BRM Reviews the 9/7/2021 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/7/2021 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '21, 22:03

EMBER MOON vs. KAY LEE RAY- 7.5/10
KLR won clean in a great technical match. Ember hit a move that was essentially a One-Winged Angel except instead of getting the opponent up onto her shoulder’s, she got under her lg and just flipped her the whole way forward and over. I wonder if Omega could do that with a sufficiently tall opponent.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS PETE DUNNE’S CREW- good
Dunne orders Burch and Lorcan to not only win the titles back but to also “end MSK.”

FOOTAGE FROM INDI HARTWELL’S BACHELORETTE PARTY- Hey, look. She has a friend who isn’t a wrestler!
Why are Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro there? They have always been babyfaces and Indi has always been a heel. How are they friends? Then again, if they keep up how annoying they are being with the talking in unison and doing Tik-Tok, they’re quickly going to be come heels. I really hope that the idea is to turn them heel, because the idea that anyone would think the way they were behaving was anything other than extremely obnoxious is baffling to me.
Candice seems to be okay with Dexter now, but I’m better that’s a ruse. Candice has “spy gear” that she is using to spy on the bachelor party.

Tom Phillips apparently didn’t notice that the footage from the bachelorette party was labeled “over the weekend,” as he seems to think it is happening right now.

CARMELO HAYES vs. SANTOS ESCOBAR (w/Legado del Fantasma)- 6.5/10
Hayes’ back got worked over. They give Elektra Lopez a spot where she hit a big body slam on Hayes right before the finish, so they’re pushing her as a powerhouse.

MALCOLM BIVENS INTRODUCES THE CREED BROTHERS- fine

WILLIAM REGAL ANNOUNCES A #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH NEXT WEEK- It will be Pete Dunne vs. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Kyle O’Reilly vs. L.A. Knight. It’s nice to see that Mr. Regal is overlooking the loss Knight suffered that was caused by the cheating ways of Cameron Grimes and Ted Dibiase.

PAXTON AVERILL & CHUCK VIOLA vs. THE CREED BROTHERS (w/Diamond Mine)- great squash!
I love how the Creed Brothers actually feel like amateur wrestlers.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS EMBER MOON- good
She’s tired of losing and says that tonight’s loss has opened her eyes. Heel turn incoming.

HIT ROW PROMO- great!

NXT WOMEN’S TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Io Shirai & Zoey Stark(c) vs. Kayden Carter & Kacy Catanzaro- 6.75/10

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- decent
Mandy Rose’s group of heels attacked Team KC on the stage. Mandy is wearing a black protective mask after last week’s injury.

KYLE O’REILLY PROMO- good

FOOTAGE FROM DEXTER LUMIS’ BACHELOR PARTY- dumb
I don’t buy that Dexter Lumis has friends or would want a bachelor party. Also, that zombie referee is there from that dumb match last year.
Cameron Grimes has decided to pay for both the bachelor party and the wedding for no discernable reason. Gargano even pointed out that Grimes hates Lumis because Lumis terrorized him last year, but apparently Grimes decided to get a bunch of random wrestlers together to throw a completely unasked-for bachelor party for Lumis. They do stuff while Indi and Candice spy on them. Much dumb sh*t happened. Gargano finally accepted Dexter.

FRANKY MONET’S CREW BACKSTAGE- good character dynamics, bad logic
Franky and Jessi were burying Indi and Dexter’s wedding and saying that Indi’s dress would not be a designer dress. Robert Stone came in and announced that he had gotten Franky a shot at the NXT Women’s Title next week. Why the hell did Regal agree to this? If she has done anything to earn this, I have no memory of it. Maybe she’s been winning matches on AEW Dark.

VIRGINIA FERRY vs. MEI YING (w/Boa)- dull squas
I’m going to guess that Ms. Ferry’s middle name is Harper. That’s a little geography joke for you.
Mei Ying was nice enough not to use her magic. Just her martial arts. This looked very corny. Also, she pinned her opponent with a goozle, which should not have been allowed because it’s an illegal hold.

L.A. KNIGHT PROMO- very good

TOMMASO CIAMPA PROMO- great

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: MSK(c) vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan (w/Pete Dunne & Ridge Holland)- 7.25/10
Beth Phoenix dais that MSK “literally do things that break the laws of physics.” If I were running this show I would have cut her mic for the rest of the show and fired her the moment she got to the back.
MSK won clean to retain.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Dunne and Holland attacked Burch and Lorcan, presumably kicking them out of their group. I liked this, but I can’t quite put my finger on why I thought this was necessary.

This was a solid episode of NXT. The In-Dex/Garganos crap was dumb as always, but pretty much everything else was solid and did a nice job of moving things along. The crowd was way too generous with their “THIS IS AWESOME!” chants, though.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3