BRM Reviews the (first) 12/5/2018 NXT UK (awesome!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the (first) 12/5/2018 NXT UK (awesome!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 5th, '18, 21:22

They’ve already got their “in memory of” graphic for the Dynamite Kid. Impressive. They’ve also got a ticker running on the bottom letting us know that he died and that they’re extending their condolences. That was a little much.

OPENING SEGMENT- good
The announcers made it suspiciously clear to us that WWE UK Champion Pete Dunne is not here tonight because he is off fulfilling his champion-ly things elsewhere.
The Wolfgang & the Coffey Brothers declared NXT UK to be their “kingdom,” to which the fans responded by chanting “NOT YOUR KINGDOM!” That made me laugh. Their promos was pretty good, except that they seemed to come up with a stable name that I unfortunately couldn’t understand due to their thick Scottish accents.
Travis Banks came out so they cut a promo on him. Joe Coffey called Banks out to fight him. Banks did, and took him out with a great Thesz Press, but the others jumped in and beat Banks up until Moustache Mountain came out to make the save and send the heels backing.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS FABIAN AICHNER- Aichner cut a fine babyface promo to build up to his match with Mark Andrews later tonight.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS JORDAN DEVLIN- Devlin cut a good promo starting to rebuild himself from his loss to Pete Dunne two shows ago. He then cut a great promo on “Flash” Morgan Webster to build up to tonight’s main event.

MARK ANDREWS vs. FABIAN AICHNER- 8/10
AWESOME! If you want to know why Gabe felt he could trust Aichner as the EVOLVE Champion, watch this match!

ISLA DAWN VIDEO- it was cool, but I still don’t understand this whole witch thing. Based on this, it seems like I’m supposed to think that she’s an actual witch. An actual Scottish witch. Like from Macbeth. Is she one or not? How am I supposed to be able to tell if that’s what she is? The best way to tell if she’s a real witch or not is to see if she weighs the same as a duck, but it’s horribly impolite to go asking a lady her weight, so how the hell am I supposed to figure out how to react to this character!

RHEA RIPLEY INTERRUPTS AN INTERVIEW WITH JOHNNY SAINT & SID SCALA- decent
Scala is Johnny Saint’s new assistant GM. Rhea showed up to complain that she wasn’t getting any attention paid to her even though she is the new champion. While her bully Scala was obviously not cool, it is kind of wrong that she won the title and hasn’t been given an interview or something yet.

ISLA DAWN vs. NINA SAMUELS- 4/10
Okay… Isla: I’m willing to go with this “witch” thing for a while, but you’re going to have to either not be so pale or change your hair color, because you look way too much like Jessica Hamby from True Blood, who is a vampire and not a witch.

Nigel tells us that Rhea Ripley told him that anyone who thinks they can take the title from her is “delirious.” To which I’m sure Delirious responded “bah bah bah!”

TONI STORM VIDEO PACKAGE ABOUT HER LOSS TO RHEA RIPLEY IN THE NXT UK WOMEN’S TITLE TOURNAMENT FINALS- This was a great video package, but it does kind of reinforce Rhea’s point that she- the winner and historic first-ever NXT UK Women’s Champion- is being wrongfully ignored here.

EDDIE DENNIS vs. TUCKER- squash

Banks vs. Wolfgang is booked for “next week.”

JORDAN DEVLIN vs. “FLASH” MORGAN WEBSTER- 8/10
Another awesome match. Webster got his back worked over and then lost. Seeing Webster lose makes be very happy because he looks like such a tool.

An awesome episode of NXT UK, with two awesome matches, some good video packages and interviews, and some storyline advancement. If the shows are more like this from now on, NXT UK will quickly become a show I actually look forward to watching rather than one I feel like I’ll need to slog through every week to get to 205 Live and NXT USA.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3