BRM Reviews the 5/5/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/5/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 13th, '22, 10:42

EARLIER TODAY, LASH LEGEND ARRIVED AT THE BUILDING AND TREATED SOMEONE LIKE A SERVANT- fine character stuff

SUPERNOVA SESSIONS WITH SPECIAL GUEST LASH LEGEND- horrendous
This only went about six minutes, and it still felt like having teeth pulled without anesthesia. Dar and Samuels were loud, obnoxious clowns. Lash wound up cutting a promo at the end where essentially all she said was that she was the best. She couldn’t have done this in a fifteen-second promo?

SID SCALA’S ANNOUNCEMENT IS INTERRUPTED BY VON WAGNER- snore
Said announcement was that there would be “two” tag team matches, and the winners would face off for #1 contendership in a three-way. Mind showing your math there, Sid?
Before Wagner could say much of anything, Sam Gradwell showed up, as I guess he just happened to be walking by as well. Yelling happened. Wagner said his catchphrase.

DAMON KEMP INTERRUPTS SHA SAMUELS ATTEMPT TO HIT ON LASH LEGEND- fine
He made fun of Sha, which Lash found hilarious. Samuels demands to know why Kemp did this, to which Kemp responded that he felt disrespected by the poor odds Samuels gave him in the f*cking BETTING RING they are still running. HOW IS THIS ALLOWED?!
Kemp was pretty good here, which I was not expecting, considering what the PC has become. That being said, he told Samuels to “watch this next match,” which was baffling, because the next match was…

TIGER TURAN vs. TATE MAYFAIRS- no rating, okay squash
They pushed that Turan is a mystery-man and no one knows who he is. Turan won with a senton bomb.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, ASHTON SMITH & OLIVER CARTER SHOW UP AT THE PC AND TRADE BARBS WITH GALLUS- meh
Apparently they’re booked against each other.

IVY NILE VIDEO PACKAGE- She debuts next week

NINA SAMUELS PROMO- She’s upset with Ivy Nile getting attention.

DAMON KEMP vs. DANNY JONES- okay squash
I’m fine with squashes going long for amateur guys or high-flyers to showcase their stuff a bit more than with power guys.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Sha Samuels attacked Kemp after the match.

TIGER TURAN IS GREETED WITH CLAPPING BY MANY IN THE LOCKER ROOM- Kenny Williams was upset by this. I guess Turan was the guy in the crowd the other week.

DIE FAMILIE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine
Charlie Dempsey revealed that A-Kid’s offer to him was a challenge for a match. Raja told us that he and Teoman are in the tag team #1 contendership tournament.

JORDAN DEVLIN VS. ILJA DERAGUNOV VIDEO PACKAGE- great

WORLD OF DARKNESS MATCH FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN’S TITLE: Meiko Satomura(c) vs. Isla Dawn- 7.5/10
As Isla was making her entrance, we were FINALLY told the rules of this match: No DQs, no count-outs…and the lights are turned down. I’m certain I made fun of TNA for doing this exact thing at some point (stemming from that time Decay kidnapped Gail Kim, I think?). But, on the bright side it’s not a magical bullsh*t match, which is what I was really worried about.
So they trade some strikes and get some weapons out and… dammit. I spoke too soon. Isla is summoning smoke from under the ring. I’m not really sure how she thinks this will help her. She then got that lock of Dani Luna’s hair that she took out of a box and rubbed it in Meiko’s eyes to blind her. That was the extent of the magical silliness, but it was so pointless that it makes one wonder why they would even do it at all.
They hit each other with weapons. There were some good spots in here, but the “Isla ties Meiko to the ring post and hits her with stuff” spot was painfully slow, and felt like it reset the intensity back down to zero.

This was a meh episode of NXT UK, with lots of squashes and introducing these new wrestlers from NXT 2.0, none of whom really seem to serve much purpose. Because of that, it was going to be on the main event to carry the show, and while it was great, it was good enough to make the show as a whole a success.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3