BRM Reviews NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool (very good... but I didn't like it?)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool (very good... but I didn't like it?)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '19, 13:00

NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool (1/12/2019)- Blackpool, UK

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- WAY too long and self-indulgent

NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT FINALS: Moustache Mountain vs. James Drake & Zack Gibson- 7.5/10
Don’t’ get me wrong: this was a really great match. But at the same time it often felt like they were going long solely for the sake of going long rather than because the match needed to, and there were definitely times where it felt like they were trying to be too cute. This was the sum of the individual parts of a classic match, but was missing that special something that makes a classic match truly classic. Also, everything about that Airplane Spin spot in the comeback was terrible.

JORDAN DEVLIN ATTACKS TRAVIS BANKS ON HIS WAY INTO THE ARENA- Banks’ knee was injured, but he is apparently still cleared to compete.

TRAVIS BANKS vs. JORDAN DEVLIN- no rating, didn’t like the segment
Banks dove onto Devlin on his way to the ring and they started brawling. The referee did not ring the bell to start the match because both men were never in the ring… but the referee didn’t do much to stop them from fighting either, and no security or referees were sent out until Banks’ knee was thoroughly injured.
Banks had to be helped to the back, so Devlin decided to cut a promo instead. He was interrupted by the authority figures, who said they “had a suspicion” that Devlin would try something after the initial attack, so they came up with a back-up plan, which was…FINN BALOR!
If Devlin had attacked Banks from behind on his way to the ring then maybe this would have worked, but it was actually Banks who started the fight that resulted in him being unable to compete. More importantly, though, I don’t like this because it feels like the main reason this whole thing was done was to get the big surprise pop from the crowd and to try to get some attention from “main roster only” fans. The problem is that I think this made Banks feel very small by comparison… which, of course, he is… but there is no reason to go out of your way to point out to everyone that this babyface we’re trying to push here in NXT UK is nowhere near as big of a deal as Finn Balor, who we almost certainly won’t be seeing on this show on a regular basis.
That was one of the two major reasons I didn’t like this. The other one I’m sure I’ll have a chance to get to in discussing the match itself…

JORDAN DEVLIN vs. FINN BALOR- 7/10
This was a great babyface vs. heel match with a hot crowd, but I don’t anybody ever thought Balor had a snowball’s chance in hell of losing. And, of course, he didn’t lose… so how did this help Jordan Devlin? I think you’d accomplish the same goals I mentioned above (getting the surprise pop for Balor and the attention that comes with it) for having Devlin cheat to beat Banks and try to beat him down after the match, too, but having Balor come out to make the save, then put Banks over as the future. You get the same surprise pop and attention, the feud still gets to continue with the babyface not having gotten a win and the heel having done something despicable, but this time with no loss of heat from the comeuppance of losing, no other sort of damage to the perception of Devlin due to a loss, gives us a match with a less predictable outcome, and something new for Devlin to complain about that boosts his ego (he can be angry that his fellow Irishman put Banks over even though Devlin won the match and thus claim that he is the “true Irishman” and therefore clearly the “Irish Ace” he claims to be) as opposed to have him lose to another Irishman, damaging his claim to being the “Irish Ace.”

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS MATCH: Dave Mastiff vs. Eddie Dennis- 6/10
They did stuff with weapons and bumps. Mastiff beat Dennis again. I’m really not thrilled by them showing us that this skinny Eddie Dennis guy is capable of repeatedly lifting up the biggest dude on the roster. It takes something away from Mastiff.

NXT UK WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Rhea Ripley(c) vs. Toni Storm- 8/10
An excellent “never say die” babyface vs. big mean heel match, with Toni now managing to overcome the woman who beat her in the tournament finals.

WWE UK TITLE MATCH: Pete Dunne(c) vs. Joe Coffey- 8.25/10
This was basically doing everything right that the opener did wrong. This felt like it was going to be an all-time classic with two tough, determined competitors, one likable and the other not, fighting for a prize that felt truly prestigious… and then it just kept going and going and going and going and going and everything started to feel painfully repetitive. I can’t say the match wasn’t awesome (they told their story well, there were some scary bumps and some spots that felt pretty darn epic), but it could have been so much better if they had shaved off ten minutes, and I was well past the point where I was ready for the match to end when it finally did.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
WALTER made his NXT UK debut by confronting the winner. The loser got back into the ring but got booed by WALTER. WALTER and the winner exchanged their signature poses and WALTER left.

This was an odd kind of show. Nothing was bad- in fact, everything was great- and yet for some reason I can’t say that I really liked it. While I could enjoy the matches from a technical standpoint, the only matches on this show where I actually cared about the outcome were the Women’s Title match and Banks vs. Devlin (the latter of which got bait-and-switched away)… and, to a lesser extent, the main event. There is just something about NXT UK that hasn’t been clicking with me. I’ll try to write more about it this week, but for now I will tell you that you should still definitely watch this show, despite me saying that I didn’t like it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool (very good... but I didn't like it?)

Post by XIV » Jan 14th, '19, 15:20

Agreed, the matches went a little long for the UK Tag and UK Chanpionship matches. But that’s a huge step forward for the WWE brand because usually we get short no pay off type matches.

There were some awesome spots in the Tag team match but for me they chose the wrong winners. Everything about this tournament was set up for Moustache Mountain to win and have the UK Tag Team Division built around teams trying to be good enough to beat them, but then they put Gibson and Drake over, it was almost done just because everyone expected Moustache Mountain to win.

But on the flip side, I’m hoping that Moustache Mountain get more NXT time, because let’s face it, they’re one of the best teams WWE has got right now and they need to capitalise while Trent Seven is young enough to get a couple more years out of a Tag Team run before a Tyler Bate turn where he beats his old tutor.

Now, Eddie Dennis, bores me, I am like you, I love Mastiff, so to see some lean guy pick him up, took a little allure away.

The women’s title match was fantastic, and there are some fantastic talent available to compete for it. I think Ripley is ready for main NXT and is like to see Isla Dawn be the next contender.

Now, onto the title match. Another match that was a few minutes too long (without being a gimmick match of sorts). But I had gotten to a point where I didn’t know who was going to win... moreover... I didn’t know who I wanted to win. I love Joe Coffey and I’m glad that Gallus is built around him being the singles star rather than Wolfgang, and I do like Pete Dunne, but WALTER’s appearance makes me realise that he is the right man to end Dunne’s run as the UK Champion.

I was excited by this show, I was shouting at the TV, I was goosebumps in places and I had a smile throughout most of it.

Maybe it’s the fact that being in the UK and this is all building and looking so good that it added that little extra for me that perhaps you were missing BRM, but all in all I loved this show and I’m hoping we get these quarterly.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 14th, '19, 15:28

On the subject of Balor/Devlin.

I do think Devlin losing does nothing for either person, did nothing for Banks either to be honest... and I would have had Balor attacked from behind or after a cheap shot by Devlin somewhere that way Devlin could continue his whole “Irish Ace” angle by gloating that he bested Finn Balor. Which could culminate in an angle down the line if Devlin makes it that far or if not, it still works for him now and it takes no shine from Balor.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 14th, '19, 15:46

XIV wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:20
Now, Eddie Dennis, bores me, I am like you, I love Mastiff, so to see some lean guy pick him up, took a little allure away.
this was like a sort of theme all show, some spots that are great, got repeated over and over and each iteration was less over. Seeing Eddie pick up Mastiff would had been great if it was only one spot, but after two or three, it did lose the allure.

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 14th, '19, 15:56

cero2k wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:46
XIV wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:20
this was like a sort of theme all show, some spots that are great, got repeated over and over and each iteration was less over. Seeing Eddie pick up Mastiff would had been great if it was only one spot, but after two or three, it did lose the allure.
My problem with it is that, for some unknown reason I didn’t feel that Eddie Dennis was overly strong for doing it, it didn’t give me the payoff it was expected to.

I know this show was about showcasing what the UK has to offer, but I don’t really like Eddie Dennis much as a wrestler so his appearance did nothing for me.
Have A Nice Day!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 14th, '19, 17:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT FINALS: Moustache Mountain vs. James Drake & Zack Gibson- 7.5/10
...there were definitely times where it felt like they were trying to be too cute...
That's Moustache Mountain's "thing" though, I think you're being too critical... I didn't think the cute stuff was out of character for them. In this "new era" which is apparently soley defined by no garunteed rematches, I think it sets them up to work toward a rematch... "In hindsight, we obviously did not take them seriously enough... we know we're the better team, and we will win if we get the chance."

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 JORDAN DEVLIN vs. FINN BALOR- 7/10
This was a great babyface vs. heel match with a hot crowd, but I don’t anybody ever thought Balor had a snowball’s chance in hell of losing. And, of course, he didn’t lose… so how did this help Jordan Devlin?
Lemme start by saying I don't watch the weekly shows... a lot of people that went out of their way to watch this show probably don't. That said, it leaves everything wide open for Banks and Devlin to build their heat for another match, and now casual UK fans (such as myself) have seen Devlin go hold for hold with Main Roster level talent, and not a main roster schmuck like Tyler Breeze, this is like that time CM Punk showed up to wrestle Ambrose in NXT... BEYOND THAT... imo... THAT was Prince freaking Devitt wearing a Finn Balor costume. Devlin's getting over in defeat by being in the ring with him... and, again my opinion, Devitt could have come out by surprise, squashed Dunne and thrown the UK Belt in the garbage on his way back to Raw... I didn't think we'd ever see Finn with an 'edge' ever again. Like a battered wife who let's that drunk SOB back in her life time after time... I have hope as a fan.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 There is just something about NXT UK that hasn’t been clicking with me.
For me it's Pete Dunne, honestly. He's one of those guys that everyone seems to love and I can't figure out why, but the more people like him and the more he succeeds the more I resent him for it.
XIV wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:20 But that’s a huge step forward for the WWE brand because usually we get short no pay off type matches.
I liked the show, more so, I like the potential of the show moving forward. I could be critical, I felt like they could have thrown in a few "short no pay off type" matches or even a proper 10 minute opener before the Tagger so things would feel a little less drawn out - not gonna lie, I for real can't stand Pete Dunne and swear to god that match went on for 4 fucking hours - I didn't know who was going to win and I didn't care I just wanted it to be over - but it's their first big show and I think 5 matches was a good way to go to figure things out for next time. I'm looking forward to watching this brand figure out it's flow and grow into bigger arenas.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '19, 17:49

XIV wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:20 Agreed, the matches went a little long for the UK Tag and UK Chanpionship matches. But that’s a huge step forward for the WWE brand because usually we get short no pay off type matches.

There were some awesome spots in the Tag team match but for me they chose the wrong winners. Everything about this tournament was set up for Moustache Mountain to win and have the UK Tag Team Division built around teams trying to be good enough to beat them, but then they put Gibson and Drake over, it was almost done just because everyone expected Moustache Mountain to win.

But on the flip side, I’m hoping that Moustache Mountain get more NXT time, because let’s face it, they’re one of the best teams WWE has got right now and they need to capitalise while Trent Seven is young enough to get a couple more years out of a Tag Team run before a Tyler Bate turn where he beats his old tutor.

The women’s title match was fantastic, and there are some fantastic talent available to compete for it. I think Ripley is ready for main NXT and is like to see Isla Dawn be the next contender.

Now, onto the title match. Another match that was a few minutes too long (without being a gimmick match of sorts). But I had gotten to a point where I didn’t know who was going to win... moreover... I didn’t know who I wanted to win. I love Joe Coffey and I’m glad that Gallus is built around him being the singles star rather than Wolfgang, and I do like Pete Dunne, but WALTER’s appearance makes me realise that he is the right man to end Dunne’s run as the UK Champion.

I was excited by this show, I was shouting at the TV, I was goosebumps in places and I had a smile throughout most of it.

Maybe it’s the fact that being in the UK and this is all building and looking so good that it added that little extra for me that perhaps you were missing BRM, but all in all I loved this show and I’m hoping we get these quarterly.
The one thing that Gibson & Drake winning doe sis that it lets them build up Moustache Mountain for a shot again but this time in a way that will hopefully make me care.

I agree that longer title matches are, on the whole, a good thing, but there is definitely a point where you need to take it home and they often went well past that point tonight.

I'll try to write something more about this, but I think the problem I've been having with NXT UK as a whole is that in 90% of cases, they haven't given me a good reason to want to see the babyface win. For the most part, it feels like I'm supposed to cheer for the babyface simply because he/she is not the heel. That works on a limited scale, but it doesn't really make me want to see someone win the way I did with Toni and Banks.

I don't find Eddie Dennis boring anywhere else I see him, but in NXT UK he just feels so... blah.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '19, 17:52

XIV wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 15:28 On the subject of Balor/Devlin.

I do think Devlin losing does nothing for either person, did nothing for Banks either to be honest... and I would have had Balor attacked from behind or after a cheap shot by Devlin somewhere that way Devlin could continue his whole “Irish Ace” angle by gloating that he bested Finn Balor. Which could culminate in an angle down the line if Devlin makes it that far or if not, it still works for him now and it takes no shine from Balor.
If I thought they were going to build to a feud between Balor and Devlin I'd be all for it, but I don't see them doing that because Balor is a top guy on the main roster.
I don't think Devlin was hurt by the loss that much, but him losing to someone else does take away from the idea of Banks giving him his just desserts because Balor already did that.

The Balor thing felt to me, more than anything else, like a desperate cry for attention rather than something intended to start or further a storyline.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '19, 18:02

Bob-O wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 17:22
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT FINALS: Moustache Mountain vs. James Drake & Zack Gibson- 7.5/10
...there were definitely times where it felt like they were trying to be too cute...
That's Moustache Mountain's "thing" though, I think you're being too critical... I didn't think the cute stuff was out of character for them. In this "new era" which is apparently soley defined by no garunteed rematches, I think it sets them up to work toward a rematch... "In hindsight, we obviously did not take them seriously enough... we know we're the better team, and we will win if we get the chance."
When I saw "too cute" I mean it from a meta/match-construction point of view. Stuff like mirror image spots where the set-up doesn't feel in any way natural. Basically, any situation where it feels like the wrestlers all got into position and did something because they thought it would be cool and artsy rather than something that felt like it happened naturally in the match. (I'm not saying all mirror image spots are like this, but in this case the set-up made me feel like it was).
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 JORDAN DEVLIN vs. FINN BALOR- 7/10
This was a great babyface vs. heel match with a hot crowd, but I don’t anybody ever thought Balor had a snowball’s chance in hell of losing. And, of course, he didn’t lose… so how did this help Jordan Devlin?
Lemme start by saying I don't watch the weekly shows... a lot of people that went out of their way to watch this show probably don't. That said, it leaves everything wide open for Banks and Devlin to build their heat for another match, and now casual UK fans (such as myself) have seen Devlin go hold for hold with Main Roster level talent, and not a main roster schmuck like Tyler Breeze, this is like that time CM Punk showed up to wrestle Ambrose in NXT... BEYOND THAT... imo... THAT was Prince freaking Devitt wearing a Finn Balor costume. Devlin's getting over in defeat by being in the ring with him... and, again my opinion, Devitt could have come out by surprise, squashed Dunne and thrown the UK Belt in the garbage on his way back to Raw... I didn't think we'd ever see Finn with an 'edge' ever again. Like a battered wife who let's that drunk SOB back in her life time after time... I have hope as a fan.
Except that Banks and Devlin just spent three or four weeks building up heat for this match. Travis Banks' spot on this card- the one they did angles to set up specifically to make me want to see Travis Banks wrestle against Jordan Devlin- was taken and given to Finn Balor for no reason other than to get attention. Perhaps it worked... but I don't trust people who went to watch the show because they heard Balor was on it to stick around and watch the rest of the show, never mind to continue watching every week from now on.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 13:00 There is just something about NXT UK that hasn’t been clicking with me.
For me it's Pete Dunne, honestly. He's one of those guys that everyone seems to love and I can't figure out why, but the more people like him and the more he succeeds the more I resent him for it.
This is actually the place I have been able to find him most tolerable as a babyface.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 14th, '19, 19:42

Walter??!?

AWH!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 14th, '19, 21:18

HEY! BOB-O! OVER HERE! WAY OVER HERE!

IS THIS ON HULU?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 14th, '19, 22:48

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 21:18 HEY! BOB-O! OVER HERE! WAY OVER HERE!

IS THIS ON HULU?
I'm not sure, I actually never thought to look. I watched it through shady means.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 15th, '19, 03:21

Bob-O wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 22:48

IS THIS ON HULU?
I'm not sure, I actually never thought to look. I watched it through shady means.
"I'M NOT SURE IF-*steps closer."-

Their regular stuff is on there or not. I haven't ever actually checked. I see it advertised and put over all the on their fb though.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '19, 08:28

KILLdozer wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 03:21
Bob-O wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 22:48

IS THIS ON HULU?
"I'M NOT SURE IF-*steps closer."-

Their regular stuff is on there or not. I haven't ever actually checked. I see it advertised and put over all the on their fb though.
Give in to illegal streams! Don't give your money to the 'man' and no, i don't mean Becky Lynch

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 15th, '19, 08:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 17:49 I don't find Eddie Dennis boring anywhere else I see him, but in NXT UK he just feels so... blah.
Y'all gonna make me cry with this Eddie Dennis hate. This was my first impression of Eddie and I LOVED him. He's like if Tim Curry took up wrestling instead of acting. He reminded me of Wade Barrett with a lot more potential, and I love wrestlers like him and Bate who are freakin strong but you wouldn't get that from looking at them, what I didn't like about Dennis' power spots was Mastiff's facial selling. He looked like he was having a leisurely time. A dude that big being hoisted that high off the ground should've been freaking out.

As another character aside. I LOVED Gibson and Drake. They reminded me a lot of Revival, but the frequency with which they did out of the ring offense gave them a whole different air to how they wrestled.

That said, the first Takeover UK show reminded me of the first Full Sail Takeover in a way. Guys who had potential, but who's time to build characters was sacrificed in lieu of building to a big show. The matches that BRM cared about were the two main events, women's and main roster. The reason why we care about Pete and Rhea and Toni is because they've gotten the most exposure. Same thing happened with the first Takeover, with Zayn and Cesaro (and to a far lesser extent, Neville and Bo). But, over time, feuds were given time to simmer and grow between Takeover shows, so people really got to get there characters over. I suspect the same will happen in time with NXT UK.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 15th, '19, 08:43

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:30 and I love wrestlers like him and Bate who are freakin strong but you wouldn't get that from looking at them,
But... he's a B I G S T R O N G B O I ...
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '19, 08:53

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:30
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 14th, '19, 17:49 I don't find Eddie Dennis boring anywhere else I see him, but in NXT UK he just feels so... blah.
Y'all gonna make me cry with this Eddie Dennis hate. This was my first impression of Eddie and I LOVED him. He's like if Tim Curry took up wrestling instead of acting. He reminded me of Wade Barrett with a lot more potential, and I love wrestlers like him and Bate who are freakin strong but you wouldn't get that from looking at them, what I didn't like about Dennis' power spots was Mastiff's facial selling. He looked like he was having a leisurely time. A dude that big being hoisted that high off the ground should've been freaking out.

As another character aside. I LOVED Gibson and Drake. They reminded me a lot of Revival, but the frequency with which they did out of the ring offense gave them a whole different air to how they wrestled.
I like these guys elsewhere, but in NXT UK they feel like mere shadows of their PROGRESS selves. I'd find Dennis more interesting if he were feuding with Dunne or Andrews- AKA the two guys he said he was bitter at due to their careers succeeding early on and his not.
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:30 That said, the first Takeover UK show reminded me of the first Full Sail Takeover in a way. Guys who had potential, but who's time to build characters was sacrificed in lieu of building to a big show. The matches that BRM cared about were the two main events, women's and main roster. The reason why we care about Pete and Rhea and Toni is because they've gotten the most exposure. Same thing happened with the first Takeover, with Zayn and Cesaro (and to a far lesser extent, Neville and Bo). But, over time, feuds were given time to simmer and grow between Takeover shows, so people really got to get there characters over. I suspect the same will happen in time with NXT UK.
I don't think it's about exposure, though. I was actually far more interested in Banks vs. Devlin than in the main event. I think it has a lot more to do with them failing to establish character. I cared a lot more about the match between Joseph Connors and El Ligero on TV a few episodes back that had one promo from each guy to build it up than most of the these matches which have gotten weeks of build. I think they have tried to establish way too many characters who are way too similar instead of focusing on a smaller group and adding new people in gradually the way Lucha Underground did. Time spent on Mike Hitchman and Dan Moloney and each mid/undercard wrestler getting the same video repeated eighty-three times should have been spent on establishing some real character for the principal stars... and a lot of them really need it. Moustache Mountain have no character other than "guys I'm supposed to cheer" and Gibson & Drake have no real character other than "guys I'm supposed to boo." They're not character; they're caricatures.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '19, 10:15

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:30
I think you got it right there on the first impression, at least for me, i've seen him as both a tag team guy and singles guy, so i've seen him do stuff like that. To Me Eddie's greatest strength is his heel character because I find his wrestling generic.

I guess i'm also seeing it from Mastiff's side, the only thing he has going is his size and weight, and so on his first 'big' wwe match we see him get thrown around like almost nothing, so now Mastiff's big thing is kinda lost. Cena would only do one FU to Henry or Big Show, not 5.

But if you liked him, i recommend you check out his promos against Mark Andrews from 2017-18.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 15th, '19, 11:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:53
I like these guys elsewhere, but in NXT UK they feel like mere shadows of their PROGRESS selves. I'd find Dennis more interesting if he were feuding with Dunne or Andrews- AKA the two guys he said he was bitter at due to their careers succeeding early on and his not.
I intentionally avoid modern indies so that I can avoid making distinctions like these, so that I can judge wrestlers from a clean slate as opposed to comparing what they do their indy work, where they obviously are operating on a less rigid set of rules.
I think they have tried to establish way too many characters who are way too similar instead of focusing on a smaller group and adding new people in gradually the way Lucha Underground did. Time spent on Mike Hitchman and Dan Moloney and each mid/undercard wrestler getting the same video repeated eighty-three times should have been spent on establishing some real character for the principal stars... and a lot of them really need it. Moustache Mountain have no character other than "guys I'm supposed to cheer" and Gibson & Drake have no real character other than "guys I'm supposed to boo." They're not character; they're caricatures.
Do you think a disadvantage NXT UK has going for it is that they're effectively producing two hours of TV a week? Because a lot of these undercard angles and video packages seem like they're products of that. And I think NXT UK will iron itself out eventually it's just inevitably taking longer because of a larger principle cast.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '19, 12:02

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 11:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 15th, '19, 08:53
I intentionally avoid modern indies so that I can avoid making distinctions like these, so that I can judge wrestlers from a clean slate as opposed to comparing what they do their indy work, where they obviously are operating on a less rigid set of rules.
wait, so you actually prefer the watered-down restricted version of wrestlers?