BRM Reviews the 10/10/2018 NXT (COLE VS. DUNNE VS. RICOCHET!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/10/2018 NXT (COLE VS. DUNNE VS. RICOCHET!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '18, 22:54

OPENING SEGMENT- Tommaso Ciampa comes out and cuts a promo warning The Velveteen Dream to stop making accusations that he attacked Aleister Black. TVD came out and said he thought the NXT Title would be much happier with him than with the “angry little bald man” who currently holds it. Ciampa suggested that TVD wasn’t “tough enough” to take it from him. That was a GREAT line. TVD was confident that he win the belt if given the chance… and then Nikki Cross’ music hit.
Nikki whipped her jacket onto the ground and started hopping around like a frog. She then nuzzle dup against Ciampa, then tried to take TVD’s jacket off. She continued to act weird, which had TVD very disturbed. She eventually lightly smacked TVD and told him “I know what you know.” She then went over to Ciampa and knocked the mic out of his hand. She has had a completely insane grin plastered onto her face the entire time.
Nikki then laid down prone with her face by the microphone and gleefully told Ciampa “I know what you did.” She then quickly got up and chased TVD away. When Ciampa went to pick up the mic, Nikki kicked it away from him. Nikki then left, repeating “I know!” in a singsong voice. This was a well-executed segment, but at the same time it was frustrating because it really seemed like we were going to get an answer but then didn’t, and for no other reason than that the crazy lady won’t tell us because she enjoys being able to walk around saying that she knows something.

KONA REEVES vs. KEITH LEE- 4.5/10
This was fine for the time it got and what it was. They shined Lee up, Reeves got a bit in to let him look credible, then Lee made his comeback and won with a jackhammer called the “Supernova.” That name needs to change.

SHAYNA BASZLER VIDEO PACKAGE- great!

KAIRI SANE PRESS CONFERENCE- Kairi didn’t say anything interesting, but the questions (especially the one asking Kairi if she was worried that Shayna’s new training routine/technique/whatever would give her an edge in their match) was a stark illustration of the contrast between Hunter’s booking and Vince’s.

WILLIAM REGAL & KASSIUS OHNO BACKSTAGE- This started with an interviewer asking Regal about the earlier segment with Ciampa, Nikki, and TVD. Regal didn’t say anything interesting. Then Ohno showed up and got in Regal’s about Matt Riddle having not shown up yet, and then theorized that maybe Riddle was the one who attacked Alesiter Black and isn’t showing up because he is afraid.
Regal went into his office, and then Nikki Cross showed up and told Ohno “I know what you...” and then she finished it with a word that I could not understand, and I rewound it at least six time and put my ear right up to the speaker and still couldn’t understand what Nikki said.
I liked the Regal/Ohno part of this, but the Ohno/Nikki part totally fails for me because why the hell did they not have her do this over in post-production to make it intelligible?

WAR MACHINE VS. UNDISPUTED ERA VIDEO PACKAGE- excellent build to next week’s title match.
Also announced for next week is a rematch between Nikki Cross and Bianca Belair.

NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: Ricochet(c) vs. Pete Dunne vs. Adam Cole- 9.75/10
These guys put on an ABSOLUTELY INSANE three-way, with great limb-work and a story designed to remind us that while Pete Dunne might be a babyface, he is not a nice person. Unfortunately, even the editing couldn’t hide the fact that Ricochet was late breaking up the pin in the finishing sequence, so this winds up as a 9.75.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/10/2018 NXT (COLE VS. DUNNE VS. RICOCHET!)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 12th, '18, 08:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 22:54 Unfortunately, even the editing couldn’t hide the fact that Ricochet was late breaking up the pin in the finishing sequence, so this winds up as a 9.75.
I watched the match after reading this, with an eye out for that spot. It actually sort of looked like Adam Cole squirmed out of the pin, or at least Dunne broke it intentionally to sell shock. So in terms of finishing sequences fucked up by people being late, this is the least offensive example of it.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 14th, '18, 08:13

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 22:54 She then went over to Ciampa and knocked the mic out of his hand.
I went nuts for this. Just little things that make Cross and Ciampa so great. I think it's a big reason why Nikki hasn't been called up, her character is so useful in the development of other characters. How does 'x' react when in an odd/uncomfortable situation? First Baszler and Belair, now with the Black Attack thing her interactions are benefiting the male roster as well.

That said, this Mystery Attacker thing is starting to feel like a grind. You'll get that with mass TV tapings, but beyond getting Nikki on TV and giving people a chance to tell Regal he's not doing his job, it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. These segments as a part of the show (again, loving the character development) are starting to fall flat with me.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 14th, '18, 15:39

Bob-O wrote: Oct 14th, '18, 08:13
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 10th, '18, 22:54 She then went over to Ciampa and knocked the mic out of his hand.
I went nuts for this. Just little things that make Cross and Ciampa so great. I think it's a big reason why Nikki hasn't been called up, her character is so useful in the development of other characters. How does 'x' react when in an odd/uncomfortable situation? First Baszler and Belair, now with the Black Attack thing her interactions are benefiting the male roster as well.
This is a very interesting point I had not thought of. Then again, she could provide this same service on the main roster, assuming the writers there were competent/allowed to be competent.
Bob-O wrote: Oct 14th, '18, 08:13 That said, this Mystery Attacker thing is starting to feel like a grind. You'll get that with mass TV tapings, but beyond getting Nikki on TV and giving people a chance to tell Regal he's not doing his job, it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. These segments as a part of the show (again, loving the character development) are starting to fall flat with me.
I actually think Nikki is the problem with this. It takes what was previously a mystery to be unfurled by our sleuth William Regal (while the others all accuse each other of things to set up their own feuds), and has turned it into the waiting game of "when will crazy Nikki randomly decide to spill the beans." There is no longer a quest for answers because we know where the answers are, and are just waiting on the whims of a crazy lady to tell us.
(That being said, I still stand my original prediction that this is a red herring a Nikki is actually talking about a completely separate bad thing that Ciampa did.
An amusing alternative theory is one Bryan & Vinny came up with there it's a type of Murder on the Orient Express thing
Hidden text.
and the whole roster was involved and they're all lying to cover each other
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3