BRM Reviews the 10/23/2021 Dyanmite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/23/2021 Dyanmite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '21, 22:10

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR FIRST ROUND MATCH: Bryan Danielson vs. Dustin Rhodes- 7/10
Dustin Rhodes has won 15 of his last 17 and is 10-2 on the year… but isn’t in the top five, and I don’t remember seeing a single one of these wins. Dragon won clean.
Ross was quite annoying on commentary. He just seems to say stuff that doesn’t need to be said while also just kind of feeling weird. Of cous Dragon would like to beat Dustin with a submission “if he can.” He’s trying to win the match! Stuff like that.

KENNY OMEGA (& ADAM COLE, & THE YOUNG BUCKS) PROMO- Kenny cut a great promo on Adam Page, but then they ruined it at the end with that goofy sh*t trying to determine who should get the credit for Kenny’s closing line. Can we please knock that dumb sh*t off?

FTR VS. LUCHA BROS. VIDEO PACKAGE- great

TONY SCHIAVONE’S INTERVIEW WITH STING IS IMMEDIATELY INTERRUPTED BY MJF- very good
MJF said mean things to Sting, so Sting attacked him. Shawn Spears and Wardlow attacked Sting. I could have done without Sting no-selling a chairshot. Spears already needs all the help he can get to be taken as a real threat.
Once Sting got worked down, the chairshots worked a lot better. That was kind of goofy. MJF then cut a promo asking Darby if he had been broken yet and saying that Darby would always be second-best to him. MJF was great here.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD- Dr. Baker cut a good heel promo on Tay Conti.

AEW TBS TITLE FIRST ROUND MATCH: Ruby Soho vs. Penelope Ford- 5/10
A bunch of people go byes due to their rankings. Jim Ross stepped all over Excalibur’s attempt to explain that to us. The old codger then told us that Ruby Soho was the top-ranked contender “before her first match, as a result of winning that battle royale.” How was it before her first match if it happened as a result winning a match?
Penelope threw her jacket in Ruby’s face and then jumped the bell on her. Ruby overcame that, The Bunny trying to distract her, and an attempt to use the brass knuckles, and picked up the win. The announcers (mostly Excalibur) kept referring to this match as “historic” in that annoying, WWE way.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
The heels menaced Ruby but Red Velvet came out to even the odds, so the heels fled. If someone ever picks up the King of Trios idea, please book these two to team with Scarlett Bourdeaux and book them against Crimson from TNA, Daniel Garcia, and Amazing Red. Thanks.

WARDLOW CONFRONTS MJF ABOUT PUSHING HIM IN FRONT OF STING LAST WEEK- dumb
MJF makes and excuse, compliments Wardlow, and says he is making Spears his “accountabili-buddy.” I don’t buy that MJF wouldn’t have had a better defense planned out. And can we knock it off with the comedy?

ANTHONY GREENE vs. BOBBY FISH- no rating, okay segment
Fish won a squash, then turned heel by attacking his opponent after the match just to be mean. Eventually CM Punk came out to chase Fish off.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS LIO RUSH & DANTE MARTIN- good, despite Dante’s woodenness.
Rush is trying to convince Dante that Sydal was a poor mentor. He has gotten the two of them booked against the Sydal Brothers. They should avoid having Dante speak on TV whenever possible.

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR FIRST ROUND MATCH: Eddie Kingston vs. Lance Archer- DUD!
Kingston jumped Acher from behind on the ramp like a total coward, even though he’s supposed to be the babyface. They brawled at ringside, where Archer grabbed a “fan” out of the crowd and slammed him onto Kingston. On Smackdown we’ve got Brock Lesnar being suspended for “endangering” fans in a brawl that didn’t leave the confines of the ringside area, while on Dynamite we have Lance Archer assaulting fans with no consequences. Can no one figure out a logical middle ground?
And f*cking Schiavone, by the way, who was so outraged that MJF would dare interrupt Sting, said absolutely nothing about Lance Archer endangering the life of an innocent bystander.
After that stupid crap, Archer beat on Kingston for a bit until he unfortunately landed on his head while trying a moonsault and they did the safe thing and rushed to the finish. Said finish was Kingston winning with roll-up, which Excalibur put over as the brawler “winning with a wrestling move.” Unfortunately the idea that Eddie also has great wrestling technique was a little undermined by the fact that his opponent had just landed on his head and probably wasn’t going to kick out of anything no matter how good or sloppy the technique might have been.

DAN LAMBERT AND THE MEN OF THE YEAR PRESENT THEIR STIPULATIONS TO SAMMY GUEVARA- okay
Everyone cut good promos on each other. In order for the Inner Circle to get a ten-man tag against the Men of the Year and American Top Team at Full Gear, Sammy Guevara has to put the TNT Title on the line next week against Ethan Page in a match where if Sammy loses, he must “leave the Inner Circle forever.” That last part is the part I have a problem with. What does that mean, exactly? That he can’t team with them? Does it mean he can never come out to make the save if they’re in trouble? Does it mean he can’t hang out with them at the bar? How are you going to enforce that?
The heels tried to attack Sammy, but Hager and LAX were laying in wait, and the heels were foiled.

JON MOXLEY PROMO- bad
I get that he loves his family and all, but maybe don’t say that the title and tournament are irrelevant. If the most important thing for you is to get home safely to your family, find another job, dude.

ADAM PAGE VISITS WITH THE DARK ORDER BACKSTAGE- bad
Adam Page is a very forgiving man. “Please don’t get involved in my match” should not be taken to mean “don’t help me if I’m on the wrong end of a gang-beating.” The focus for next week’s show is what Halloween costumes the Dork Order and the Elite will be wearing. Really.

JUNGLE BOY vs. BRANDON CUTLER- squash
Excalibur referred to this as a “statement victory,” but I don’t understand why we’re supposed to be impressed by Jungle Boy beating up a loser stooge.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Jungle Boy challenges any member of the Elite to come out and fight him. They don’t, so he puts Cutler in the Snare Trap. I don’t understand why he thinks that will make them come, as they have made it clear that they don’t care about Cutler at all.
But I guess Jungle Boy knows better than me, because out came Adam Cole to cut a promo on him. This was a distraction so that the Young Bucks could attack Jungle Boy from behind. They hit him with a BTE trigger and then threw him off the stage.

MIRO VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

MALAKAI BLACK vs. CODY RHODES- 7.75/10
I could have done without the interference from Andrade, but even with it, this was a really great match. THIS is the Cody I want to see, not the overdramatic clown or the self-important douchebag.

This was a decent episode of Dynamite, bookended by great matches, and with the stuff in the middle varying widely in quality, but nothing was really terrible.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/23/2021 Dyanmite

Post by Thelone » Oct 25th, '21, 17:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 24th, '21, 22:10KENNY OMEGA (& ADAM COLE, & THE YOUNG BUCKS) PROMO- Kenny cut a great promo on Adam Page, but then they ruined it at the end with that goofy sh*t trying to determine who should get the credit for Kenny’s closing line. Can we please knock that dumb sh*t off?
Maybe they'll make more constipated faces on BTE because it's funny or something.
TONY SCHIAVONE’S INTERVIEW WITH STING IS IMMEDIATELY INTERRUPTED BY MJF- very good
MJF said mean things to Sting, so Sting attacked him. Shawn Spears and Wardlow attacked Sting. I could have done without Sting no-selling a chairshot. Spears already needs all the help he can get to be taken as a real threat.
Once Sting got worked down, the chairshots worked a lot better. That was kind of goofy. MJF then cut a promo asking Darby if he had been broken yet and saying that Darby would always be second-best to him. MJF was great here.
Beating up Sting? Check. Next week : MJF will say mean things to Allin!!!
TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD- Dr. Baker cut a good heel promo on Tay Conti.
Too bad this seems to be about... who has the better ass of the two according to their Twitter exchanges since then (and Cargill randomly jumping in).
WARDLOW CONFRONTS MJF ABOUT PUSHING HIM IN FRONT OF STING LAST WEEK- dumb
MJF makes and excuse, compliments Wardlow, and says he is making Spears his “accountabili-buddy.” I don’t buy that MJF wouldn’t have had a better defense planned out. And can we knock it off with the comedy?
More """longterm storytelling""" here with those tensions between Wardlow and MJF. It's only been like a year and a half after all, and for a feud that is Rampage worthy at best.
ANTHONY GREENE vs. BOBBY FISH- no rating, okay segment
Fish won a squash, then turned heel by attacking his opponent after the match just to be mean. Eventually CM Punk came out to chase Fish off.
"Tune in next week to see another cold Punk match against a lower midcarder for his HISTORIC Dynamite debut". Remember when people were claiming after his debut (and Bryan's) that this was the beginning of a new boom period for wrestling?
AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR FIRST ROUND MATCH: Eddie Kingston vs. Lance Archer- DUD!
I hope this doesn't happen obviously, but someone's gonna end up paralyzed or worse if they keep going balls to wall for nothing matches and/or featuring barely trained goofs all over their four shows.
ADAM PAGE VISITS WITH THE DARK ORDER BACKSTAGE- bad
Adam Page is a very forgiving man. “Please don’t get involved in my match” should not be taken to mean “don’t help me if I’m on the wrong end of a gang-beating.” The focus for next week’s show is what Halloween costumes the Dork Order and the Elite will be wearing. Really.
Why am I not surprised they're still having them interact with each other?
JUNGLE BOY vs. BRANDON CUTLER- squash
Excalibur referred to this as a “statement victory,” but I don’t understand why we’re supposed to be impressed by Jungle Boy beating up a loser stooge.
Ah yes, plucky underdog Jungle Boy with his *checks¨* 13-3 singles record this year. Of course he's been mostly losing on TV when that actually counts, but hey.
MALAKAI BLACK vs. CODY RHODES- 7.75/10
I could have done without the interference from Andrade, but even with it, this was a really great match. THIS is the Cody I want to see, not the overdramatic clown or the self-important douchebag.
Well of course he didn't have to do his ridiculous theatrics this time, he finally got his win back. Anyway, down to Dark with you Black, this totally isn't a demotion since both Bryan and Cole are wrestling there as well.