BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 23:07

FANCY OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- There wasn’t one! HOORAY! They just had a short, colorful (VERY colorful) action-packed video package. If I could pick one nit, it would be that some of the images went by a little too fast to grasp that I was seeing a name like the former Adrian Neville.
In more of a real mistake than a nit, Tony Schiavone absolutely should not have said that they were “back on TNT for the first time since 2001.” “Hey! Look at us! We’re WCW!” is one of the single worst things he could have said in this situation that wasn’t some sort of racial slur.

CODY VS. GUEVARA VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!

SAMMY GUEVARA vs. CODY RHODES (w/Brandi Rhodes)- 6.75/10
Cody’s entrance took WAY too long. Also, him getting the big goofy thing with the elevator platform while Guevara coming out from a regular entrance tunnel made Cody look like a giant douche. And that’s fine, if the story eventually becomes that Cody is full of himself, but at the moment, the guy who is supposed to be the babyface is coming off like a douchebag.
Okay… Schiavone REALLY needs to shut up about the year 2001. Talk this up for being “the first match in AEW Dynamite history,” not “the first wrestling match on TNT since 2001.” Mere minutes later (if that) he also told us that he was “thinking about the first match ever on TNT” “on our show, Nitro, in 1995.” Now Ross is bringing up WCW, too. OH MY G-D! How was “DON’T TALK ABOUT WCW!” not the first f*cking bullet point on the list they gave the announcers?
Cody gets cut off when Guevara pulls Brandi into the way of Cody’s dive. The problem with the spot was that just moments earlier, Brandi had been in his face and yelling at him like a total heel. It doesn’t make what he did okay, but it makes the Rhodes look like heels as well, so I have very little sympathy for Brandi. Brandi would later interfere behind the referee’s back, hitting Guevara with her shoe. Again… like a total heel.
Cody wound up getting the win in a match that was very good, but nowhere close to the blow-away match I’d want as the first match on my TV show. I do think the Cody parts of the video package were a perfect choice for very beginning of the show so I understand Cody needing to be in the opener, but this match needed to be better.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Guevara got in Cody’s face after the match but it was a swerve for the predictable handshake. This did distract Cody enough for Jericho to run out and kick his butt. I like the booking here, as it both get Jericho on the show in the first segment as well as being the beginning of the build to Cody getting a title shot, which I think is a natural direction to go, as he is a big name in AEW who is nonetheless expendable at the moment in terms of being able to do a job to Jericho without being established as being a class below the big-name WWE star.
It’s also good to have someone who the announcers were talking about as having a shot at being in the title picture if he wins (and who has yet to lose a singles match in AEW) actually wind up with a title shot sooner rather than later. Lots of promotions say that wins and losses matter, but talk is cheap.

JERICHO BEATS CODY UP THROUGH AN ENTIRE COMMERCIAL- We had to watch this with picture in picture. It was not a good look for AEW to keep the camera rolling for what was 95% Jericho posing. When we got back from the commercial, Jericho was using a chair on Cody. Despite several minutes having passed since the attack began, not one person has come out to help Cody. Even Brandi- a trained wrestler- is just standing there, watching. Referee Aubrey Edwards just stood there waving her arms at Jericho, the very picture of an ineffective pro wrestling referee. This is not a visual I would have wanted on my first show. If your pitch is that you are different than the competition, BE DIFFERENT.
Jericho eventually grabbed a mic to tell us he is the champion as he headed up the ramp. Ironically, he forgot his title belt at ringside. Schivaone told us that Jericho had “a different look in his eyes than I’ve ever seen before,” exposing that he hasn’t been watching the product.

BRANDON CUTLER vs. MAXWELL JACOB FRIEDMAN- 5/10
Excalibur’s quick intro of Cutler made him feel like someone who was only in the company because he is friends with the Young Bucks. MJF then cut a scathing promo on him and the entire crowd. You can almost ignore the rating for this one, as it was a very effective showcase for MJF.

AN INTERVIEW WITH KEVIN SMITH & JASON MEWS TURNS INTO A TAG TEAM SEGMENT- bad
This was cross-promotion for the new Jay & Silent Bob movie, which stars Jericho. It was not good, and came off as exactly the sort of thing you’d have seen in WWE’s guest-host era, with the celebrities seeming to have no real knowledge of the product and only being here for the plug. At least they kept it short, though.
Jack Evans & Angelico came over to insult them. Then Private Party wandered through the crowd to bring Jay & Silent Bob some beer. Then they left. Why were they in the crowd? There were several million better ways to set up a plug of the tag team tournament than this.

SCU VIDEO- They act like goofs.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS SCU- bad
In his very first sentence Schiavone managed to flub SCU’s name and accidentally refer to the company as “OVW.” If I might offer a suggestion, only use Tony in pre-tapes from now on.
Scorpio announced that Daniels and Kazarian would be representing SCU in the tag team title tournament because they have the most experience together and have had the most success together. That was the only good part of this.
After that happened, the Lucha Brothers came out. Fenix said that there was a reason that they were the best tag team in the world, and Penta said that that reason was “CERO MIEDO!” The man is just a walking catchphrase and set of spots at this point. SCU also did their catchphrase, which prompted the Lucha Brothers- the babyfaces- to attack SCU for no adequate reason. Backstage officials and referees and Atlas Security instantly streamed out to break this brawl up. Where were all of these people when Jericho was beating Cody up with a chair for several minutes?
This whole thing was like a parody of pro wrestling, where it was all catchphrases and fights for the sake of having a fight. Mix that in with Schiavone’s utter failure, and you’ve got a pretty darn bad segment.

JERICHO & LAX IN THEIR LOCKER ROOM- Apparently we’re doing the WWE-style “just pretend the cameras aren’t there” nonsense. Very disappointing. Like I said before, if your pitch is that you’re different from WWE, then BE DIFFERENT.

ADAM PAGE vs. PAC- 8/10
Apparently there are no count-outs in this match.
This was a match with a real big-fight feel to it that should firmly establish both of these men as big deals in the mind of someone who hadn’t seen them before (or at least hadn’t seen Page before). The heel finish here was definitely the right call.

SINGLES MATCH TO CROWN THE FIRST-EVER AEW WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPION: Nyla Rose vs. Riho- 8/10
Dr. Britt Baker, DMD was on commentary for this match. She didn’t say anything useful. The story of the match was the size difference, and I’m a huge sucker for a “big vs. small” story. This was an awesome match that starts this championship’s life off on the right foot.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Michael Nakazawa came out to interview Riho. He was over the top and felt like his heel self, so I really didn’t care when Nyla attacked him from behind. She then went after Riho and was about to hit some move off the apron when Kenny Omega came out and made the save. Where was Kenny when his pal Cody was getting his ass kicked by Kenny’s mortal enemy earlier?

CHRIS JERICHO & LAX vs. THE ELITE (Kenny Omega & the Young Bucks)- 6.75/10
They did some spots, then Moxley showed up a few minutes in and attacked Omega right in front of the referee… and this was somehow not a DQ. They brawled into the crowd, leaving the Bucks at a disadvantage. If there are no DQs then why don’t Cody or Page run out to even things up? Even worse, the cameras followed Omega and Moxley rather than the actual match. Security and referees and backstage officials aren’t breaking this fight up, either. Moxley gave Omega Death Rider through a glass coffee table, thought it looked like it should have hurt Moxley more than Kenny, as he was the one who was clearly going through it.
The story of the match from that point on was the numbers game, which the Bucks eventually lost. I see the value in doing things the way they did, but I absolutely would not have done this in the main event of my first show. You want a match that really delivers in the ring, and you don’t want to screw the fans out of the advertised main event (and in most cases you’d also want a clean finish as well).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
We got our third post-match attack by the heels. Cody came out to make the save for the Bucks. Where were they when he needed them earlier? Sammy Guevara came out and hit Cody in the nuts, which brought out Dustin Rhodes to make the save for Cody. Again… where was Dustin earlier when Jericho was beating the sh*t out of his brother with a chair? Dustin got some good shots in but was then cut off by a man who hopped the guardrail. Jim Ross identified this man as “Jake Hager, from Bellator.” A good effort, but we all know who that is, and his indy run has been extremely underwhelming, so I’m really not excited to see him. And I’m someone who actually liked Jack Swagger!
Hager runs wild on the babyfaces, and absolutely no security or officials or anyone has come out to stop this fan who jumped the guardrail and is beating up the wrestlers. Upon watching their heroes getting beaten up, the crowd chanted “WE THE PEOPLE!”
This segment would have been fine if we hadn’t seen so many post-match attacks already and it hadn’t suffered from the logic issues brought about by the inconsistency of when fights were broken up and when they weren’t.

This was a pretty good first show from AEW, although I do think the decision-making in the main event hurt it. I also think it would have been a good idea to have something announced for next week other than just the tag title tournament.
AEW has been trying to tell us that they’re different from WWE, but I didn’t really feel that while watching it. It was like WWE with the annoying little ticks stripped away, which meant it was certainly more enjoyable overall as there weren’t things like WWE’s cult-speak adding more straws to the camels back over the course of the show, but they didn’t do anything to positively inspire me, either. It was two hours of a generic wrestling promotion, rather than something that stood out with its own identity.
The biggest negative, though, was the announcing. Schiavone was terrible, saying nothing useful, bringing up WCW WAY too often, and occasionally flubbing things. Ross wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t good either. I realize that these men have a certain nostalgia value for many fans, but I think Ross’ place is as a sort of master of ceremonies/host and Schiavone’s is as a backstage interviewer in pre-tapes. Find someone else for Excalibur to handle commentary duties with.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 Dynamite

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 3rd, '19, 08:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 23:07
AEW has been trying to tell us that they’re different from WWE, but I didn’t really feel that while watching it. It was like WWE with the annoying little ticks stripped away, which meant it was certainly more enjoyable overall as there weren’t things like WWE’s cult-speak adding more straws to the camels back over the course of the show, but they didn’t do anything to positively inspire me, either. It was two hours of a generic wrestling promotion, rather than something that stood out with its own identity.
I would say it was more like NXT, in that everything was succint, and what took most of the time was the wrestling.
And you say "generic wrestling show" like that's a bad way to present your very first show. If they'd really pulled out all the stops, people would've said "Oh they're trying too hard to be different". I think the further we get away from All Out, AEW will really shine through, because we'll have to see angles and promos play out on TV to build to PPVs.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '19, 08:53

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 08:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 23:07
I would say it was more like NXT, in that everything was succint, and what took most of the time was the wrestling.
And you say "generic wrestling show" like that's a bad way to present your very first show. If they'd really pulled out all the stops, people would've said "Oh they're trying too hard to be different". I think the further we get away from All Out, AEW will really shine through, because we'll have to see angles and promos play out on TV to build to PPVs.
I mean generic as in lacking in identity. It's fine and I'll keep watching it... but then again I said the same thing about ROH TV, and still haven't started with MLW, despite intending to several times.
It felt like something in between NXT and WWE. And for a promotion that has promised us so much change and revolution etc., it's really not one.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 3rd, '19, 11:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 08:53
I mean generic as in lacking in identity. It's fine and I'll keep watching it... but then again I said the same thing about ROH TV, and still haven't started with MLW, despite intending to several times.
It felt like something in between NXT and WWE. And for a promotion that has promised us so much change and revolution etc., it's really not one.
What would you think would make them be different while still being a 'normal' arena pro wrestling company? They're not going to be LU/NWA or have Six Sided Rings. I agree that it looks like a generic wrestling show, but it's because we've been trained to think that wrestling looks a specific way. I honestly believe that even Khan and whoever was in production is trained the same, otherwise we wouldn't get soo many bad cuts to the crowd.

Straight up, the Cody vs Sammy video package looked different from WWE, MLW, or ROH. Impact had tried a similar approach, but don't have the funds to do it at this level. The differences will start coming up slowly.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 3rd, '19, 12:58

cero2k wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 11:05
What would you think would make them be different while still being a 'normal' arena pro wrestling company? They're not going to be LU/NWA or have Six Sided Rings. I agree that it looks like a generic wrestling show, but it's because we've been trained to think that wrestling looks a specific way. I honestly believe that even Khan and whoever was in production is trained the same, otherwise we wouldn't get soo many bad cuts to the crowd.

Straight up, the Cody vs Sammy video package looked different from WWE, MLW, or ROH. Impact had tried a similar approach, but don't have the funds to do it at this level. The differences will start coming up slowly.
This. I think we'll start seeing that identity when guys have to cut promos to build to PPVs. We've already seen how impactful some of their backstage stuff is (a little bit of the bubbly, everything that comes out of MJF's mouth), but when everyone gets to define what "their" kind of promo, "their" kind of verbiage is, that's what will separate AEW from the pack.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '19, 17:35

cero2k wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 11:05

I can't quite put my finger on it, but, to contrast, I thought a lot of what they did at FyterFest and Fight for the Fallen were much more different from WWE. I know that those are "big" shows, but they were definitely building block shows rather than Double or Nothing or All Out. I think part of the problem was that most of their angles were the same angle over and over and over again. I guess I would have liked to see more of a mix of styles instead of just a bunch of brawls, or profile pieces that let the characters feel different. Give me someone like Darby Allin, or a promo with Spears about where he goes next, or something like that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '19, 17:37

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 12:58

This. I think we'll start seeing that identity when guys have to cut promos to build to PPVs. We've already seen how impactful some of their backstage stuff is (a little bit of the bubbly, everything that comes out of MJF's mouth), but when everyone gets to define what "their" kind of promo, "their" kind of verbiage is, that's what will separate AEW from the pack.
When they have to start cutting promos? This show was only six weeks out from PPV Sunday. This was the time to start.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 3rd, '19, 18:07

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 17:35

I can't quite put my finger on it, but, to contrast, I thought a lot of what they did at FyterFest and Fight for the Fallen were much more different from WWE. I know that those are "big" shows, but they were definitely building block shows rather than Double or Nothing or All Out. I think part of the problem was that most of their angles were the same angle over and over and over again. I guess I would have liked to see more of a mix of styles instead of just a bunch of brawls, or profile pieces that let the characters feel different. Give me someone like Darby Allin, or a promo with Spears about where he goes next, or something like that.
it did get a little repetitive, but given that it's day 1, I figure you have to kickstart angles. I would hope it won't be a thing we see all the time, at least two of three of those definitely build towards the PPV. The examples with Allin or Spears I would also expect we start seeing on the next weeks when it's time to introduce them to the tv audience.

This one felt like boom, here are our major players and two major feuds, with a sprinkle of chicks and tag teams.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '19, 18:33

cero2k wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 18:07
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 17:35

it did get a little repetitive, but given that it's day 1, I figure you have to kickstart angles. I would hope it won't be a thing we see all the time, at least two of three of those definitely build towards the PPV. The examples with Allin or Spears I would also expect we start seeing on the next weeks when it's time to introduce them to the tv audience.

This one felt like boom, here are our major players and two major feuds, with a sprinkle of chicks and tag teams.
Doing the same thing over and over just seems like such a bad thing to do on the first show because it makes you seem like that's the only card you have up your sleeve (especially how pathetic the way they got to the Lucha Bros. vs. SCU brawl was, and how bad the other tag team segment was). Kick-starting angles is fine, but you need to do it in a way that isn't repetitive.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 3rd, '19, 19:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 18:33 Doing the same thing over and over just seems like such a bad thing to do on the first show because it makes you seem like that's the only card you have up your sleeve (especially how pathetic the way they got to the Lucha Bros. vs. SCU brawl was, and how bad the other tag team segment was). Kick-starting angles is fine, but you need to do it in a way that isn't repetitive.
yeah, don't disagree. It's just the first show tho, like WWE said, this ain't a sprint, but a marathon

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '19, 21:47

cero2k wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 19:45
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 18:33 Doing the same thing over and over just seems like such a bad thing to do on the first show because it makes you seem like that's the only card you have up your sleeve (especially how pathetic the way they got to the Lucha Bros. vs. SCU brawl was, and how bad the other tag team segment was). Kick-starting angles is fine, but you need to do it in a way that isn't repetitive.
yeah, don't disagree. It's just the first show tho, like WWE said, this ain't a sprint, but a marathon
That's true, but you don't want to have a start that is so bad that you can't catch up. They won this week, but we won't know anything until we see how many people decide to tune back in next week.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '19, 08:52

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 21:47

That's true, but you don't want to have a start that is so bad that you can't catch up. They won this week, but we won't know anything until we see how many people decide to tune back in next week.
tune back, or join anew

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 4th, '19, 12:48

I'm just gonna say it:

Nyla Rose.

🤔🤔🤔

I'm not even sure where to begin on opening this can of worms. I guess I'll just go ahead.

I really don't care about one's secuallity, and I know for a fact we're all able to discuss such an issue here openly and freely, but the entire issue of them pushing it as a "woman" fighting another for the women's title is just a head scratcher for me...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '19, 14:51

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 12:48 I'm just gonna say it:

Nyla Rose.

🤔🤔🤔

I'm not even sure where to begin on opening this can of worms. I guess I'll just go ahead.

I really don't care about one's secuallity, and I know for a fact we're all able to discuss such an issue here openly and freely, but the entire issue of them pushing it as a "woman" fighting another for the women's title is just a head scratcher for me...
I think you're seeing things. I dont think they even mentioned it... which is the way it should be because it shouldn't matter one bit.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 4th, '19, 14:56

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 14:51

Nyla Rose.

🤔🤔🤔

I think you're seeing things. I dont think they even mentioned it... which is the way it should be because it shouldn't matter one bit.
Well maybe it's just my personal feelings on the entire background of it all, but within the wrestling show it doesn't matter.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '19, 20:50

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 14:56
Well maybe it's just my personal feelings on the entire background of it all, but within the wrestling show it doesn't matter.
she is and has been mentioned in promos, but it really doesn't matter as you say within wrestling.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 5th, '19, 00:22

I think this belongs in the unpopular opinion thread...

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 5th, '19, 07:50

Nyla Rose.

🤔🤔🤔

I remember watching the first fourty minutes of the DON pre-show with Alex "Awful" Marvez saying three or four times how "AEW is for everyone" when showing the legless guy and Sonny Kiss and the female referee and thought it was the same shit WWE does with the Women's Revolution™. They actually didn't make a big deal out of Rose and that's how it should be : they shouldn't bring a "minority" to fulfill some ridiculous quota and brag about it later, but because they can bring something to the table.

The thing is though, I feel like they're chickening out of pushing her straight away because it might be seen as pandering to the LGBT community and could also "scare" people away (kinda like how Omega isn't the champion and the Bucks most likely won't be the first tag champions). If we look at her wrestling character without any bias, the story writes itself : monster heel wins the belt and dominates the division, so the babyface (Baker or Shida) vanquishes her at the end. It kinda doesn't help that they put the belt on fucking Riho instead because Bookerman isn't chickening out of putting the strap on her tag partner, but I digress.