BRM Reviews the 8/15/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/15/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 16th, '18, 07:19

ALEISTER BLACK HAS BEEN LAID OUT IN THE PARKING LOT BY AN UNKNOWN ASSAILANT(S) AFTER LAST WEEK’S SHOW-
Both Johnny Gargano and Undisputed Era can be clearly seen leaving the area, with no attention called to either. Of course, that doesn’t mean that they’re not both red herrings, either.

THE STREET PROFITS vs. THE MIGHTY- 5.5/10
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Montez for is at least 95% of the charisma on this team. If he ever decides to quit, Angelo Dawkins is totally f*cked.
This was a fun tag match, with an awesome set-up for the hot tag. The finish saw one of the Aussies roll Ford up and pull the tights but Ford reversed it on him, complete with the tights-pulling. Turnabout is fair play in this case.

SHAYNA BASZLER GIVES ALIYAH SOME POINTERS- Aliyah is facing Kairi Sane next. I look forward to seeing this goof try to grabble with Kairi and getting embarrassed.

UNDISPUTED ERA PROMO- good heel fun

KAIRI SANE vs. ALIYAH- no rating, AWESOME semi-squash
Shayna Baszler came out to do commentary. Aliyah was allowed some offense, but once Kairi took over, that was it. Aliyah made hilarious noises when she was about to get hit. Kairi hit the InSane Elbow, but instead of going for the cover she pointed at Baszler, then hit another one. Then another… then she pulled Aliyah up on the pinfall and made her tap out to the Anchor.

ADAM COLE VS. RICOCHET VIDEO PACKAGE- great, aside from that terrible outfit Ricochet was wearing. He should never wear that again. Nor should anyone else, for that matter. I think it would be best if he just burned it.

THE VELVETEEN DREAM/EC III SEGMENT- meh
Dream came out to cut a promo but was soon interrupted by EC III. I found Ethan to be greatly annoying in this segment. Ethan offered to fight right now. TVD took him up on the offer but got laid out.

MORE POOSSIBLE SUSPECTS- Also in the area at the time were:
Lars Sullivan, Heavy Machinery
Kassius Ohno (I assume the comment that he “joins” Kairi and Candice in the video was meant to emphasize that they were at that table the whole time and he just showed up now, so he’s the suspect and not them)
Kona Reeves,
Ricochet
Wesley Blake, Jaxon Ryker, & Some Other Dude whose name I forgot
EC III
The Velveteen Dream
Shayna Baszler
Marcel Barthel, Cezar Bononi, & Fabian Aichner
And also maybe some others I missed
Based on the way they did this one segment, I think this mystery might wind up being a lot of fun.

CIAMPA VS. GARGANO VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome

Does WWE actually think that Eric Bischoff and Bruce Pritchard arguing over the Monday Night Wars is still some sort of draw for people? Are they that out of touch?

TYLER BATE (w/Trent Seven) vs. RODERICK STRONG (w/Kyle O’Reilly)- 7.25/10
Bate gets the win to build momentum for their title challenge.

A very fun go-home show from NXT.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/15/2018 NXT

Post by Bob-O » Aug 16th, '18, 09:34

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 16th, '18, 07:19 MORE POOSSIBLE SUSPECTS- Also in the area at the time were:
Lars Sullivan, Heavy Machinery
Kassius Ohno (I assume the comment that he “joins” Kairi and Candice in the video was meant to emphasize that they were at that table the whole time and he just showed up now, so he’s the suspect and not them)
Kona Reeves,
Ricochet
Wesley Blake, Jaxon Ryker, & Some Other Dude whose name I forgot
EC III
The Velveteen Dream
Shayna Baszler
Marcel Barthel, Cezar Bononi, & Fabian Aichner
And also maybe some others I missed
Based on the way they did this one segment, I think this mystery might wind up being a lot of fun.
Well, we know it wasn't Bazsler. She'd be bragging about it. But I'm not gonna lie, THAT'S how you market an all women's PPV. Shayna Baszler beats the shit out of anyone that says they aren't going to watch it. Aleister doesn't have a TV in his tent or whatever he lives in, and Shayna can be heard screaming "YOU TWEET ALL THE TIME, YOU CAN STREAM THE WWE NETWORK ACROSS ALL YOUR DEVICES!" while beating the hell out of him.

Honestly, I've been wondering why Ohno has been getting squashes on TV lately for no real reason. I know non-kayfabe, the Aleister thing wasn't planned, but maybe it'll work right into whatever they're building Ohno up for. Heel turn into a Keith Lee fued?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 16th, '18, 10:32

Yeah that said it was probably Ohno. "Wants competition and believes he deserves more opportunities around here".
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 16th, '18, 11:31

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 16th, '18, 10:32 Yeah that said it was probably Ohno. "Wants competition and believes he deserves more opportunities around here".
They way I see it, they only have 3 established "hoss" -type singles guys in Ohno, Sullivan, and now Keith Lee. I read somewhere that Vince is high on Sullivan, and Lee is still oozing in that indy-charm that Triple H loves so much, so I imagine in the big picture they're aiming to pair those two for the next TakeOver.

Ohno's the only established big guy they have to work with to get Lee a win over a bigger guy that wouldn't seem like a jobber or a competitive squash. Ohno's last actual program was doing the same thing for Sullivan. In Ohno's last actual match we saw him losing to lil Tomasso, so they've got some work to do... "taking out" Black would be a good start.

It just doesn't make sense why they'd put Chubs on two TV's in a row squashing guys when we haven't seen people who are actually on the TakeOver card (Ricochet, Dream) in the ring in a while...

I really hope I'm right, I've always liked Hero way more as a heel...

Not related, but thinking of the next TakeOver, we're gonna get War Machine in a War Games match. With everyone else who's already there, and Riddle coming in, I'm already really excited for it!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 16th, '18, 13:26

He's facing jobbers so he can become more frustrated about wanting more actual competition lol.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 16th, '18, 22:46

I really don't like these Street profits dudes. Especially Dawkins. He reminds of a discount Carmello Anthony lol. Also...why is the got dang black dude the main one endorsing them lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 17th, '18, 01:40

Bob-O wrote: Aug 16th, '18, 09:34 I know non-kayfabe, the Aleister thing wasn't planned, but maybe it'll work right into whatever they're building Ohno up for.
That's the thing I like the most about this whole thing: They took a negative and found a way to turn it into a positive. On the main roster Black would just vanish for two months or however long his injury would put him out for, with no mention made of his disappearance, then be brought back when he's healthy without comment or explanation. Here, they're not only acknowledging the injury, but turning it into part of a relatively unique story that keeps Black and his injury at the forefront of our minds, even if he himself is off TV and never heard from for twelve weeks.

I have no idea who it might be (though I think Ohno is a good guess), but I will be extremely disappointed if it turns out to be Ciampa or Gargano, just because this story sets up Black's next two Takeover matches (one against his assailant, then a title shot to make good for the one that this injury is causing him to miss, with the big story of can he reclaim the belt), and it being either one of those guys would turn those two matches into one.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 17th, '18, 01:45

The attack from behind isn't Lee's style, plus Ohno is the "Knockout Artist" so a one-shot KO from behind is much more in his wheelhouse than either of the other two, who are more power guys and brawlers than they are big "technical" or "precision" strikers like Ohno or a Tajiri-type" martial arts kick to the head" guy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 17th, '18, 07:48

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 16th, '18, 22:46 I really don't like these Street profits dudes. Especially Dawkins. He reminds of a discount Carmello Anthony lol. Also...why is the got dang black dude the main one endorsing them lol.
I don't know what they see in Dawkins. He's been around forever. I think Montez has a really high ceiling as a singles act, though. I like the Street Profits a lot more when I just watch Ford... even if he's just standing on the apron...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 17th, '18, 11:18

Yeah, he comes across as a complete absolute fuckin' idiot. He's like New day jr or something lol

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 17th, '18, 14:57

Ohno is the only one with any subtle story lying hidden that's possibly building to it being him. What better than a shocker "It's me Austin, it was me all along!!!" Type of thing like this to really cap it off?

Frustrated, been down one hell of a rocky slope, and one way or another has probably been there longer than anyone else actively at this point. They're not talking about how he's getting to the point of jaded and stuff on commentary for no reason. Watch his last match and pay close attention this expressions and body language-it subtlety says it all.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 17th, '18, 15:23

Also...Bob-O...your avatar is of that IDIOT O'Reilly fake playing the guitar?!?!?....

In the immortal words of the great Hank Hill...

"GOT DANG IT, that's it, I'm gonna kick your ass!"

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 17th, '18, 21:23

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 17th, '18, 15:23 Also...Bob-O...your avatar is of that IDIOT O'Reilly fake playing the guitar?!?!?....
Haha, ya know, it's a funny thing...

I went on a huge rant about Kyle a few months ago, and I don't know if I just got used to him through over-anylizing him, but the dude won me over. It was the TakeOver where Roddy turned, Cole was beat to shit after winning the ladder match then had to pull double duty as Kyle's partner, and was basically worthless. O'Reilly was like, "Welp... ok, I'm gonna get my ass kicked, but let's do this!" There was a point WELL into that match that Kyle made a comeback, and given the circumstances, I found myself marking out in the moment, and I've seen him in a different light ever since. Subtle little heel things he does crack me up now... playing the belt like a guitar, every selfie promo they do he tries to get Roddy to do the UE hand thing (knowing damn well one of his hands is holding the phone), pronouncing people's names wrong, using finger quotes when talking about cities they're going to ("...and who are we fighting in... "Ocalla"...?), the dude cracks me up.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 18th, '18, 00:47