BRM Reviews the 3/24/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/24/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » May 10th, '22, 20:39

SAXON HUXLEY & A-KID vs. DIE FAMILIE (Rohan Raja & Charlie Dempsey) (w/Teoman)- 6.75/10
Good tag team stuff. The crowd liked Huxley’s clown-show act far too much for me to be able to tolerate. The heels won with interference from Teoman.

XIA BROOKSIDE INTERRUPTS AMELE’S INTERVIEW- meh
She wants a rematch. Amale said yes. The cameraman tried to interview Xia, but she told him to go away… so of course he secretly followed her with a camera, because that’s not creepy at all. She called her father and said “it’s time.”

WILD BOAR vs. PRIMATE (w/Eddie Dennis & T-Bone)- 5.75/10
Boar overcame a bunch of interference to get the win.

ILJA DRAGUNOV PROMO- AWESOME!
He accepts Roderick Strong’s challenge to a title match.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, KENNY WILLIAMS TRIES TO IGNORE AN INTERVIEW BECAUSE HIS CAR KEYS ARE MISSING- It turns out his car has been destroyed. I don’t find this sort of vandalism to be a babyface thing to do.

DANNY JONES vs. JORDAN DEVLIN- 5/10
Devlin won with a brainbuster in a match that went a lot longer than it needed to. Devlin cut a great little arrogant heel promo on his way to the back.

MOUSTACHE MOUNTAIN VS. ASHTON SMITH & OLIVER CARTER VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMOS- great
Ashton Smith and Trent Seven face off next week.

MARK COFFEY VS. NOAM DAR VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMOS- AWESOME!
They face off in a Heritage Cup Title match next week.

NXT UK TITLE MATCH: Meiko Satomura(c) vs. Isla Dawn- 7.75/10
Meiko won cleanly with a cool roll-up. They didn’t ever quite have me convinced that Isla was going to win, but they did all of the right stuff to start making me about my absolute certainly in Meiko’s victory by the end. I guess you can argue that the roll-up finish keeps Isla close to the top to build up for another title shot, but a loss is still a loss, and doubly so when your whole story is “I did some magical thing that will now allow me to beat people I previously lost to” and then you lose. The “my spell will help me win” just don’t work as well as the thing that makes us think the outcome will be different in a rematch, even more so than if it was, say a new “ruthless attitude” or whatever that could still feel like a difference-maker even if the opponent caught you with a flash pin the first time.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Isla Dawn yanks the title belt away from the referee and leaves with it. No one tried to stop her. Not Meiko, not Sid Scala, not security. Not Millie McKenzie. No one.

This was a great episode of NXT UK, with some very good matches and some AWESOME promos that really have me psyched up for next week’s show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3