BRM Reviews the 9/28/2021 NXT (painfully boring)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/28/2021 NXT (painfully boring)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 1st, '21, 00:59

HIT ROW PROMO- bad
It’s their turn to play John Cena tonight and tell us about all of the matches that are coming up. Any time a wrestler does that, I start to zone out.
Eventually they let B-Fab cut a promo to build up her big grudge match. The others would pipe in and finisher her sentences in unison. It was extremely annoying.

NO DISQUALIFICAITONS MATCH: B-Fab (w/Hit Row) vs. Elektra Lopez (w/Legado del Fantasma)- 5.75/10
The dudes started to fight at ringside and referees came out to remove them. As I’m sure you’ve guessed, this happened right before a commercial break.
I always enjoy someone finding a new way to use a table, so that was nice to see. This was a sufficiently vicious weapons match for its spot on the card and the time it got, but if I were booking it, I would have given them more time and tried to get the match some attention. Lopez got the win.

FOOTAGE FROM INDI & DEXTER’S HONEYMOON- dumb
They are being normal. Johnny and Candice are still spying on them. Johnny scared them out of the water by wearing a shark fin on his head when he thought they were getting too handsy.

JOE GACY PROMO- more of the same crap from last week. I know it has only been two weeks and there has been a lot of dumb crap this year, but this already feels like a strong contender for Worst Gimmick.

ONEY LORCAN vs. XYON QUINN- 2/10
This was pretty good for a three-minute brawl. Quinn won clean.

GRAYSON WALLER VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- bad
He comes off like an annoying, arrogant heel. All this did was make me want to see Roddy destroy him. Talking your way into a title shot you have done nothing to earn is not a babyface trait.

SAMANTHA IRVIN INTERVIEWS MSK/TAG TEAM TITLE SEGMENT- terrible
MSK were extremely annoying. In addition to being annoying, they talked about WWE’s favorite babyface buzz-phrase. That’s right. They want to be “fighting champions.” Grizzled Young Veterans came out and said that they should have gotten a title shot in a regular two-on-two match and not in a three-way. Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams came out and Hayes noted that he could cash in his Breakout Tournament contract for a tag title shot. They began to argue, but the white in MSK told them to “shut your annoying asses up,” which isn’t even the pot calling the kettle black so much as it is the pot calling a lemon black. This man might be the single most annoying person I have ever seen on a wrestling show. Worse than Grado. I wanted to see all four heels smash his face into the ringpost over and over and over again until he could never speak again. The next time they amend the Geneva Convention, they need to add “forcing POWs to spend three minutes in a room with Nash Carter” to their list of war crimes.
Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen then came out. Each had one line, and for both of them that line included calling the other “brother.” Jensen didn’t like the way Williams was looking at them, so he started a fight. While GYV were distracted by this, MSK launched a cowardly assault on them. MSK then dove onto everyone. Unfortunately, Carter did not land on his face and shatter his jaw. MSK got up from their dive, got back into the ring, and posed with the belts, and apparently if you do that it means you win unscheduled brawl.
No one here came off as likable, but at least with GYZ and Hayes/Williams, that was the goal.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS RAQUEL GONZALEZ- meh
Gonzalez cut a meh promo on Franky. Toxic Attraction walked through her promo because they’re jerks. Remember when the Inner Circle beat Orange Cassidy to death for doing that? I’d like to Raquel do that to someone. Mandy said that Gonzalez’s title would look better on her.

NXT WOMEN’S TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Zoey Stark & Io Shirai(c) vs. Toxic Attraction (w/Mandy Rose)- 6.75/10
Neither team got their entrance shown. Way to make the titles look important. The babyfaces cleanly retained their titles in a very good match.

BRON BREAKKER VIDEO PACKAGE- very good
He says he’s an ass-kicker with no friends. He wants the NXT Title.

THE ANNOUNCERS INTERVIEW TOMMASO CIAMPA VIA ZOOM ON CIAMPA’S PHONE- good
Ciampa holding his phone while shooting this felt very low-rent. Ciampa cut a good promo saying that “Bron Breakker is going to drown in an ocean of inexperience.”

ANDRE CHASE vs. BOA (w/Mei Ying)- DUD!
Chase controlled the majority of the match. He went outside and talked trash to Mei Ying, who blew barely-visible mist into his eyes while the referee was busy with Boa, resulting in him getting pinned. Last week’s segment and this sort of finish have combined to make Chase feel like a total clown, while Boa has been shown to be ineffective week after week, so getting his ass kicked and then winning via interference didn’t help him any, either.

MORE IN-DEX/GARGANOS CLOWN SHOW BULLSH*T- stupid

NXT CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Roderick Strong(c) (w/Diamond Mine) vs. Grayson Waller- 6.5/10
Waller jumped the bell on Roddy, but at least he did it while he was facing him. Roddy eventually won clean. I didn’t like the visual of the Creed Brothers and Ivy Nile playing cheerleaders on the outside. It seems like the wrong personality for all of them. They should be intense killers.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS L.A. KNIGHT- fine
He’s unhappy with something Odessey Jones said about him, so he wants a match against him next week. As fate would have it, Odessey Jones happened to be walking by, and he accepted the challenge. Andre Chase stormed by, shouting about he should have won by DQ in this match from twenty minutes ago. Knight used his distraction as an opportunity to attack Jones.

DANTE CHEN VIDEO PACKAGE- meh

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS TREY BAXTER AND CORA JADE- meh
The important part here is that Baxter is still sad about his loss.

LASHING OUT WITH SPECIAL GUEST EMBER MOON-
Lashing Out is Lash Legend’s talk show. They’re doing it like a late-night show where she does a monologue with graphics. They have a canned audience for her, too, which I predict will get annoying quite quickly. She started out talking about the WWE Draft. She told us that she knows something about drafts because she was selected in the WNBA draft, and they showed a picture of her… posing victoriously with a trophy and cutting the net down. You’d think they would show her getting selected in the draft, but apparently not.
Also, I love how they give her a fake name, and then immediately tell us things that will lead any curious viewer to discover that the name they have told us isn’t her real name. Why not just let her be Anriel Howard?
This was terrible. It’s not her fault. She played the character very well, but the gimmick is just so f*cking stupid. Nothing she said here gave me any indication that she gives a sh*t about being a professional wrestler and winning wrestling matches. Hell, nothing she said here even indicated that she is one. Also, they advertised that Ember Moon would be her guest, but Ember was nowhere in sight.

KYLE O’REILLY vs. RIDGE HOLLAND (w/Pete Dunne)- 4/10
They brawled on their way to the ring. Kyle won with a roll-up in five in a match minutes after bonking Holland into Dunne. This was very good for the time it got.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Dunne and Holland attacked Kyle. I was waiting for Oney Lorcan to come make the save, but instead Kyle’s savior was Von Wagner.

TONY D’ANGELO PROMO- We get it. He’s a mafioso.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Raquel Gonzalez(c) vs. Franky Monet (w/Robert Stone & Jessi Kamea)- 6.25/10
Gonzalez overcame a back injury to win clean.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Toxic Attraction came out and attacked Franky and her group on the ramp. They then surrounded Raquel. She tried to fight but got overwhelmed. They beat her down for long enough that you’d think the referees would come out but they didn’t.

This was a bad episode of NXT. Yes, the matches were short and that hurt, but the real issues were 1) that so many of the new characters stink, 2) far too many of the characters are unlikable 3) there is far too much comedy, and 4) it was SOOOOO F*CKING BORING. I might well give up on NXT soon.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/28/2021 NXT (painfully boring)

Post by Thelone » Oct 1st, '21, 08:37

Two hours is just too long for a developmental show. Even in the glory days of NXT as developmental (that's a mouthful), the show wasn't exactly exciting and must-see, but you always had some storyline bits and/or a decent match/promo to keep your attention and make you look forward to the next week. When you spread that out for two hours, it turns the show into a slog.

It doesn't help that they've switched from the old NXT to this version almost overnight and they have debuted something like 20-25 new wrestlers in the last two months. To be fair, a good shake-up was needed because the roster has been stagnant for too long and some of the newer guys will be rough early on (which should be expected now), but there's too many of them and about half shouldn't be on TV yet. Only Bron "Don't call me Steiner" Breakker and the Creeds should get a big push right now, the others should at best stick to the midcard for the time being (or 205 Live since it's NXT's B-show now apparently).

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 1st, '21, 09:56

If you like Bryan and Vinny shows with them going crazy over how bad a show was, this is a good episode to seek out.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 1st, '21, 12:46

cero2k wrote: Oct 1st, '21, 09:56 If you like Bryan and Vinny shows with them going crazy over how bad a show was, this is a good episode to seek out.
Thanks for the heads up.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3