BRM Reviews the 9/5/2018 NXT (excellent!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/5/2018 NXT (excellent!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 6th, '18, 20:04

KASSIUS OHNO vs. KONA REEVES- squash
Ohno pretty much squashed Reeves, which is what should happen because Ohno is great and Reeves is not.

KASSIUS OHNO PROMO- great
He says he’s tired of people coming into NXT with buzz while he goes nowhere, so from now on, whenever someone comes in which a lot of buzz, he is going to be “the first one to greet you, and the first one to knock you to the back of the line.”

THE STREET PROFITS vs. THE FORGOTTEN SONS (Wesley Blake & Steve Cutler) (w/Jaxson Ryker)- 6.5/10
These guys were having a perfectly good babyface vs. heel tag team match when Shane Thorne popped out from under the ring in a ski mask to cause a distraction, allowing the Ryker to attack Ford and help his team get the win. Why the hell was Thorne hiding under the ring and wearing a ski mask? Couldn’t he have accomplished the same thing by just strolling down the ramp?
Hey… wait a minute! Jaxson Ryker is f*cking GUNNER from TNA, isn’t he? I don’t know who Steve Cutler is, but between Gunner and Buddy Murphy’s Marty Jannetty, I think this might be the single most appropriate stable-name in wrestling history.

REGAL & THE LAWYER INTERVIEW HEAVY MACHINERY- weird
Otis Dozevic is now Chris Farley. Tucker Knight said that they saw Ciampa near the bushes by Aleister Black’s fallen body.

RICOCHET & DUNNE ARGUE AFTER THEIR MATCH LAST WEEK- good
We’re getting a title vs. title match in two weeks. I see this going to a non-finish via Undisputed Era run-in.

WAR RAIDERS VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good.
They’re coming for the tag titles.

KAIRI SANE vs. TRISH ADORA- great squash
Kairi is keeping the belt in a treasure chest, along with a bunch of gold coins. This is taking the gimmick too far, IMO, but if anyone can make it work, it’s Kairi Sane.
Trish Adora is a Dudleys trainee. She has a sister who is also in the business name Luch.
Kairi squashed her larger opponent. Then again, pretty much every opponent is a “larger opponent.” I looked it up. The only woman in the company shorter than her is Zelina Vega, and the only two who way less than her (billed weight, anyway) are Alexa Bliss! and Vega.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great!
Shayna Baszler came out and knocked over the treasure chest. She then cut a promo mocking Kairi by using pirate-related metaphors and similes. Baszler said Kairi wouldn’t stand a chance when she invoked her rematch clause. Baszler tried to start a fight but Kairi came out on top. This humiliation will surely only serve to make Baszler angrier and more dangerous the next time these two meet.

TOMMASO CIAMPA PROMO- interesting
He explains to us why all of his promos take place in a random spot backstage, shot on his own camera. It’s because he doesn’t care about what the fans have to say and thus doesn’t want to hear them. He made some interesting comments about there being a few people out there who truly understand what he is saying and inviting them to “follow the lead of Tommaso Cimapa.

REGAL & THE LAWYER INTERVIEW LARS SULLIVAN- Lars claims that he was going to attack Aleister but someone else beat him to it. Regal tells Lars that Raul Mendoza will get a chance for revenge on him next week.

JOHNNY GARGANO vs. THE VELVETEEN DREAM- 8.75/10
TVD came out to the ring in a “Johnny Wrestling” t-shirt that he had modified to read “Johnny Failure.”
They did stuff for a while in and it was awesome. TVD worked over Johnny’s knee while Johnny worked over Dream’s arm. Johnny got frustrated by his inability to put TVD away and started going for the draping DDT. At one point he had TVD lying on and apron and was going to hit him with a draping DDT down to the floor but saw a kid in the crowd with a Johnny Wrestling t-shirt and Johnny Wrestling sign and Gargano “remembered who he was” and after TVD called him “Johnny Failure” again he went for the knee instead to put TVD away… but TVD countered it into the Dream Valley Driver for the win. If only Johnny hadn’t seen that kid and had that epiphany then he would have won this match.
This was an excellent next step for Gargano’s descent into darkness, and a strong win for TVD. I think Dream might well wind up being Ciampa’s next Takeover challenger.

An excellent show from NXT, capped off by a great main event. The next Takeover isn’t until November, but they seem to be doing a good job of telling their stories at a relatively slow pace, which should allow them to both build to Takeover well while also building up for one big match to be in the main event spot each week. I think we’re in for some fun TV for the next few months.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/5/2018 NXT (excellent!)

Post by cero2k » Sep 6th, '18, 21:21

"I think Dream might well wind up being Ciampa’s next Takeover challenger."

not that it's hard, but he'd have to do a hell of a turn into babyface-dom

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 6th, '18, 21:42

cero2k wrote: Sep 6th, '18, 21:21 "I think Dream might well wind up being Ciampa’s next Takeover challenger."

not that it's hard, but he'd have to do a hell of a turn into babyface-dom
I had considered this, and I think Ciampa is the guy who can do it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 6th, '18, 23:08

I told you Gunnar was Jaxson Ryker last week lol, and who the other two were as well.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 6th, '18, 23:52

Gargano’s descent into darkness is the whole “embrace the hate” storyline being done right... because a heel turn could actually be at the end of it. Every one knew Cena would never turn...

Ciampa is gold... it’s a shame he probably won’t get top billing on the main roster because his heel work, particularly as champ is top level.

Dream could transition to face, but as others have rightly mentioned... probably only Ciampa could facilitate this...

Dunne & Richochet I am definitely looking forward to (well, up The the finish which BRM rightly points out will probably be some form of dq or no contest finish due to interference).

I wouldn’t mind if Dunne and Ricochet were then saved by Moustache Mountain, it would set up Moustache Mountain vs UE for tag titles (because I would happily watch that again... )and then possibly a three way two falls match with both titles on the line with Dunne vs Ricochet vs Cole (remember that Benoit/angle/Jericho match).
I’d be all over it.
Have A Nice Day!