BRM Reviews the 6/2/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/2/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '22, 21:25

SAM GRADWELL vs. VON WAGNER- 5.75/10
There was a weird moment at the beginning of Gradwell’s comeback where he hit a bodyslam and then just fell down, but other than that, this was fine. There is definitely something there in Wagner. I’m just not sure whether the current regime in WWE has the potential to unlock it.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, AN INTERVIEW WITH XIA BROOKESIDE & ELIZA ALEXANDER WAS INTERRUPTED BY AMELE- fine
Amele is angry about their cheating and wants a singles match against Eliza.

IVY NILE VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- decent
She’s a babyface who will work hard and study tape to beat Meiko Satomura.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, MARK ANDREWS SPOTTED KENNY WILLIAMS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING TO HIS CAR- decent
They brawled. It was quickly broken up. We saw Tiger Turan crouching near a fence, so we know that he is not Mark Andrews under the mask. I don’t care one bit about this mystery.

ANGEL HAYZE vs. STEVIE TURNER- 4/10
Turner cut an in-set promo which is a great example of why I groan every time I see her or hear her name. She feels like she saw some b-movie sci-fi and created a character based on it rather than feeling like an actual person. Turner won cleanly.

AFTER LAST WEEK’S SHOW, MILLIE MCKENZIE APOLOGIZES TO MEIKO SATOMURA FOR LETTING HER DOWN BY LOSING TO LASH LEGEND- odd
Obviously Meiko would have preferred for her protégé to win, but Meiko hadn’t made any sort of big deal about this match, so Millie apologizing to her for losing felt really weird. Meiko responded to this by giving Millie what Nigel called “sage advice.” Said advice was to “work harder and get better.”

NOAM DAR & SHA SAMUELS PROMO- bad
These two are painfully annoying. I don’t care if they win or lose against Damon Kemp & Wolfgang next week. I only care that they get off of my screen as quickly as possible.

NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Moustache Mountain(c) vs. Aston Smith & Oliver Carter vs. Die Familie (Rohan Raja & Teoman)- 7.75/10
There was lots of great action here, but the real story is yet another brilliant finish in this storyline. Teoman grabbed one of the tag titles to use as a weapon. Trent got the belt away from, then started to fight with Oliver Carter. Carter kicked out of a Seven-Star Lariat, at which point Trent grabbed the belt (as the referee was trying to get it out of the ring) and lined Carter up for a shot with it, but Tyler Bate saw this and yanked the belt away from him, distracting Trent and throwing him off balance, which allowed Oliver Smith to roll him up and win the titles.
If, like me, you hate the “there are no DQs in a three-way” crap, then Trent is in the wrong here, because he was trying to use a weapon, and against someone who had not tried to use it on him first, and thus Tyler has caught Trent cheating, but in Trent’s desperate mind, he has justified his actions because Teoman tried to use the belt on him first, and thus Tyler should not have stopped him, and it’s Tyler’s fault they lost. If you accept that there are no DQs in a three-way means that weapons, low blows, etc. are fair game, then Trent thinks that Tyler has cost them the titles by being too soft to do what is necessary. Either way, it works. (And I will admit that the approach to take here is the latter, because the rules are the rules, even if we think they are stupid. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it's wrong to think that one shouldn’t resort to such tactic, even if they are theoretically legal, which explains Tyler’s actions here from an ethical point of view).
And, even more amazingly, the fact that this was not a clean finish in no way took away from Smith & Carter’s big win. Part of that is due to the fact that we already know they are worthy because they we saw in their previous matches against Moustache Mountain that they could have- and, in fact, would have- beaten them if not for Trent’s shenanigans, but there is also part of that that is down to them simply being such likeable, hard-working characters who were put into a position where we wanted to see them finally get that big win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great
Trent and Tyler argued, with Trent walking off, telling Tyler that “it’s done. I told you if I lost that, that was it.”

Another decent episode of NXT UK, although once again on the strength of the main event. I was hoping the actual match for Smith & Carter’s big win would be a little better, but the moment itself certainly delivered, and that’s what my last memory of this show will be.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3