BRM Reviews the 3/6/2019 NXT UK (a boredom sandwich)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/6/2019 NXT UK (a boredom sandwich)

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 7th, '19, 22:03

JOSEPH CONNERS vs. EL LIGERO- 7/10
We got inset promos from both men refreshing the story for those who might not remember (Ligero won their previous match, Conners blamed the loss on a “bad day” and insisted that Ligero would not beat him again. Liger think Conners is just making excuses).
A very strong opener that played into the story well on the finish as well as building its own internal story. Ligero managed to get the win via flash pin when Conners got a little too cocky and took a little too long to follow up. Ligero offered a post-match handshake but Conners snubbed him.

TONI STORM INTERIVEW- meh
She wants to know what’s next for her. As far as Toni Storm promos go, this wasn’t very good. Mostly because she didn’t really have anything to say. The whole point of this was so Jinny could show up as she left and stare at her from behind, which was pretty lame. It would have been better to just not do this.

WILD BOAR & PRIMATE VIDEO PACKAGE- These guys are a perfect example of guys who just bog this show down, slowing down the stories of people I actually care about. Does this show really need two more angry bearded British men?
Speaking of angry bearded British men…

GALLUS PROMO- good, but mostly because of the dynamic they developed with Joe Coffey as the leader and the other two as his equally dangerous but less talkative henchmen.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS WALTER- WALTER ignores Radzie. Nigel explains to us that WALTER is “a man of very few words who lets his actions do the talking for him.” This was heavy-handed, but kind of necessary to not make WALTER look like a dick.

THE EUROPEAN UNION (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner) vs. LEWIS HOWLEY & SAM STOKER- squash

NINA SAMUELS VIDEO PACKAGE- pointless filler

KAY LEE RAY VIDEO PACKAGE- very short, and with none of the talking from last week. She debuts next week.

CHARLIE MORGAN vs. NINA SAMUELS- semi-squash
Can we give Nina and actual feud now? These squashes are getting really old, really quick (especially when it feels like we get at least two squashes a week most weeks).

PETE DUNNE PRESS CONFERENCE- fine
Also, Johnny Saint announced that we’re getting Dunne & WALTER vs. The Coffey Brothers next week.

JEFF JARRETT IS IN THE CROWD- I’m sure there is a Global Force Wrestling joke in here somewhere but I’m too lazy to put in the effort to find it.

FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MATCH: Jordan Devlin vs. Travis Banks- 8.5/10
An AWESOME grudge match that made excellent use of both the stipulation and the various elements of the feud. This is what a blow-off match should be! Devlin doing a double-leg on the outside and then using the ring for extra leverage on the stack-up pin will probably be one of my favorite spots all year. GENIUS.

This show was a bunch of boring stuff sandwiched between two excellent pieces of in-ring bread. For a feud that I thought dragged on for way too long due to being unnecessarily extended due to Hunter wanting to get one surprise pop for Finn Balor at a TakeOver show, the main event ensured that I will always have a positive memory of an excellent rising stars feud, and the opener has me actually caring about two guys who never would have thought it possible for me to care about a mere month ago.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3