BRM Reviews the 6/13/2018 NXT (DUNNE VS. O'REILLY!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/13/2018 NXT (DUNNE VS. O'REILLY!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 15th, '18, 15:07

WAR RAIDERS vs. JUSTIN STORM & RICKY MARTINEZ- squash
They sent a message to TM61 after the match by calling them out and then hitting one of the jobbers with a move after the match was over.

CIAMPA VS. GARGANO VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

EC III vs. KASSIUS OHNO- 6/10
Ethan got the win and the announcers pushed it as “another big loss for Ohno.”

BIANCA BELAIR vs. ALIYAH- no rating, fun squash
Percy Watson claimed that Aliyah’s new best friend is Donatella Versace, so I guess she’s gotten another gimmick change? Either way, she didn’t embarrass herself, so that’s a step up for her. Bianca squashed her.

CATHY KELLY INTERVIEWS DAKOTA KAI- She’s so happy with herself for standing up to Shayna and is certain that she could win if she had another match against Shayna. Yeah, right.
Thankfully, Bianca Belair showed up and verbally obliterated her. Dakota vows to not let Bianca scare her like Shayna did.

WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!

WWE UK TITLE MATCH: Pete Dunne(c) vs. Kyle O’Reilly- 8.75/10
This was one hell of a hard-hitting match, with some great limb-work and mat wrestling to boot. I thought the way they set up the finger-breaking spot was genius. Much better than the usual. I wasn’t wild about Dunne fighting spirit-ing out of an axe-kick, but I think maybe it’s the sort of thing that would have worked better if we had been able to see his facial expression when he did it.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- great!
Cole & Strong came out and attacked Dunne so Burch & Lorcan made the save. Cole and Dunne brawled away, leaving the tag title match competitors in the ring so they could brawl in the spotlight, with the challengers leaving the champs laying. Great final build to Takeover.

ALEISTER BLACK PROMO- he says that he’ll retain his title at Takeover even if Sullivan can block Black Mass. Sullivan then came out and they brawled, with Sullivan eventually nailing a big lariat to cut Black off, then obliterating him. He laid Black out on the announcers’ table, then posed over him with the belt. More good build to Takeover.

An EXCELLENT go-home show from NXT, with one hell of a title match on this show and some good squashes as well. I’m not sure what else I could have asked for here.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/13/2018 NXT (DUNNE VS. O'REILLY!)

Post by Bob-O » Jun 15th, '18, 19:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 15th, '18, 15:07 WAR RAIDERS vs. JUSTIN STORM & RICKY MARTINEZ- squash
They sent a message to TM61 after the match by calling them out and then hitting one of the jobbers with a move after the match was over.
-They seem to be figuring War Raiders out for WWE Production, which is nice. They looked more polished here, the presentation was smoother, and the crowd seemed more into it than recent weeks.

-How in the hell is it legal for them to both pin a guy at the same time? I get it's a "pose thing", but it's essentially two guys making the cover on top of one another.

-I'm NOT digging the TM61 thing, unless they drag it out. I know I've been looking for some credible opponents for War Raiders, but man... TM61 JUST turned heel, and I thought it was going really well... I'm really hoping they didn't do it to be fed to the War Raiders...
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 15th, '18, 15:07 BIANCA BELAIR vs. ALIYAH- no rating, fun squash
How can you call it a "fun" squash when there was no Hair Whip!? Of all the crazy stuff Bianca does, the hair whip thing is by far the coolest! But honestly, I couldn't get past the blue lips... she looked ridiculous.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 15th, '18, 15:07 EC III vs. KASSIUS OHNO- 6/10
Ethan got the win and the announcers pushed it as “another big loss for Ohno.”

Ohno got new gear though! It's a good sign! I loved the cocky exchange they had before the bell, stuff like that is why I've got high hopes for EC3 on the main roster.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 15th, '18, 15:07 ALEISTER BLACK PROMO- he says that he’ll retain his title at Takeover even if Sullivan can block Black Mass. Sullivan then came out and they brawled, with Sullivan eventually nailing a big lariat to cut Black off, then obliterating him. He laid Black out on the announcers’ table, then posed over him with the belt. More good build to Takeover.
Agree to disagree. I thought this was terrible build, it's not like Aleister's been jumped or had a disadvantage in either of their squabbles the last two weeks. This one in particular was basically a match without a bell! The right answer was for Aleister to hit Fade To Black last week, and have Sullivan catch it this week and then obliterate him. It doesn't look like Aleister, the babyface champ, stands a chance. The last two weeks have made Black to look like Dakota Kai without the trembling and whining...

The ONLY saving grace was that earlier in the show they promoted Black and Ricochet vs EC3 and Velveteen Dream for a house show later this summer. Kinda points toward Black "finding a way to win" and moving on to EC3 which I'm kinda psyched about.