BRM Reviews the 10/24/2018 NXT (Mystery Solved)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/24/2018 NXT (Mystery Solved)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 25th, '18, 02:12

REGAL GIVES SECURITY THEIR ORDERS- Earlier today, Regal met with his team of… four security guards. He stationed them by a door and ordered them to make sure that when Aleister Black shows up, the first thing he does is go speak to Mr. Regal.

Vic Joseph is substituting for Mauro tonight.

OPENING SEGMENT-
Undisputed Era came out and Cole cut a promo saying they were back at 100% and everyone should fear them. Cole started to cut a promo on Ricochet but EC III came out and said Cole didn’t deserve a rematch and cut a promo on Undisputed. Cole did a great job of being believably angry at Ethan’s pretty silly bravado and insults and challenged EC III to wrestle him right now. A referee came out, so we officially got…

EC III vs. ADAM COLE (w/Undisputed Era)- 7/10
Cole worked over Ethan’s head and neck. Ethan was a great babyface here, and did a lot of stuff I don’ think I’ve ever seen him do before (nothing crazy, but just general stuff like a powerbomb that I really like seeing mixed into matches occasionally even if it’s not part of someone’s regular move-set. Ethan overcame UE’s attempts to interfere and rolled Cole up for the win in a great opener.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great!
EC III celebrated… but as he left the ring he got blindsided (on both sides) by a high/low combination from Strong & O’Reilly. UE then beat the crap out of him ending with a Running Knee to the back of the head by Cole and Fish grabbing a chair and destroying Ethan’s knee with it.

MIA YIM VIDEO PACKAGE- it was basically the same one from the Mae Young Classic. Mia will is apparently making her NXT debut next. Cool.

NIKKI CROSS BOTHERS THE SECURITY GUARDS- She keeps saying “HE’S COMING!,” jumping up and down excitedly, and then runs away. Vic Joseph figures that she must be talking about Aleister Black, but just the fact that he brought it up makes me think it must be someone else (possibly Aleister’s attacker).

MIA YIM vs. ALIYAH- 5.5/10
This was perfect for what it was. Yim got shined a bit, got to show off her ability to sell during a solid heat, then came back and won. I just wish she’d use a cooler finish than Sole Food/Eat Defeat.

SERIES OF BACKSTAGE REGAL SEGMENT- good
First Bianca Belair demanded a title shot from him because she is un-de-fea-ted. She left, and Regal continued on his way to his office where he was interviewed by Cathy Kelley, asking him if he knew whose name Nikki Cross told Aleister Black last week. Regal said he didn’t know, but knows that Aleister will raise hell when he shows up. Then Undisputed Era showed up and were angry at Regal for… some reason or another. Regal yelled at them for their actions this week and last week, and told Cole & Fish that they would be facing the War Raiders next week.

ROMAN REIGNS VIDEO PACKAGE- The video package version of this feels… exploitive isn’t the right word, exactly, but it just doesn’t sit right with me. It feels like they’re taking Roman’s shoot speech and already turning it into a WWE… storyline isn’t quite the right word, but they put this together like they would any other big story video package, and it just feels wrong to me.

LACEY EVANS VIDEO PACKAGE- Hopefully this is a sign that they have found a way to bring the disparate elements of this character together. Basically, she is doing the “I am an exemplar of what every woman wishes she could be” arrogance, but in a more twenty-first century way, (i.e. not only focusing on looks) mixed with the heel southern belle “I’ll teach you a lesson in manners” gimmick.

SANE-BASZLER HYPE VIDE- great!

JUSTIN XAVIER vs. KASSIUS OHNO- no rating, good segment
Ohno squashed Xavier while yelling at Regal for ‘not giving him what he asked for.” After the match, Nikki Cross came out and told Ohno “I know what you did.

MATT RIDDLE VIDEO PACKAGE- not a good video package at all, bro.
But Riddle will be debuting next week.

REGAL ANNOUNCES THE #1 CONTENDER FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP AT TAKEOVER: WAR GAMES II-
Ciampa came out, probably uninvited. He chose to do his posing routine directly in front of Regal, just to be a dick. Ciampa was rude to Regal. The Velveteen Dream then came out and insisted that he should be the #1 contender. Lars Sullivan also came out. TVD insulted him for not wearing pants so Lars grabbed him. Meanwhile, Nikki Cross ran into the ring.
Aleister Black showed up and killed some security people, plus a camera. Black hit Lars with Black Mass, then grabbed Regal and shouted “WHERE IS HE!” Then he got superkicked by his attacker, who said “I’m right here!” And that attacker was…
Hidden text.
THE BROOKLYN BRAWLER!

Hidden text.
Just kidding. It was Johnny Gargano.

I don't like this. It seemed like they had just turned Gargano back solidly babyface. It also leaves open the plot thread of what Nikki "knows" that Ciampa did, and Ohno as well. Her seeing one thing up on that roof I can buy. Three different mega-secret things happening all at the same time and within Nikki Cross' line of sight? That's too convenient for me. This also seems like a missed opportunity to make a new main eventer. To be fair, I'm not really sure who would have been ready and needed to be elevated other than Ohno or Lee, and Ohno is already involved in his own thing and Lee shouldn't be a heel right now. Maybe Joseph Conners from the NXT UK brand, or Donovan Dijak, to make them in one fell swoop. G-d knows those two have been sitting around under contract and not doing anything on TV for an awfully long time.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/24/2018 NXT (Mystery Solved)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 25th, '18, 10:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 02:12
Hidden text.
Just kidding. It was Johnny Gargano.

I don't like this. It seemed like they had just turned Gargano back solidly babyface. It also leaves open the plot thread of what Nikki "knows" that Ciampa did, and Ohno as well. Her seeing one thing up on that roof I can buy. Three different mega-secret things happening all at the same time and within Nikki Cross' line of sight? That's too convenient for me. This also seems like a missed opportunity to make a new main eventer. To be fair, I'm not really sure who would have been ready and needed to be elevated other than Ohno or Lee, and Ohno is already involved in his own thing and Lee shouldn't be a heel right now. Maybe Joseph Conners from the NXT UK brand, or Donovan Dijak, to make them in one fell swoop. G-d knows those two have been sitting around under contract and not doing anything on TV for an awfully long time.
Hidden text.
While from a technical standpoint I agree that it probably should have been someone they were looking to elevate, look what happened when Rikishi was revealed to be the guy who ran over Austin. It felt like a wet fart, partially because fans didn't want a heel Rikishi, and because they had no desire for Austin/Rikishi. On the other hand, it may not feel like it, because of Ciampa starting the angle injured, but Gargano's babyface arc has been going on for somewhere around two years. What could Gargano possibly do as a babyface that he hadn't already done? It's the Steve Austin principle. From a creative standpoint, Austin was turned heel at WM17 because there was nothing for him to do as a babyface that hadn't already been done. Furthermore, who could possibly be more of an impactful heel opponent for Gargano than Ciampa was. Every other feud would feel less important by comparison

Both sides of this coin on how the mystery was to be solved have equal validity,, but in the end it's how creative ties up the arc that will make the difference.
I also like Nikki Cross still having dirt on some of the guys in the roster. The sneaky goblin is a roll Cross was born to play
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 25th, '18, 10:31

Yeah, "I know what you did" , still being leftover is kinda strange, but it's actually unique in a way that it's a style of storytelling you don't see nearly enough of in WWE anymore.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 25th, '18, 11:43

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 10:24
Hidden text.
While from a technical standpoint I agree that it probably should have been someone they were looking to elevate, look what happened when Rikishi was revealed to be the guy who ran over Austin. It felt like a wet fart, partially because fans didn't want a heel Rikishi, and because they had no desire for Austin/Rikishi. On the other hand, it may not feel like it, because of Ciampa starting the angle injured, but Gargano's babyface arc has been going on for somewhere around two years. What could Gargano possibly do as a babyface that he hadn't already done? It's the Steve Austin principle. From a creative standpoint, Austin was turned heel at WM17 because there was nothing for him to do as a babyface that hadn't already been done. Furthermore, who could possibly be more of an impactful heel opponent for Gargano than Ciampa was. Every other feud would feel less important by comparison

Both sides of this coin on how the mystery was to be solved have equal validity,, but in the end it's how creative ties up the arc that will make the difference.
Hidden text.
What has Gargano not done as a babyface, yet? WIN THE BELT. Have a touching moment with his wife. Also, while Gargano's babyface arc has been going for for two years, he did miss a bunch of time for both legit and worked injuries (and other worked reasons), and the story has not been constant. First it was "can they do it?" with Ciampa as a team, then it was getting turned on. Then he chased the belt for a bit but screwed by Ciampa. Then he had to get revenge on Cimapa. Then he had to deal with the mental fallout from his failure to get revenge on Ciampa... and it seemed like he had just finally done that and was ready to move back into the title picture.
I'm not saying the problem was that it was Gargano that did it. I'm saying the problem was turning him back heel. It would have been much more interesting to me to have him fess up once he realized that Nikki had told Black the right name and say he was in a bad mental place when he did it and he's sorry and he totally understands if Aleister wants to fight him and he'd be happy to have that match. For example, instead of doing it like this, what if we followed Aleister's rampage of destruction to the private dressing room of Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae, and Aleister, assuming it was Gargano is hiding in there, just kicks the door down... only to for it to swing open easily and smack a completely unprepared Candice right in the face and knock her out and give her a big cut right on the forehead. And it turns out Gargano wasn't even in there. Candice was in there chatting with Johnny's mother, who is now completely terrified by this pierced, tattooed madman screaming "WHERE IS HE?!" at her, and who has just kicked a door in and knocked out her daughter in law.
Then you suspend Aleister for a week (he not only destroyed property and injured Candice in his recklessness, but he also terrorized a civilian and beat up security guards for no good reason), while you have speculation about whether Nikki even told Aleister the truth. At the end of next week's show Gargano would then come forward and admit it was him, and say that he didn't admit to it before because he knew Aleister would be insanely mad and he was worried Aleister might take it out on Candice, but now Candice got hurt anyway and his mother was traumatized, so he will freely admit to it, but apologizes and says he was in a bad head-space and he'll gladly fight Aleister whenever Mr. Regal allows. This would continue the story of Johnny's redemption, as he must now face the consequences of his misdeeds. You can also have Ciampa play into this in the background by pointing out that this is the second time Johnny has gotten Candice hurt and stir up sh*t that way, while now teasing that Aleister might cross the line into heeldom in his desire for revenge on Johnny, just like Johnny did in desire for revenge on Ciampa. This could lead to Gargano vs. Black at TakeOver: War Games II with Gargano getting the win (possibly even by exploiting Aleister's rage, just like Ciampa did to him at the past two TakeOvers), with this setting up Gargano as #1 contender for the Royal Rumble Takeover, with him winning the belt from Ciampa a year after losing his first shot at it, then you can go to Mania with either the three-way that that same building was supposed to get for TakeOver Brooklyn IV, or you can do the Ciampa/Gargano rematch on the road to Mania (ideally as close as possible to the one-year anniversary of Ciampa screwing Gargano out of the title and his career), and then go to Brooklyn for Mania weekend with Black challenging for the title for the second year in a row, but this year he is doing it as a heel.

I think the flaw in the Austin/Rikishi comparison lies in the fanbases of the time, and the fact that I don't think anyone wanted to see Rikishi as a heel. If you took a guy the NXT/indy fanbase already likes and made him the guy, they would be happy with him as a main eventer.
NWK2000 wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 10:24 I also like Nikki Cross still having dirt on some of the guys in the roster. The sneaky goblin is a roll Cross was born to play
I'm just worried it won't actually ever be followed up on.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 25th, '18, 12:18

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 11:43
Hidden text.
What has Gargano not done as a babyface, yet? WIN THE BELT. Have a touching moment with his wife.
Hidden text.
Now that you say that, I'm sure we'll see this when he comes back to the light, wins the title, and makes up with his wife a la Savage and Elizabeth at WM8 sans retirement. It's just a twist that makes the story more intriguing
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 25th, '18, 13:42

What Brm suggested was exactly what I speculated they might have ended up going with...and would have possibly made more sense over the current long term.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 26th, '18, 20:31

Hidden text.
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 02:12 I don't like this. It seemed like they had just turned Gargano back solidly babyface.
What was "solid" about that to you? I wasn't out of the week-to-week phase myself, there was never any real closure to his breakdown I love it!
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 02:12 It also leaves open the plot thread of what Nikki "knows" that Ciampa did, and Ohno as well. Her seeing one thing up on that roof I can buy. Three different mega-secret things happening all at the same time and within Nikki Cross' line of sight? That's too convenient for me.

Or she's just a lunatic and didn't see anything.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '18, 16:54

Bob-O wrote: Oct 26th, '18, 20:31
Hidden text.
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 02:12 I don't like this. It seemed like they had just turned Gargano back solidly babyface.
What was "solid" about that to you? I wasn't out of the week-to-week phase myself, there was never any real closure to his breakdown I love it!
That thing with the kid in that match where he was going to use the running knee but then didn't, and had been a pure babyface since then.
Bob-O wrote: Oct 26th, '18, 20:31
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 25th, '18, 02:12 It also leaves open the plot thread of what Nikki "knows" that Ciampa did, and Ohno as well. Her seeing one thing up on that roof I can buy. Three different mega-secret things happening all at the same time and within Nikki Cross' line of sight? That's too convenient for me.

Or she's just a lunatic and didn't see anything.[/spoiler]
Yeah, but that's just not how WWE- or, honestly, any promotion- even CHIKARA- operates. She is an acknowledged crazy person, butat no point was that possibility even addressed by the announcers which would make them all look like idiots.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '18, 13:58

Ah yes, those WAR RAIDERS! Who doesn't like those that...raid...wars!??!?

Ranaldo just called them..."modern day Vikings..." You know what that means!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 31st, '18, 16:44

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 31st, '18, 13:58 Ah yes, those WAR RAIDERS! Who doesn't like those that...raid...wars!??!?

They don't raid wars. They raid during war.
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 31st, '18, 13:58 Ranaldo just called them..."modern day Vikings..." You know what that means!
That one of them is hooking up with Sarah Logan? Yes. We already knew that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '18, 17:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 31st, '18, 16:44
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 31st, '18, 13:58 Ah yes, those WAR RAIDERS! Who doesn't like those that...raid...wars!??!?

They don't raid wars. They raid during war.
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 31st, '18, 13:58 Ranaldo just called them..."modern day Vikings..." You know what that means!
That one of them is hooking up with Sarah Logan? Yes. We already knew that.
Why would anyone like guys like that then? Sounds like ...bastards...scoundrels, barbarians...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 31st, '18, 18:29

And....after looking it up...WHY WOULD ANYONE KNOW THAT?!?!?!

I will say this...out of all your vanilla Indy guys...they for once...AREN'T midgets...I'm not sure about what Rowe's stomach tattoo is supposed to say though...has he always had the sleeves filled btw?