BRM Reviews the 1/22/2019 205 Live (awesome)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/22/2019 205 Live (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '19, 23:49

HUMBERTO CARRILLO vs. GRAN METALIK- 8/10
Carrillo is now an official member of the 205 Live roster. He got the win here in an awesome match. Combine that with the fact that last night’s win was apparently a shoot screw-up (because either one of the Singh Brothers didn’t break a pin up in time or the other didn’t kick out in time) and I would like to revise my statement from last night’s show. I don’t think the rumors of his impending WWE exit are all that exaggerated anymore.

DRAKE MAVERICK SAYS SOMETHING THAT MAKES DREW GULAK ANGRY- Gulak screams and leaves. Drake was putting someone over and I guess it was someone Gulak didn’t like.

TONY NESE DEMANDS THAT DRAKE MAVERICK GIVE HIM ANOTHER MATCH AGAINST NOAM DAR- He basically threatens to attack Dar on his own if Maverick won’t book the match. I really don’t see why Drake doesn’t just book it already.

AKIRA TOZAWA PROMO- fine

LUCHA HOUSE PARTY- I was shocked that they let Lincé do so much talking, but he wasn’t bad at all… which just makes me wonder why they don’t let him talk that match. Kalisto, on the other hand, was not very good. Even more troublingly, he seems to think that if he wins the Cruiserweight Title, Lucha House Party will all be the champions and defend the belt as co-champions like Chyna and Chris Jericho as the IC Champion in early 2000. Can we PLEASE not do that stupid sh*t?

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS ARIYA DAIVARI & HIDEO ITAMI- Daivari spoke in English and was great. Itami spoke in Japanese and… well… he sounded intense, but I don’t speak Japanese, so for all I know he could have been telling us about how much he loves parmesan cheese.

AKIRA TOZAWA vs. HIDEO ITAMI vs. KALISTO- 8/10
Buddy Murphy came out to watch the match from ringside and do some commentary. I could have done without him running in, but then again I could have done without this entire match, as it really serves no purpose. Murphy tried to attack everyone but they wound up banding together to take him out, then continuing their match, which felt like a hilarious f*ck you to Smackdown after their horrendous main event finish. For those who are believes in the Law of Reverse Momentum, Itami got the win by pinning Tozawa. I would, however, caution you to remember that this is one of WWE’s competently booked shows and thus the Law of Reverse Momentum should not be applied.

This was an awesome show from 205 Live in the ring, but it really didn’t do anything for storylines and main event felt like something shoehorned in out of some bizarre sense of obligation to do an actual match as the go-home segment for the Cruiserweight Title match at Sunday’s PPV instead letting the promos each man cut be enough (and give Murphy time to cut one as well).
Aiden English made his commentary debut on this show and didn’t stand out one bit. I’d much rather have Percy Watson back. He can just as much of a cliché machine as English was, but Percy sounds more authentic when he says them.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3