BRM Reviews the 12/5/2018 NXT (great!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 12/5/2018 NXT (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 6th, '18, 22:37

MATT RIDDLE vs. PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ- 5.5/10
This reminded me of a match Donovan Dijak had with Ricochet on the 5/30 episode where Ricochet was only a few months in and Dijak was making his debut. The match was short, and they did a whole bunch of stuff to let the new big athletic guy get himself over while still having a relatively even match and giving the pushed guy the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Ohno comes up behind Riddle on the ramp and knocks him out with an elbow when he turns around.

RICOCHET VIDEO PACKAGE- seems kind of pointless.

RICOCHET PRESS CONFERENCE FROM EARLIER TODAY- He’s wearing the kind of ugly suit jacket that people were making so much fun of Al Snow for wearing when he was a Gut Check judge on Impact. Ricochet looked even worse in it than Snow did. He said he was about to go see Regal to find out who his next challenger will be. Nigel then told us that Ricochet’s next title defense will take place next week.

HEAVY MACHINERY VIDEO PACKAGE- very good.
This definitely felt like one of NXT’s “okay, we’re about to really try to elevate these guys” video packages. They even said that they wouldn’t leave NXT until they win the tag titles.

Regal announced via Tweet that there will be a women’s #1 contendership Fatal Four-Way in three weeks. Bianca Belair qualified over the weekend with a win at a house show. Why does Bianca have to go through a #1 contendership match at this point? She’s UN-DE-FEA-TED!

RAUL MENDOZA & HUMBERTO CARILLO vs. THE FORGOTTEN SONS (w/Jaxon Ryker)- 5/10
They focused on a girl in the crowd- probably about ten years old- with a pro-Forgotten Sons sign. She’s either got to be a plant or one of their kids, right?
This was another good but relatively short match. The Forgotten Sons picked up the win and definitely looked better than their previous appearances, but once again it Mendoza & Carillo who have me really excited. The NXT Tag Team Division is getting pretty full of hosses, and I can’t wait to see Mendoza & Carillo have long, high-profile match with all of them.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS THE VELVETEEN DREAM- He didn’t answer or question, or really say anything of value.

UNDISPUTED ERA PROMO- GREAT!
Most of this was Bobby Fish cutting an excellent promo on EC III, but Roderick Strong and Kyle O’Reilly also spent some time bragging about injuring the War Raiders and insulting the other teams in the division. This included Roderick Strong saying the following: “The Mighty? More like ‘The Weak-y.’” I was ROLLING WITH LAUGHTER!

We were told that during War Games, Hanson suffered “broken ribs” and a “fractured spleen” among other injuries.

DAKOTA KAI vs. SHAYNA BASZLER (w/Marina Shafir & Jessamyn Duke)- 7/10
Didn’t we get a big promo last week with Dakota Kai, Io Shirai, and Kairi Sane all vowing to fight the Horsewomen together? So why didn’t Io and Kairi come out with Dakota. It’s not like they didn’t know Duke & Shafir were going to come out with Baszler.
THIS was the match they should have had to blow off their feud months ago. Dakota looked a professional and not someone who would have trouble controlling her bowels of you looked at her meanly. She took everything Shayna threw at her and did her best to give back just as well as she got.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great
The heels begin to bully Dakota after the match but Kairi Sane and Io Shirai came out to make the save. Io wound up nailing Baszler with a palm strike to knock her down in the corner and Dakota was setting up to nail her with a Yakuza Kick but Shayna’s fellow Horsewomen pulled her to safety at the last moment.

DIJAKOVIC IS COMING- and his terrible “feast your eyes” catchphrase is coming with him.

Next week’s show will have EC III vs. Bobby Fish. Mauro described Fish as the “Chairman of the UE Board” because he hit EC III with a chair. A WCW La Parka reference in 2018.

CLOSING SEGMENT- great!
Tommaso Ciampa came out and cut a promo saying he is the greatest NXT Champion of all time. Aleister Black came out and cut a promo saying that he is going to invoke his rematch clause at TakeOver: Phoenix. Johnny Gargano came out and told Black that their feud “is over when I say it’s over.” They faced off while Ciampa stood on the apron, amused. Ciampa tried to stir up trouble (not that his help was really needed) and suggests that the two of them should have a cage match of some sort. Ciampa’s self-serving bullsh*t was excellent. So excellent, in fact, that the other two bought into it. I was worried this was making our babyface look stupid, but then after Black through Black Mass at Gargano and Gargano ducked it and rolled out of the ring, Black then nailed Ciampa with one, knocking Ciampa out. As we went off the air, Mauro Ranallo pointed out to us that Gargano will not be able to run away like this when Black goes for Black Mass if they face off in a cage.

A great episode of NXT! The built to TakeOver: Phoenix begins!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 12/5/2018 NXT (great!)

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 7th, '18, 02:53

Strangely, the Fb has Ciampa V Black as the listed match...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 7th, '18, 08:42

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 02:53 Strangely, the Fb has Ciampa V Black as the listed match...
Nowhere did they say that this cage match would take place at TakeOver.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 7th, '18, 08:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 08:42
KILLdozer wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 02:53 Strangely, the Fb has Ciampa V Black as the listed match...
Nowhere did they say that this cage match would take place at TakeOver.
Well they seemed to be both be accepting of it like it was gonna happen lol.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 7th, '18, 08:55

Either way...it WILL become a triple threat title match so it doesn't matter.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 7th, '18, 10:00

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 08:55 Either way...it WILL become a triple threat title match so it doesn't matter.
I don't think so. I think we're getting Black vs. Ciampa at this TakeOver and Gargano taking the belt from the winner over Mania weekend.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 7th, '18, 10:04

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 10:00
KILLdozer wrote: Dec 7th, '18, 08:55 Either way...it WILL become a triple threat title match so it doesn't matter.
I don't think so. I think we're getting Black vs. Ciampa at this TakeOver and Gargano taking the belt from the winner over Mania weekend.
I don't think the whole triangle between them is over...if anything it only appears be hotter than ever suddenly.