BRM Reviews the 7/7/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/7/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 31st, '22, 11:54

KENNY WILLIAMS vs. TIGER TURAN- 5.5/10
Turan won by roll-up when Kenny got too distracted insisting that Tiger was Amir Jordan.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Kenny jumped Tiger Turan from behind and pulled his mask off to reveal… another mask. I usually hate that, but it makes sense here, as Williams has been insisting that he will unmask Turan. Kenny started to attack again, but by this point, referees and security were able to come out and stop him.

JOSH BRIGGS & BROOKS JENSEN SHOW UP IN NXT WITH THE NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLES AND ARE CONFRONTED BY PRETTY DEADLY- It was nice to have an update on what’s happening with the belts.

EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE FROM AFTER LAST WEEK’S SHOW OF TRENT SEVEN- GREAT!
Management and security yelled at him for inciting a fan to jump over the barricade and then attacking said fan, and he yelled back. Sam Gradwell showed up and confronted him as well, and he walked off.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, DIE FAMILIE CONFRONT OLIVER CARTER IN THE UK PC- good
They want him to join them, so they once again frame Ashton Smith has having “abandoned” him and cost him the tag titles with his injury. Carter isn’t having it. Challenges are thrown around, and we’ll get Oliver vs. Teoman soon.

JOSH MORRELL vs. PRIMATE- 5/10
Nigel said “chimpin’ ain’t easy.” I laughed my ass off. I cannot possibly care about Primate, so I was very happy to see Morrell pick up what they made feel like a real upset victory.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, BLAIR DAVENPORT’S INTERVIEW AS INTERRUPTED BY AMALE AS SHE SHOWED UP AT THE ARENA- fine
Davenport easily verbally out-sparred Amale, then left. Stevie Turner, who had been watching from the background came up and made fun of Amale, so they had a confrontation. Amale said she that Davenport should watch what she does to the Stevie next week, as they are apparently wrestling.

ILJA DRAGUNOV PROMO- awesome
Ilja made Wolfgang feel like a dangerous potential challenger.

TRENT SEVEN vs. A JOBBER- no rating, good segment
Trent is still being billed as from Moustache Mountain. Interesting. They showed the footage of Seven baiting the fan to jump the barricade, but wouldn’t show us Trent kicking the fan in the nuts because they didn’t want to “glorify his actions.”
This was a long squash, but it was necessary to get over Seven’s new demeanor, which is a mix of sadism, disdain, and entitled arrogance that works very well.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Seven locked on a submission, but Sam Gradwell came out to make the save.

NOAM DAR VS. MARK COFFEY VIDEO PACKAGE- good
Mark blamed his previous loss on listening to Joe when he shouldn’t have. This should have come off as heelish, but somehow it didn’t.
XIA BROOKSIDE & ELIZA ALEXANDER vs. MEIKO SATOMURA & SARRAY- 6.75/10
A solid win for the champ and her new friend. Millie McKenzie’s absence from ringside felt notable, but wasn’t commented on.

This was a decent episode of NXT UK, more about solid video packages and moving stories along than it was about delivering payoffs. They did a very good job of building up next week’s show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3