BRM Reviews the 1/23/2019 NXT (AWESOME!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/23/2019 NXT (AWESOME!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 25th, '19, 01:07

OPENING SEGMENT- fine
The Velvet Dream came out and said that he wanted the North American Title. Undisputed Era’s Adam Cole and Bobby Fish then came out to interrupt him. Adam Cole said that UE would win all of the belts in 2019 and Bobby Fish said TVD needed to live in reality and not get the fans’ hopes up. Velveteen Dream implied that Fish was Cole’s lackey (that’ show Nigel interpreted the statement, anyway. I wasn’t too sure what TVD was implying), so first Fish and then Cole charged at TVD and both got sent to the outside. TVD then left victoriously while Fish and Cole shouted angrily from the ring.

SHAYNA BASZLER VS. BIANCA BELAIR VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME!

Not only has Matt Riddle been medically cleared to compete, but he has also been booked to face Kassius Ohno at TakeOver: Phoenix.

FABIAN AICHNER & MARCEL BARTHEL vs. DANNY BURCH & ONEY LORCAN- 6.75/10
HOLY CRAP! I don’t think I’ve ever given a match under five minutes a rating this high, and I doubt I ever will again.

TOMMASO CIAMPA VS. ALEISTER BLACK VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome!

IO SHIRAI & KAIRI SANE vs. AMBER NOVA & TANEA BROOKS- squash
On one side of the ring we have two of the best female wrestlers of the past decade. And on the other side we have… Rebel from The Menagerie. Thankfully, this was a squash to Rebel didn’t have to do anything other than get beaten up, and considering that her opponents are Joshi’s, my guess is that it’s pretty hard to screw up selling when your opponents are probably just hitting you for real.

IO SHIRAI & KAIRI SANE PROMO & CONFRONTATION WITH JESSAMYN DUKE & MARINA SHAFIR- good.
The highlight of this was the heels utter disgust with Io and Kairi acting “adorable.”

THE VELVETEEN DREAM vs. BOBBY FISH (w/Adam Cole)- 7.25/10
This was very good for the time it got. The two stories for Cole’s meddling and Fish working over TVD’s knee… and holy crap was TVD’s selling FANTASTIC!

RECAP OF THE FORGOTTEN SONS ATTACKING THE STREET PROFITS LAST WEEK- This was a necessary recap because I had already forgotten about it. Also, they announced a match between these two teams for next week. Also announced for next week is Io & Kairi vs. the Horsewomen.

BIG, CRAZY GO-HOME SEGMENT- AWESOME!
Ricochet cuts a great promo on Johnny Gargano, who responds by coming out and cutting a promo in response that is also a ruse for him to get closer to Ricochet before attacking him but Ricochet sees it coming and winds up with an advantage in their brawl because of this. Then Tommaso Ciampa came out and attacked Ricochet, helping Gargano. Then Aleister Black came out to attack Ciampa, and eventually JOHNNY GARGANO CAME OVER AND SAVED TOMMASO CIAMPA.
Ciampa and Gargano pounded on the babyfaces for a bit, then retreated up the ramp, first Ciampa and then Gargano trailing him by a few feet, with their eyes cautiously locked on each other the whole time. When they both reached the top of the ramp things got very intense… and then Candice LeRae ran out, got between them and started pushing Gargano away from Ciampa, telling him “you’re not doing this again!” and “this isn’t you!” The only thing that hurt this was that so many fans were chanting “DIY!” because they apparently want to see a heel reunion of the beloved babyface team. Damn wrestling fans! If the story is being told this well can’t just please go along with it?!

An AWESOME episode of NXT. There wasn’t too much in-ring action this week, but what there was was fantastic for the time it got, and as go-home show, this was absolutely first-rate. I CAN’T WAIT for TakeOver: Phoenix!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/23/2019 NXT (AWESOME!)

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 25th, '19, 08:42

You completely left out that Candice stopped a possible handshake and hug at the last second lol. That changes everything about it.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 25th, '19, 09:37

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 25th, '19, 08:42 You completely left out that Candice stopped a possible handshake and hug at the last second lol. That changes everything about it.
That's what I thought it was, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that she was stopping a fight, either, which could be revealed via Candice turn at TakeOver. I thought there was just enough ambiguity that they could have started fighting each other, too, now that the immediate danger of their TakeOver opponents had passed.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 25th, '19, 14:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 25th, '19, 09:37
KILLdozer wrote: Jan 25th, '19, 08:42 You completely left out that Candice stopped a possible handshake and hug at the last second lol. That changes everything about it.
That's what I thought it was, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that she was stopping a fight, either, which could be revealed via Candice turn at TakeOver. I thought there was just enough ambiguity that they could have started fighting each other, too, now that the immediate danger of their TakeOver opponents had passed.
Could've gone either way I suppose, I wss just waiting for the embrace so I probably just took it as such.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.