BRM Reviews the 10/31/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/31/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 1st, '18, 08:08

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- Only while watching this did it occur to me that the conclusion of the episode two weeks ago probably spurred a scary amount of people to start shipping Nikki Cross and Aleister Black.

The announcers told us that no one has seen or heard from Johnny Gargano all week.

NIKKI CROSS vs. MERCEDES MARTINEZ- 6.5/10
Cross’ finisher is apparently called “The Purge.” Martinez got to look very strong in defeat, even though the match wasn’t particularly long.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- LOVED IT!
Candice LeRae came out and confronted Nikki. She didn’t have a mic, so you had to listen closely to hear, but that did a great job of making this feel a lot less like it was “done for TV.” Candice was saying things like “why didn’t you just tell somebody?” and “why did you do this?” She was very annoyed by Nikki’s attitude, saying things like “are you smiling right now?” “This isn’t funny,” “these are our lives,” and “you’re messing with people’s lives! And the whole time Nikki just kept on laughing and smiling and rolling around, as she made her way to the back while Candice yelled at her.
Candice’s frustration here was so tangible it was fantastic. It’s clear that her husband attacking Aleister from behind the way he did and not telling her about it has disturbed her, but you could also completely understand why she would be annoyed that Nikki- who has no issue with Johnny (or her, for that matter), and no love for or allegiance to Aleister- decided to bring this down on them. Whether consciously or not, I think Candice is using Nikki as an outlet for some of her anger/frustration with Johnny. But at the same time, while I was watching Candice yell “these are our lives!” at Nikk and Nikki respond by just rolling around and laughing… and then, when Candice is yelling “These are our lives! It’s not a game. It’s not funny!” at her, and Nikki has the gall to respond to this by laughing even harder… well, it really makes Nikki look like a massive asshole.
One other detail here that might be of note was Candice’s appearance. She was dressed in all black, including black lipstick, and she had let her hair grow to the point where the top of her head was mostly it’s more natural blonde color, while the back was still the more metallic blonde dye she has been using for the past five or six years. I actually didn’t even recognize her when she came out. Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but a real effort seemed to have been put into making sure she looked different than the Candice LeRae most fans have known. And a different look is often an indicator of a character change… and all black from someone who is usually bright and bubbly just screams “heel turn coming!” to me (or at least some sort of flirtation with the Dark Side of The Force).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT: PART 2- So Nikki walked to go backstage… but bumped into Aleister Black. Nikki backed off to the other end of the stage… and Aleister walked down to the ring. Candice walked right up ato him and stared him down. He wanted to know where Johnny was. Candice said he wasn’t here. Aleister kept demanding to know where Johnny was and I think Candice said she hadn’t seen him. Aleister then said that Johnny’s “future is gone” and then walked off This part I had to piece together from my own attempts at lip-reading, listening extremely carefully several times, and stuff Nigel said. This was fine from a story point of view, but unlike the other part, I couldn’t hear anything here anywhere close to clearly, and I had to watch and listen to this at least five times to get what I got out of it. That was quite frustrating.

THE MIGHTY vs. THE STREET PROFITS- 6.75/10
Oh yeah. This feud is a thing that was happening, wasn’t it?
They had a fun tag team match. Your new Evolve Tag Team Champions the Street Profits won the match, so Gabe Sapolsky did not have an aneurysm.

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS WILLIAM REGAL- good
Regal was quickly interrupted by Aleister Black who demanded to know where Gargano was. Regal said that- like Candice already told Aliester (apparently)- Regal ordered Johnny to stay at home this week. Regal told Aleister he would get his chance for revenge on Johnny at TakeOver: War Games II. Aleister vowed that Johnny’s future in NXT would “Fade to Black.”

LARS SULLIVAN IS SMASHING THINGS BACKSTAGE- He’s furious because The Velveteen Dream was given the title shot at TakeOver instead of him. He said he would smash TVD so Regal would have to give him the title shot instead.

MATT RIDDLE vs. LUKE MENZIES- 3/10
I don’t like Riddle’s new music at all. This was a lot less of a squash than I assumed it would be. They let Menzies get in quite a bit of stuff before Riddle bad his big comeback and won with the Bro-mission.

EVOLUTION WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH RECAP/HORSEWOMEN INTERVIREW FROM AFTER EVOLUTION- Good
Marina and Jessamyn are wearing Baszler’s t-shirt. Kairi showed up wanting to one but she was so hurt and hacking up a lung to the point where just one small dude was able to hold her back with ease.

They are advertising that Lacey Evans will be “in action next week!” as if this is a big deal, so they seem to be ready to push her really hard.

DANNY BURCH & ONEY LORCAN vs. RAUL MEDNOZA & HUMBERTO CARRILLO- 5/10
This match was short but INSANE for the time it got. Carrillo in particular came off great. This dude is CRAZY athletic.

THE BIG BRAWL- GREAT!
Undisputed Era were cutting a promo when War Raiders attacked them from behind. While attacking from behind is a heelish tactic, this was mitigated somewhat by the fact that they were running into a situation where they were down four to two. This turned into a big crazy brawl in this outside cafeteria area, with Ricochet getting involved as well. Things spilled into the ringside area and the heels finally started to take over due to their numbers advantage, but then Pete Dunne showed up with a chair to make things more than even. The babyfaces won the brawl and the heels began to scurry away up the ramp. Regal then came out and angrily declared that Brawling like this is not okay, and the only way to settle this is with WAR GAMES. This announcement would have been a lot more exciting and surprising if the name of the next TakeOver hadn’t been “War Games.”

This was a very busy, but a very fun episode of NXT. I’m quite interested to see what direction Candice LeRae winds up going in, as well as what the ultimate result of Lars Sullivan’s anger will be. Are we getting a three-way? Will Lars attack TVD and wind up suspended? Will an attack lead to TVD being willing to put his title shot on the line in exchange for revenge and then losing it? We’ll have to find out. The build to the War Games match itself has been quite great, the Horsewomen are a new wrinkle in things as well, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say their newfound desire to push Lacey Evans doesn’t make quite curious as to what part of her formula they think has changed enough to make the character worth trying to push harder.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/31/2018 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 1st, '18, 13:56

Why on earth would anyone think that this SHITASS Angelo Dawkins should be getting any kind of push whatsoever? Let alone evolve champs and winning here as well?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 1st, '18, 19:32

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 13:56 Why on earth would anyone think that this SHITASS Angelo Dawkins should be getting any kind of push whatsoever? Let alone evolve champs and winning here as well?
He's very good in the ring. Has been for a while. He just needed someone (i.e. Montez Ford) to help bring some personality out.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 1st, '18, 19:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 19:32
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 13:56 Why on earth would anyone think that this SHITASS Angelo Dawkins should be getting any kind of push whatsoever? Let alone evolve champs and winning here as well?
He's very good in the ring. Has been for a while. He just needed someone (i.e. Montez Ford) to help bring some personality out.
Since when do YOU have something good to say about that guy?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 1st, '18, 19:54

At times btw...This Matt Riddle looks like Pete Dunne's American brother. Get gloves, elbow and knee pads and boots btw.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 5th, '18, 04:44

It's kind of silly that Kassius Ohno has been asking the whereabouts of Matt Riddle every week, only for Riddle to show up and Ohno doesn't.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 08:08 I don’t like Riddle’s new music at all.
Did you like his old music? I thought it was a pretty well done generic version of it...
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 19:54 At times btw...This Matt Riddle looks like Pete Dunne's American brother. Get gloves, elbow and knee pads and boots btw.
I agree... he looks naked. I know it's an MMA thing, but it's hard to envision him winning a championship looking like that.

I'm surprised we didn't get an intro video or a post match promo from him, if you didn't know anything about him going in, this was probably a really shitty debut...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 5th, '18, 09:04

Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 04:44 It's kind of silly that Kassius Ohno has been asking the whereabouts of Matt Riddle every week, only for Riddle to show up and Ohno doesn't.
Good point. There was no reason not to do a post-match confrontation here. Ohno should also be miffed at Regal for not booking him vs. Riddle.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 1st, '18, 08:08 I don’t like Riddle’s new music at all.
Did you like his old music? I thought it was a pretty well done generic version of it...[/quote]
I loved his old music. The two arne't even close.

Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 04:44 I'm surprised we didn't get an intro video or a post match promo from him, if you didn't know anything about him going in, this was probably a really shitty debut...
Yeah. Not even a single bro.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 5th, '18, 09:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 09:04
Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 04:44 It's kind of silly that Kassius Ohno has been asking the whereabouts of Matt Riddle every week, only for Riddle to show up and Ohno doesn't.
Good point. There was no reason not to do a post-match confrontation here. Ohno should also be miffed at Regal for not booking him vs. Riddle.
Did you like his old music? I thought it was a pretty well done generic version of it...
I loved his old music. The two arne't even close.

Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 04:44 I'm surprised we didn't get an intro video or a post match promo from him, if you didn't know anything about him going in, this was probably a really shitty debut...
Yeah. Not even a single bro.
[/quote]

Wait! You forgot to mention how much YOU, ALSO dislike his very minimum ring gear as well, because I know how you feel about. I remember what you said...."Oh no this is mma looking type of stuff!"

No reason you can't do that with gloves and pads and boots with kickpads and all of that as well. Wouldn't it furtherly help get that image across anyway? Like Ken Shamrock used to do.

So yeah btw...what is he? A "cool guy, dope smoking , California type of guy, who thinks he's related to every man always"?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 5th, '18, 22:23

KILLdozer wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 09:53 So yeah btw...what is he? A "cool guy, dope smoking , California type of guy, who thinks he's related to every man always"?
Kind of...?

It's hard to explain. Accomplished UFC fighter, was ranked in the top 10 in the world when he was fired for failing drug tests.

Very down to earth and likable, very confident but not quite cocky. We all know people just like Matt, which is what makes him so relatable, except Matt's a wrestler and is gonna fuck you up when the bell rings. Very yin and yang, but he makes it work really really well.

His german suplex is wild, his core strength is proportional to Cesaro's...

He works a very believable style, he hits hard and gets hit hard, with some innovative takedowns and submissions, make him an absolute joy to watch. Reminds me of pre-wwe Daniel Bryan... and at the risk of being burned at the stake, I'll say he might be better.
KILLdozer wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 09:53 No reason you can't do that with gloves and pads and boots with kickpads and all of that as well. Wouldn't it furtherly help get that image across anyway? Like Ken Shamrock used to do.
It looks silly, it really does, like a dude wrestling in his underwear. BUT... it's him, and I'd hate to see him change. Like Bret Hart and his pink tights or Cena in his denim knee bangers... it's something you just get used to.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 5th, '18, 22:33

Cena eventually switched to camoflauge and khakis!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 5th, '18, 22:36

Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 22:23
He works a very believable style, he hits hard and gets hit hard, with some innovative takedowns and submissions, make him an absolute joy to watch. Reminds me of pre-wwe Daniel Bryan... and at the risk of being burned at the stake, I'll say he might be better.
Go watch some 2005-2008 ROH Bryan Danielson matches again and then take this back! Or do you want me to start passing out torches and pitchforks?
(Seriously, though, Riddle is awesome, but he's not close to prime Danielson level.)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 6th, '18, 00:43

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 22:36
Bob-O wrote: Nov 5th, '18, 22:23
Go watch some 2005-2008 ROH Bryan Danielson matches again and then take this back! Or do you want me to start passing out torches and pitchforks?
(Seriously, though, Riddle is awesome, but he's not close to prime Danielson level.)
Storytelling no, but I'm having way more fun watching indy-Riddle than I had watching indy-Danielson. Dragon had Gabe, so his stuff feels like it has more meaning, but on a match to match basis, Riddle consistently blows my mind AS a spectacle where Dragon was the very capable frontman OF a spectacle. There's a difference.

I wasn't there for it. So, in catching up with things and learning about these guys, to REALLY appreciate Daniel Bryan, you have to go back and watch 6 months of history building up to this hour long match that has a great finish and sweaty handshake at the end in front of a Philly crowd, and you say "Wow! What a ride, Danielson's awesome! I'll have to watch more of that sometime when I have time..." Or, I can watch a 30 minute Riddle match with no backstory, and say "Wow! This Matt Riddle guy is something really special!"