BRM Reviews the 11/6/2018 NXT UK (DUNNE VS. BURCH!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/6/2018 NXT UK (DUNNE VS. BURCH!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 7th, '18, 18:32

DAVE MASTIFF vs. DAMIEN WEIR- squash
The announcers said this was “another victory” for Mastiff, but I don’t remember seeing him on this show before. And this is only episode five, so that’s not a good sign. It means there are way too many squashes on these shows.

EL LIGERO VIDEO PACKAGE- boring, but at least it was short. He told us that the thing that makes him unique was “right here” and pointed to his mask… and then didn’t explain what he meant. You wear a mask. Good for you. So f*cking what? If you’re trying to say that you’re a Luchador and others aren’t, then why don’t you tell me about that and what drew you to Lucha Libre and why you think that will help you win, etc.?

JAMES DRAKE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

JINNY VIDEO- fine

JAMES DRAKE vs. EL LIGERO- 6.75/10
El Ligero wins clean.

TONI STORM INTERVIEW- Fine
I didn’t recognize Toni without her eye black and baseball cap. She builds up her match with Dakota Kai next week and the possibility of an NXT UK Women’s Championship. Dakota then showed up and managed to not be insufferable for once. She and Toni put each other over and showed each other respect.

ASHTON SMITH VIDEO PACKAGE- whatever
These short video package don’t do anything for me.

ZACK GIBSON SELFIE PROMO- A great promo, but if they do this again, they really shouldn’t put it up on the screen because the fans trying to drown him out with boos is annoying if you’re trying to hear what he has to say. He’s wrestling Amir Jordan next week.

ASHTON SMITH VS. ?- never happens because Wolfgang & the Coffey Brothers attack him on his way to the ring.

WOLFGANG & COFFEY BROTHERS PROMO- very good
Wolfgang gave a long speech in which he basically said they are the best group in NXT UK and they’re going to be at the top. It was better than I’m making it sound, and it got some pretty good heat, too.

EDDIE DENNIS vs. SID SCALA- 4/10
A good squash plus hope spots, which I thought worked perfectly here because Dennis is exactly the type of guy you can see them having lose by roll-up in his debut and going nuts n the guy afterwards.

Johnny Saint Tweeted that next week’s show will have Wolfgang & The Coffey Brothers vs. Mark Andrews, Ashton Smith, & “Flash” Morgan Webster.

WWE UK TITLE MATCH: Pete Dunne(c) vs. Danny Burch- 9.25/10
F*CKING FANTASTIC. A wonderful “mean guy” match, fought just on the “clean” side of the clean-dirty divide, with an extremely hot crowd. Great storytelling, great emotion, and Dunne was finally given an opponent who felt like he actually had a chance of dethroning him.
While he hasn’t done anything on the level of the top contenders (Ospreay, Okada, Omega, WALTER, and probably one or two others that aren’t springing to mind right now), Dunne is putting together quite the sleeper candidacy for Wrestler of the Year.

An excellent episode of NXT UK, but almost entirely on the strength of the main event. According to the WWE Network, “next week” means “tomorrow,” so now I have to go watch another one of these.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3