BRM Reviews the 11/14/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/14/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '18, 22:35

BIANCA BELAIR vs. MIA YIM- 6.75/10
A great opener, with Bianca picked up the clean win and remaining undefeated.

CATHY KELLEY ASKS THE WAR GAMES BABYFACES WHO WILL REPRESENT THEM IN THE MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN WAR GAMES- Dunne and Ricochet argue until Hanson loudly shouts “ENOUGH!” and declares that he will be the one to do it, and War Machine walked away.

BLACK VS. GARGANO VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS MATT RIDDLE- Riddle mispronounced the word “debut” (he pronounced it “de-butt”). Thankfully, Kassisus Ohno showed up to interrupt before he could mispronounce anything else. Ohno yelled at him for not actually going to Regal to get a match booked after their confrontation last week. Dude… expecting a stoner to get off his butt and do something is not a good strategy to get what you want. Riddle was cringeworthily bad here, both in verbiage and delivery.

KAIRSSA RIVERA vs. LACEY EVANS- good squash

LACEY EVANS PROMO- very good

THE VELVETEEN DREAM VS. TOMMASO CIAMPA VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

KAIRI SANE VIDEO PACKAGE- An excellent go-home video package for the Women’s Title match at TakeOver.

WINNER’S TEAM GETS THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN WAR GAMES: Kyle O’Reilly vs. Hanson- 7.75/10
Exactly what you’d expect it to be. Kyle and Hanson had a GREAT match, someone came out to interfere, others eventually came out to stop him, cue a series of run-ins, and the heels wind up winning in the end via cheating.

A great episode of NXT, and an extremely effective go-home show for TakeOver: War Games II.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 11/14/2018 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 14th, '18, 22:50

What about Cross V Lerae they were talking about last week?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '18, 22:57

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 14th, '18, 22:50 What about Cross V Lerae they were talking about last week?
Candice said she was going to ask Regal for a match, so I guess he hasn't booked it yet. It feels like the type of match they'd tape before TakeOver and air on next week's show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 15th, '18, 16:40

Why use Mia Yim for this "undefeated Bianca Belair moment" , in only like...her second match?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 15th, '18, 16:58

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 16:40 Why use Mia Yim for this "undefeated Bianca Belair moment" , in only like...her second match?
1. She has name value,s o beating her means more than beating of the undercard dorks Bianca has previously defeated.
2. She's a veteran who can have a good match with young Bianca and teach her things.
3. Giving Mia this early loss means that Mia is no longer undefeated in NXT making Bianca's feat more impressive because you won't have a second woman running around also still pushed and undefeated in two months.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 15th, '18, 17:00

Of course, but I guess I'd rather see her doing better things.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 15th, '18, 17:01

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:00 Of course, but I guess I'd rather see her doing better things.
It's one loss, and she's only wrestled twice. Don't about her. This isn't a situation like Almas on the main roster being a JTTS.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 15th, '18, 17:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:01
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:00 Of course, but I guess I'd rather see her doing better things.
It's one loss, and she's only wrestled twice. Don't about her. This isn't a situation like Almas on the main roster being a JTTS.
I was thinking about that whole bigger situation during the opening match. "All about getting prepared and taught for the main roster and able to to perfect things for the larger scale."...

For what though? Just end up a punkass son of a birch or irrelevant? Or both? What point does all of that serve and accomplish? To actually learn it and then go nowhere with it after the fact?

Even Nakamura as champion is an afterthought.

Carmella is probably one of the only ones that didn't get shoved aside and turned into a fool, and that's from a long time ago at that.

It seems almost, and we might have discussed it before, but NXT is it's own thing with bigger openings for people, while the main roster has all of it's own things going and these callups just have no place in them and they won't change that, obviously.

Ok-back to the above...Riott Squad have been kept around in the spotlight ...only to accomplish nothing.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 16th, '18, 11:32

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:22
I was thinking about that whole bigger situation during the opening match. "All about getting prepared and taught for the main roster and able to to perfect things for the larger scale."...

For what though? Just end up a punkass son of a birch or irrelevant? Or both? What point does all of that serve and accomplish? To actually learn it and then go nowhere with it after the fact?

Carmella is probably one of the only ones that didn't get shoved aside and turned into a fool, and that's from a long time ago at that.

It seems almost, and we might have discussed it before, but NXT is it's own thing with bigger openings for people, while the main roster has all of it's own things going and these callups just have no place in them and they won't change that, obviously.

Ok-back to the above...Riott Squad have been kept around in the spotlight ...only to accomplish nothing.
I think it's all just clear evidence that Vince really has no idea what to do with these guys when he sees them. You'd have thought he'd at least be into the AoP or SAnitY because of their size, but they're tag teams and he doesn't care about those. It is very telling that off all of the call-ups since Mania 2017, only McIntyre- a former "chosen one" of Vince's- has been on a consistently upwards path ever since, and that even Asuka and Nakamura, who were well-pushed until this spring, are already just midcard jamokes, and even while Nakamura has a title.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 16th, '18, 11:40

What about that old Triple H thing...-"No nxt stuff on the main roster without full drawn out clear cut plans in place first before calling up..."

?

Hmmmm....

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 16th, '18, 11:48

Yeah, McIntyre has the advantage of being there before, he was a part of WWE before NXT...so that's really not at all surprising. I wanna say he did NXT to begin with it because he chose to actually.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 16th, '18, 11:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 16th, '18, 11:32
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:22

I think it's all just clear evidence that Vince really has no idea what to do with these guys when he sees them. You'd have thought he'd at least be into the AoP or SAnitY because of their size, but they're tag teams and he doesn't care about those. It is very telling that off all of the call-ups since Mania 2017, only McIntyre- a former "chosen one" of Vince's- has been on a consistently upwards path ever since, and that even Asuka and Nakamura, who were well-pushed until this spring, are already just midcard jamokes, and even while Nakamura has a title.
Yeah, something I've thought about before is that, if this wasn't Survivor Series, Nakamura probably wouldn't even be on the show.

Where would they have found the time to get him into anything, given how he's been used as of late?

Now-a former NXT stable...kind of work shoot about all of this stuff...now that would be an idea. I'd even say put Nakamura at the forefront for the men's division because of the above points.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 17th, '18, 15:42

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 16th, '18, 11:40 What about that old Triple H thing...-"No nxt stuff on the main roster without full drawn out clear cut plans in place first before calling up..."

?

Hmmmm....
Probably Vince getting in the way... assuming that "no one gets called up without a plan in place" was ever a real thing in the first place. I believe that comment was made in mid 2014. Since then:

Sasha/Becky/Charlotte- the entire plan was "THE DIVAS REVOLUTION!"
Adam Rose- no plan
American Alpha- no plan. If there was, they wouldn't have floundered for so long (I guess maybe it's possible that Vince liked the Slater crap so he decided to push Slater/Rhyno over American Alpha)
Bayley- MAYBE there was a plan
Crews- no plan
Dillinger- if there was a plan, it was for him to be a jobber
Enzo & Cass- MAYBE there was a plan
Carmella- probably was a plan
Bliss- MAYBE there was a plan
Corbin- MAYBE there was a plan
Nakamura- plan
Asuka- plan
Nia- MAYBE there was a plan
Strowman- the plan was "hang out with Bray"
Almas- no real plan
Vaudevillains- no real plan
McIntyre- plan
Ember Moon- no real plan
No Way Jose- no real plan
Mojo- MAYBE there was some kind of plan
Ascension- there was a plan, but it was idiotic
Breeze- no real plan
Dana- the plan was "be Charlotte's lackey"
IIconics- MAYBE there was a plan
Balor- there probably was a plan, but he got injured right away
Owens- clear plan
Zayn- the plan was the same thing he'd been doing in NXT
Riott Squad- no real plan other than to run around attacking people
Mandy & Sonya- same as above
Drifter- no real plan

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but just the mere fact that I'm forgetting them shows how poorly those guys and gals have been used.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 17th, '18, 15:51

Even worse to add to your point...how MANY of them should have been used so much better?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 18th, '18, 07:33

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:51 Even worse to add to your point...how MANY of them should have been used so much better?
"Plans" and "Potential" are two different things though, and I think a lot of times we get wrapped up in potential and don't see the plan. Sure there's times there was no plan, made obvious when guys are called up and left off TV for months, but sometimes I think the plan really is just to put fresh faces in The Job Squad.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Adam Rose- no plan
Drifter- no real plan
The plan for all of these guys was clearly to be sideshow filler. "Entertainment". How do you make a plan for No Way Jose? It's silly to think there could have been one beyond "You're gonna go make the kids laugh! Go be a wacky ass and entertain the people!"
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Crews- no plan
Almas- no real plan

Plan = "go be diverse"
Crews' plan was to be black, but I think Vince thought he was getting bargain Lashley. Apallo isn't as big as Vince hoped so he went out and bought himself a more authentic Lashley.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Enzo & Cass- MAYBE there was a plan
Their plan was obvious to me here, in "go be the new New Age Outlaws". Their plan was nothing more than catchphrases, lots of money and brand appeal to that.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Balor- there probably was a plan, but he got injured right away
Agreed on that, I think they had big plans for him. I think, and this is my own empty theory, AJ assumed his plan, as he was a better fit for the spot. AJ himself has said many times he didn't expect to be where he's at in WWE... he expected to be in a position that (by his description) sounds eerily like Balor's spot on the card.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 18th, '18, 12:19

Bob-O wrote: Nov 18th, '18, 07:33
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:51 Even worse to add to your point...how MANY of them should have been used so much better?
"Plans" and "Potential" are two different things though, and I think a lot of times we get wrapped up in potential and don't see the plan. Sure there's times there was no plan, made obvious when guys are called up and left off TV for months, but sometimes I think the plan really is just to put fresh faces in The Job Squad.
If that's the case then bring them up at all as opposed to just using local jobbers?
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Adam Rose- no plan
Drifter- no real plan
The plan for all of these guys was clearly to be sideshow filler. "Entertainment". How do you make a plan for No Way Jose? It's silly to think there could have been one beyond "You're gonna go make the kids laugh! Go be a wacky ass and entertain the people!"
So you have an "entertainment" feud. Adam Rose doesn't like the Conga so he cuts promos on Jose and they feud over that. There are ways to use your "entertainment" characters that are much better than just having them be jobbers on TV.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Crews- no plan
Almas- no real plan

Plan = "go be diverse"
Crews' plan was to be black, but I think Vince thought he was getting bargain Lashley. Apallo isn't as big as Vince hoped so he went out and bought himself a more authentic Lashley.

It's hard to be seen as increasing WWE"s diversity when you're not even on TV.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Enzo & Cass- MAYBE there was a plan
Their plan was obvious to me here, in "go be the new New Age Outlaws". Their plan was nothing more than catchphrases, lots of money and brand appeal to that.
Fine. I'll accept this, but you'd think there would be a grander plan with a team you plan to push so heavily via TV time (and especially if you're Vince and don't care about the tag team titles, then the first thing I would do when I have a tag team with what appears to be star potential in my eyes is plan their rise to the top of the division).
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 15:42 Balor- there probably was a plan, but he got injured right away
Agreed on that, I think they had big plans for him. I think, and this is my own empty theory, AJ assumed his plan, as he was a better fit for the spot. AJ himself has said many times he didn't expect to be where he's at in WWE... he expected to be in a position that (by his description) sounds eerily like Balor's spot on the card.
The flaw in this theory to me is that AJ's position before the draft and going to SD clearly indicate that he was intended to be a big player. Also, they still seemed to have Balor in mind as a Brock opponent as late as last fall (remember Heyman kept bringing him up in all of those promos, and the original idea for the Rumble certainly seemed to be Balor vs. Braun and Kane vs. Braun rather than Brock vs. Braun vs. Kane), by which point it was well clear that they saw AJ as a top guy already, so while they might have had major things planned for Balor, I don't buy the idea that AJ's current spot was intended for Balor and Balor's for AJ.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation