at least brought it up to try to talk Blade up during his feud with Orange Cassidy, but apparently not. So much for those records meaning anything.
They did stuff, including several dives. The finish here saw the heels tie Penta’s mask to the ropes by the tassels. They were going to hit a move on Fenix, but Penta took his mask off so he could go intercept it with a superkick, allowed Fenix to win with a rana pin. The actual pin looked like Butcher wasn’t even trying to kick out. I do like the idea here (that the titles mean so much to Penta that he was willing to risk exposing his face to save them), but I thought it might have had more impact in a bigger match.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
The Hardy Family Office attacked the babyfaces. LAX then came out to make the save because they apparently have mutual respect with the Lucha Bros.

KENNY OMEGA VS. BRYAN DANIELSON VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

Excalibur thought it was a good idea to build up the main event by referring to the car that was on the line as a “moderately-priced used car.” It’s already going to be an uphill battle to get anyone to give a sh*t about this, and instead of helping push it uphill, Excalibur decided to hop up onto of it with a backpack full of bricks.

THE BUNNY (w/Penelope Ford & Matt Hardy) vs. ANNA JAY (w/Tay Conti)-
They started off hot with a brawl on the floor for the shine. The Bunny got the advantage by working over Anna Jay’s recently-healed shoulder. Penelope tried to get involved but Conti stopped her. Anna Jay won with a roll-up.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- If you were wondering why there was just one post-match attack on Dynamite this week, it appears that they were saving them all for this show, as we’re now two for two. The heels beat down the babyfaces. Penelope punched both babyfaces in the face with brass knuckles.

CM PUNK VS. POWERHOUSE HOBBS VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS MATT HARDY- bad
Jack Evans is also in the ring. Matt vows that his enemies will pay in matches next week. He then says he is annoyed by a fan in the front row dressed as Orange Cassidy. He goes over to the fan, who gives him a thumbs up, so Matt drags the fan over the guardrail and assaults him. No security made any effort to stop him, even when he rolled the fan into the ring and Jack started attacking him, too. Matt pulled out scissors from somewhere, and they cut the poor guy’s ponytail off. Then Jack pulled out a shaver and shaved the guy’s hair.
Finally Orange Cassidy’s music played, and to save this dedicated fan, he headed to the ring and a brisk stroll. I would feel bad for this fan, but by the time the lawsuit is over he’ll probably own the Jacksonville Jaguars, so he’ll probably be fine in the long run.

TONY SCHIAVONE MODERATES A PROMO SEGMENT BETWEEN BRITT BAKER AND RUBY SOHO- great, expect for one big misstep.
Tony gave Britt a big hug, so I guess he wants Adam Cole to kill him.
My TV had some sound issues during the beginning of this, so I don’t know what Britt said that might or might not have instigated it, but Ruby accused Britt of being a ring-rat. Even worse, her exact phrasing was to say that Britt was “like every other broad I’ve stepped across the ring from: entitled, self-centered, and banging some dude in the back.”
Really, Ruby? EVERYONE you have ever wrestled was a jerk and ring-rat? This Ruby Soho seemed nice at first, but now she seems like a delusional asshole. Britt, being tremendous, responded to this by just taking sideways look at the camera and giving a facial expression that said “yeah, that’s fair,” as if she didn’t even perceive these things to be insults. Of course she’s entitled and self-centered. She’s Dr. Britt Baker, DMD. Who else should anyone be focused on?
Because Ruby decided to throw a verbal potato, Britt gave her a receipt. “You have the audacity to call yourself ‘the Runaway’, but you didn’t run away from anything, Ruby. You got fired.”
Ruby admitted that Britt was right, but then turned it into a great babyface promo saying she would win the title next week. Britt tried to hit Ruby with the belt but Ruby ducked it and beat her up, then posed with the belt.

MARK HENRY’S SPLIT-SCREEN INTERVIEW WITH FUEGO DEL SOL AND MIRO-
The more I hear Fuego talk, the more I hate him. Miro was tremendous. He said that he didn’t care about Fuego’s car; he only took the match because “I love celebrating victories with my G-d up high… and my wife down low.”

TITLE VS. CAR MATCH: Miro(AEW TNT Champion) vs. Fuego del Sol(car)- 4/10
Most of the match was Fuego trying high-flying stuff and Miro catching him. Miro won with ease.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
We end the night batting 1.000 on post-match attacks. Miro took the car keys and stuffed them into Fuego’s mouth (they were on a lanyard) and locked in Game Over. Sammy Guevara come out to make the save. Miro ran away, leaving the title belt in the ring, so Sammy grabbed it and posed with it. If that sounds familiar, it’s because it happened in the previous segment, too.

This was a meh episode of Rampage. Save yourself the time and just find a clip of the Britt/Ruby segment on YouTube.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3