All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 20th, '22, 23:21

cero2k wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 22:14
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:37
The reason we don't get the promised "sports-like presentation" is because... well... I think Tony's an idiot and in his mind that meant "we'll keep records, and have rankings!," where as the rest of us heard that and actually expected those things to matter and be done in a logical manner.
Wait, how does that make HIM the idiot, when it was the fans that were making their own assumptions and taking everything literal?
Because he has promised this thing that he thinks he understands, but clearly doesn't, because he doesn't understand what it is about this thing that appeals to the appeal who talk about wanting it. He seems to think it's just a buzzword. It's the equivalent of thinking that you are booking your secondary title to be important by calling it the "prestigeous Intercontinental Title" every time you mention it, but booking the title the same you have been doing before.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1767
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by XIV » Sep 21st, '22, 02:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 23:21
cero2k wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 22:14
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:37
The reason we don't get the promised "sports-like presentation" is because... well... I think Tony's an idiot and in his mind that meant "we'll keep records, and have rankings!," where as the rest of us heard that and actually expected those things to matter and be done in a logical manner.
Wait, how does that make HIM the idiot, when it was the fans that were making their own assumptions and taking everything literal?
Because he has promised this thing that he thinks he understands, but clearly doesn't, because he doesn't understand what it is about this thing that appeals to the appeal who talk about wanting it. He seems to think it's just a buzzword. It's the equivalent of thinking that you are booking your secondary title to be important by calling it the "prestigeous Intercontinental Title" every time you mention it, but booking the title the same you have been doing before.
Can only agree here.

In every aspect, Tony has gone against that one big original selling point and the only defence anyone has of him is "that we all took it seriously" of course we did! We were promised it!

FTR have been #1 ranked tag team for months now, with no title shot coming as a result of it!

When picking the contenders for this latest world title tournament, TK didn't think to pick logically based on the rankings that he books and he has someone in the company continue to write out every 14 days or so, he just picked people who he wanted. Which is direct correlation of his idiocy vs a premise he initially put forward and continues to push in each wrestler's graphic!

If I've got a vacant title, I'm either thinking Top 2 in a straight match, a Top four ranked tournament or even a fatal four way and build that... why? Because they've "earned" it.

The official AEW rankings at the time the tournament were set were...
#1 Jon Moxley
#2 Hangman Page
#3 Powerhouse Hobbs
#4 Jay Lethal
#5 Darby Allin

Where was Hobbs' shot? Where was Lethal's? Removed in favour of Sammy Guevara? Why?
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 21st, '22, 11:07

I'm willing to excuse the title tournament entrants due to the combination of the circumstances around it and the fact that there is a theme with the entrants which makes sense, and everyone involved is the best fit with that theme. Tony did a good job with that.
Otherwise, you wind up in a position where Hobbs needs to lose to someone before Starks gets his revenge on him.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1767
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by XIV » Sep 21st, '22, 13:50

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 11:07 I'm willing to excuse the title tournament entrants due to the combination of the circumstances around it and the fact that there is a theme with the entrants which makes sense, and everyone involved is the best fit with that theme. Tony did a good job with that.
Otherwise, you wind up in a position where Hobbs needs to lose to someone before Starks gets his revenge on him.
You excuse it better than me. Although the final is the right two, Moxley vs Danielson is the right call and I’m hoping they go down the Danielson angle now.

But on the Hobbs exclusion, I’d have Hobbs do something really heinous to Starks like attack him backstage and then have Starks cost Hobbs that match somehow even just a distraction. Starks is visibly smaller, he’d have been wronged and therefore more underdog and fans will enjoy it and accept it.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 423
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Thelone » Sep 21st, '22, 18:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:09What is your sourcing for this? Everything I've heard said that Cody and Brandi were very divisive.
I do remember the articles about "the Rhodes being bad" to be rather broad and vague while when you were talking to the wrestlers directly, pretty much all of them lauded the Rhodes. I think the only ones who weren't were, you guessed it, the Elite.
I seem to be the only one who remembers this, but Punk calling Page when Page wasn't there and making him look bad was also in response to Page doing that to Punk during their feud (and then accusing Punk of only being in it for the money).
Well I'm not gonna pretend to have followed that feud closely, so I'll take your word for it. It's all a work anyway, right?

Anyone?
I don't think this framing is quite fair. The Bucks and Omega are trying to do what they think is constructive, and it is what has worked for them in the past. The problem is that they don't understand that if you want that "second million" that Wade Keller always talks about, you can't just do kitschy comedy and then have Meltzer-rated ****1/2+ matches. They already have all of the people who are going to be into that.
But haven't you heard? Casual fans don't exist anymore, so why cater to them?

As for the Bucks and Omega, have they really done anything constructive in the Dub? Like at all? Omega's been supervising a stupidly expensive video game that looks like a PS3 launch title (and is going to bomb horribly) while the Bucks... are having matches and cockblocking FTR endlessly it seems (and boy do I not care about them, but they're the lesser of two evils here).
Jade Cargill's push is deserved because she has such major star potential, and even if she isn't improving in the ring as much as we'd like she's not actively stinking things any worse than any other pushed act in that division.
The more I read that, the less I'm seeing it quite frankly. Like ok, she's hot, incredibly fit and carries herself well, I can see that, but what else does she bring to the table? She's been cutting the same promo almost since her debut, her wrestling is still abysmal despite being trained by Bryan allegedly, her videos on Youtube aren't exactly setting records (I remember them being some of the least viewed actually, but that was a little while ago), and I guarantee you she'll fuck off the second she's booked to lose matches because she's only there to push her "brand" and nothing else (and the Dub doesn't seem to pay her millions considering she briefly got involved in that shitty crypto ponzi scheme Foley was touting a few months ago).

My point is that she's not some kind of special talent and clearly doesn't care enough to improve in any way. I can browse Instagram for five minutes and find plenty of women who will tick at least the first two boxes.
The reason we don't get the promised "sports-like presentation" is because... well... I think Tony's an idiot and in his mind that meant "we'll keep records, and have rankings!," where as the rest of us heard that and actually expected those things to matter and be done in a logical manner.
I'll say it again : I gave the Dub a shot with those shows before the TV debut, and the first things they put in front of the camera were Marvez almost pissing himself, that fucking Casino Battle Royale filled with indy trash, a putrid skit with the librarians and a Bayley clone (remember them?), and more dumb shit like the Dark Order or not following their own tag rules during the very first tag match. I already didn't believe in this whole "sports presentation" because of the Bucks and Omega, and... yeah, that sealed the deal pretty damn quick.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '22, 20:05

XIV wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 13:50

But on the Hobbs exclusion, I’d have Hobbs do something really heinous to Starks like attack him backstage and then have Starks cost Hobbs that match somehow even just a distraction. Starks is visibly smaller, he’d have been wronged and therefore more underdog and fans will enjoy it and accept it.
I had considered this possibility, but rejected it because either way you wind up with a fighting champion babyface and a heel who was screwed out of a chance to be world champion and would thus certainly demand a title shot. You then wind up in a situation where either:
1. You have Hobbs injure Starks yet again to stop him from interfering in the title shot that Dragon or Moxley will surely accept, resulting in the same potential issues as above, where either someone gets to beat Hobbs cleanly before Starks gets revenge on him, or you just start this same cycle again.
2. You have Starks get his revenge on Hobbs first, at which point Hobbs won't look very strong going into his title shot.

I'd be relatively fine with #2 in a situation where it's just a title shot on TV with a little bit of build where the real goal is to try to let Hobbs look impressive in defeat (and, if your promotion has one, fulfill a Thirty Days Rule type of thing), but as a first title defense when you're trying to establish a new champion (and especially one in Mox's situation who lost to the lineal champion and won a tournament for the belt after that guy vacated it), I don't think it's a good idea (it's not terrible, but I'd rather avoid it, given the chance).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5930
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '22, 01:43

Ha! I told you these vanilla midgets weren't gonna do worth a got dang. 🥱🥱🥱
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 20896
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by cero2k » Sep 23rd, '22, 02:53

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 01:43 Ha! I told you these vanilla midgets weren't gonna do worth a got dang. 🥱🥱🥱
he said as they broke the $1M gate mark for a tv show episode
Image

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1767
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by XIV » Sep 23rd, '22, 10:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 22nd, '22, 20:05
XIV wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 13:50

But on the Hobbs exclusion, I’d have Hobbs do something really heinous to Starks like attack him backstage and then have Starks cost Hobbs that match somehow even just a distraction. Starks is visibly smaller, he’d have been wronged and therefore more underdog and fans will enjoy it and accept it.
I had considered this possibility, but rejected it because either way you wind up with a fighting champion babyface and a heel who was screwed out of a chance to be world champion and would thus certainly demand a title shot. You then wind up in a situation where either:
1. You have Hobbs injure Starks yet again to stop him from interfering in the title shot that Dragon or Moxley will surely accept, resulting in the same potential issues as above, where either someone gets to beat Hobbs cleanly before Starks gets revenge on him, or you just start this same cycle again.
2. You have Starks get his revenge on Hobbs first, at which point Hobbs won't look very strong going into his title shot.

I'd be relatively fine with #2 in a situation where it's just a title shot on TV with a little bit of build where the real goal is to try to let Hobbs look impressive in defeat (and, if your promotion has one, fulfill a Thirty Days Rule type of thing), but as a first title defense when you're trying to establish a new champion (and especially one in Mox's situation who lost to the lineal champion and won a tournament for the belt after that guy vacated it), I don't think it's a good idea (it's not terrible, but I'd rather avoid it, given the chance).
It still doesn't fix the fact that the ratings they pump out are completely and utterly useless.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5930
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '22, 12:23

cero2k wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 02:53
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 01:43 Ha! I told you these vanilla midgets weren't gonna do worth a got dang. 🥱🥱🥱
he said as they broke the $1M gate mark for a tv show episode
Yeah that doesn't work for me brotha, the point being moreso was that everyone else seems to hate them as much as me now.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 23rd, '22, 14:14

XIV wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 10:48
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 22nd, '22, 20:05
XIV wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 13:50

But on the Hobbs exclusion, I’d have Hobbs do something really heinous to Starks like attack him backstage and then have Starks cost Hobbs that match somehow even just a distraction. Starks is visibly smaller, he’d have been wronged and therefore more underdog and fans will enjoy it and accept it.
I had considered this possibility, but rejected it because either way you wind up with a fighting champion babyface and a heel who was screwed out of a chance to be world champion and would thus certainly demand a title shot. You then wind up in a situation where either:
1. You have Hobbs injure Starks yet again to stop him from interfering in the title shot that Dragon or Moxley will surely accept, resulting in the same potential issues as above, where either someone gets to beat Hobbs cleanly before Starks gets revenge on him, or you just start this same cycle again.
2. You have Starks get his revenge on Hobbs first, at which point Hobbs won't look very strong going into his title shot.

I'd be relatively fine with #2 in a situation where it's just a title shot on TV with a little bit of build where the real goal is to try to let Hobbs look impressive in defeat (and, if your promotion has one, fulfill a Thirty Days Rule type of thing), but as a first title defense when you're trying to establish a new champion (and especially one in Mox's situation who lost to the lineal champion and won a tournament for the belt after that guy vacated it), I don't think it's a good idea (it's not terrible, but I'd rather avoid it, given the chance).
It still doesn't fix the fact that the ratings they pump out are completely and utterly useless.
Correct, qlthough the existence of the ratings and their poor execution are different issues. Based in your position, the ratings make this tournament problematic for you even if they were executed well.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 23rd, '22, 15:55

Thelone wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 18:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:09What is your sourcing for this? Everything I've heard said that Cody and Brandi were very divisive.
I do remember the articles about "the Rhodes being bad" to be rather broad and vague while when you were talking to the wrestlers directly, pretty much all of them lauded the Rhodes. I think the only ones who weren't were, you guessed it, the Elite.
I don't buy that the Elite were the only ones who didn't like him, simply because I could see how grandiose and self-serving the sh*t he was doing on-screen was, so I can only imagine that people who had some inkling of whatever machnications he pulled to get them, or who knew what he wanted to do that got toned down/vetoed, or just people who lost TV time to some of his self-serving crap (and Brandi's, too) would also dislike him
Thelone wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 18:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:09I don't think this framing is quite fair. The Bucks and Omega are trying to do what they think is constructive, and it is what has worked for them in the past. The problem is that they don't understand that if you want that "second million" that Wade Keller always talks about, you can't just do kitschy comedy and then have Meltzer-rated ****1/2+ matches. They already have all of the people who are going to be into that.
But haven't you heard? Casual fans don't exist anymore, so why cater to them?
I'm not even talking about casual fans. I'm talking about people who are already big wrestling fans, but just want a well-told story to follow. The people who were big fans of CHIKARA or PROGRESS, or who have gotten into wXw over the past six or seven years. People who want a well-told story first and foremost, and for whom it's merely a bonus if the match is **** instead of ***1/4.

Thelone wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 18:53 As for the Bucks and Omega, have they really done anything constructive in the Dub? Like at all? Omega's been supervising a stupidly expensive video game that looks like a PS3 launch title (and is going to bomb horribly) while the Bucks... are having matches and cockblocking FTR endlessly it seems (and boy do I not care about them, but they're the lesser of two evils here).
You're missing my point. They're not f*cking around because they don't care and "just want to have fun." They think that what they're doing actually is constructive. Like Cody and Tony, they think their booking and storytelling is genius-level works of art instead of the plot-holed filled crap that it is.
Thelone wrote: Sep 21st, '22, 18:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '22, 21:09Jade Cargill's push is deserved because she has such major star potential, and even if she isn't improving in the ring as much as we'd like she's not actively stinking things any worse than any other pushed act in that division.
The more I read that, the less I'm seeing it quite frankly. Like ok, she's hot, incredibly fit and carries herself well, I can see that, but what else does she bring to the table? She's been cutting the same promo almost since her debut, her wrestling is still abysmal despite being trained by Bryan allegedly, her videos on Youtube aren't exactly setting records (I remember them being some of the least viewed actually, but that was a little while ago), and I guarantee you she'll fuck off the second she's booked to lose matches because she's only there to push her "brand" and nothing else (and the Dub doesn't seem to pay her millions considering she briefly got involved in that shitty crypto ponzi scheme Foley was touting a few months ago).

My point is that she's not some kind of special talent and clearly doesn't care enough to improve in any way. I can browse Instagram for five minutes and find plenty of women who will tick at least the first two boxes.
I do think that Jade is special, charisma-wise. Unfortunately, she has fallen into the same trap as so many in AEW and just relied on catchphrases instead of taking her promos in different directions.
You're right that she needs to improve, but I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue if the rest of the division was booked better.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 20896
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '22, 00:48

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 12:23
cero2k wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 02:53
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 01:43 Ha! I told you these vanilla midgets weren't gonna do worth a got dang. 🥱🥱🥱
he said as they broke the $1M gate mark for a tv show episode
Yeah that doesn't work for me brotha, the point being moreso was that everyone else seems to hate them as much as me now.
Haters gotta hate, and they hate that they're making money the most
Image

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 423
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Thelone » Sep 26th, '22, 15:27

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 15:55I don't buy that the Elite were the only ones who didn't like him, simply because I could see how grandiose and self-serving the sh*t he was doing on-screen was, so I can only imagine that people who had some inkling of whatever machnications he pulled to get them, or who knew what he wanted to do that got toned down/vetoed, or just people who lost TV time to some of his self-serving crap (and Brandi's, too) would also dislike him
I'm sure more were glad that Cody and Brandi were gone, but I really don't remember the reactions from wrestlers directly being as divisive as the dirtsheets were implying.

Also should we talk about the self-fellating shit the Elite and Jericho have done as well? I'm far from a Cody (and Brandi) apologist, but at least I can see the point of making yourself look important (sometimes to ridiculous lenghts yes, like that "I ended racism" promo) so that whoever beats you actually beat "someone of value", not jokers who cosplayed as Sans from Undertale, or Ghostbusters, or Space Jam, or said "69 ME DON!!!", or lost a match by falling in a pool full of orange juice, or fell on a truckload of mattress and cardboard "steel", or gave himself a dead company's main title to stroke his ego once again.
I'm not even talking about casual fans. I'm talking about people who are already big wrestling fans, but just want a well-told story to follow. The people who were big fans of CHIKARA or PROGRESS, or who have gotten into wXw over the past six or seven years. People who want a well-told story first and foremost, and for whom it's merely a bonus if the match is **** instead of ***1/4.
Welcome to the story of why I don't really follow wrestling anymore. My only exposure at this point are random RAWs and Dub horrors on Youtube, like that godawful Shafir promo from Dark or whatever.

Storytelling is totally an issue in current wrestling, and the Dub really exposes it constantly with either almost no story whatsoever or a basic story stretched out over an absurdly long time period because LoNgTeRm StOrYtElLiNg. I also do think that "having compelling/entertaining characters" is another big issue nowadays. There's a reason why guys like MJF or the Acclaimed are getting over and not Daniel CAWcia or Willy Utah or Jumpin' Jungle Jack or Sammy Rapeface or even Sting's nephew.
You're missing my point. They're not f*cking around because they don't care and "just want to have fun." They think that what they're doing actually is constructive. Like Cody and Tony, they think their booking and storytelling is genius-level works of art instead of the plot-holed filled crap that it is.
I can kinda see the idea that in their mind, they're doing "what's best for business", but it's also becoming apparent that they're only willing to do business with their buds and not much else.

So yeah, I guess they're doing "what's best for THEIR business".
I do think that Jade is special, charisma-wise. Unfortunately, she has fallen into the same trap as so many in AEW and just relied on catchphrases instead of taking her promos in different directions.
You're right that she needs to improve, but I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue if the rest of the division was booked better.
Half of the problem is that there is no punishment for slacking off in AEW (looking at you Atom "what's a gym?" Cole). It's not like she's been depushed because she's still garbage in the ring or keeps cutting the same "she's that bitch!" promo or just isn't that over. The other, again, is that she doesn't really care so she'll learn much more slowly than someone who does no matter who's teaching her. Add those two together and you have a no-win situation with someone who looks like a million bucks (no one is denying that) but is limiting herself so much that what you saw day 1 is pretty much what you still have today despite plenty of time and effort spent.

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5930
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 27th, '22, 01:23

cero2k wrote: Sep 26th, '22, 00:48
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 12:23
cero2k wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 02:53

he said as they broke the $1M gate mark for a tv show episode
Yeah that doesn't work for me brotha, the point being moreso was that everyone else seems to hate them as much as me now.
Haters gotta hate, and they hate that they're making money the most
Sir...I was literally SUMMONED to this topic by all the anti-AEW talk, where no one, including you, has anything good to say about them...🤔🤔🤔
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 27050
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 27th, '22, 23:00

Thelone wrote: Sep 26th, '22, 15:27
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 15:55I don't buy that the Elite were the only ones who didn't like him, simply because I could see how grandiose and self-serving the sh*t he was doing on-screen was, so I can only imagine that people who had some inkling of whatever machnications he pulled to get them, or who knew what he wanted to do that got toned down/vetoed, or just people who lost TV time to some of his self-serving crap (and Brandi's, too) would also dislike him
I'm sure more were glad that Cody and Brandi were gone, but I really don't remember the reactions from wrestlers directly being as divisive as the dirtsheets were implying.

Also should we talk about the self-fellating shit the Elite and Jericho have done as well? I'm far from a Cody (and Brandi) apologist, but at least I can see the point of making yourself look important (sometimes to ridiculous lenghts yes, like that "I ended racism" promo) so that whoever beats you actually beat "someone of value", not jokers who cosplayed as Sans from Undertale, or Ghostbusters, or Space Jam, or said "69 ME DON!!!", or lost a match by falling in a pool full of orange juice, or fell on a truckload of mattress and cardboard "steel", or gave himself a dead company's main title to stroke his ego once again.

I'm not saying those people haven't made similar mistakes, but I think that Cody's idea of what it means to be a big star and how you have to act is almost as damaging as the Bucks and Omega's crap. They're goofy, but he's a cartoon who doesn't seem to realize it. I think that Moxley, Punk, Cole, Malakai Black, and Jade Cargill have it figured out a lot more than Cody.

Also, I don't think Jericho winning the ROH World Title is self-aggrandizement. There is a clear story there with Garcia, which Cero laid out it in the other threat. Could they have told it a lot better? Absolutely (and I illustrated how in that same thread). But the idea is clearly for it to be about Garcia in the long term rather than about Jericho.
Thelone wrote: Sep 26th, '22, 15:27
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 15:55I'm not even talking about casual fans. I'm talking about people who are already big wrestling fans, but just want a well-told story to follow. The people who were big fans of CHIKARA or PROGRESS, or who have gotten into wXw over the past six or seven years. People who want a well-told story first and foremost, and for whom it's merely a bonus if the match is **** instead of ***1/4.
Welcome to the story of why I don't really follow wrestling anymore. My only exposure at this point are random RAWs and Dub horrors on Youtube, like that godawful Shafir promo from Dark or whatever.

Storytelling is totally an issue in current wrestling, and the Dub really exposes it constantly with either almost no story whatsoever or a basic story stretched out over an absurdly long time period because LoNgTeRm StOrYtElLiNg. I also do think that "having compelling/entertaining characters" is another big issue nowadays. There's a reason why guys like MJF or the Acclaimed are getting over and not Daniel CAWcia or Willy Utah or Jumpin' Jungle Jack or Sammy Rapeface or even Sting's nephew.
Do yourself a favor and get a wXwNOW subscription through Vimeo, start in early 2016 and just start watching.




Thelone wrote: Sep 26th, '22, 15:27
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 23rd, '22, 15:55You're missing my point. They're not f*cking around because they don't care and "just want to have fun." They think that what they're doing actually is constructive. Like Cody and Tony, they think their booking and storytelling is genius-level works of art instead of the plot-holed filled crap that it is.
I can kinda see the idea that in their mind, they're doing "what's best for business", but it's also becoming apparent that they're only willing to do business with their buds and not much else.

So yeah, I guess they're doing "what's best for THEIR business".
I don't think it's "only willing to do business with their buddies so much as "only willing to do business with people who will work the kind of match they want to have.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 20896
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by cero2k » Sep 28th, '22, 15:41

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 27th, '22, 01:23
Sir...I was literally SUMMONED to this topic by all the anti-AEW talk, where no one, including you, has anything good to say about them...🤔🤔🤔
you've been kinda away, hating on AEW is the new smark
Image

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5930
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 28th, '22, 22:16

cero2k wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 15:41
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 27th, '22, 01:23
Sir...I was literally SUMMONED to this topic by all the anti-AEW talk, where no one, including you, has anything good to say about them...🤔🤔🤔
you've been kinda away, hating on AEW is the new smark
Good! They deserve everything they get!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 20896
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by cero2k » Sep 29th, '22, 17:01

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 22:16
Good! They deserve everything they get!
including million dollar gates?
Image

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5930
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: All Out Post-Show Discussion Thread

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 1st, '22, 01:07

cero2k wrote: Sep 29th, '22, 17:01
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 22:16
Good! They deserve everything they get!
including million dollar gates?
Why and how are you slamming and defending them in the same topic?🤔🤔🤔
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests