BRM Reviews the 5/2/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/2/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '18, 10:24

UNDISPUTED ERA PROMO- awesome stuff to build up tonight’s Roddy vs. Dunne feud as well as the budding Cole vs. Lorcan rivalry.

So Nigel was back from paternity leave last night on 205 Live but he’s back on it tonight on NXT? I wish his wife a speedy recover from whatever kayfabe medical issue his wife is going through that required him to return home so quickly.

KAIRI SANE vs. SHAZZA MCKENZIE- fine squash, but I’d like to see Kairi doing more than this.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Lacey Evans came out and put Kairi over and offered her a handshake but then attacked her.

CANDICE LERAE PROMO- fine
Candice was very sad that Ciampa attacked Johnny even though this was all supposed to be over now. She was very believably flustered. The announcers pushed that this might cause her problems in her match against Bianca Belair tonight.

LARS SULLIVAN VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME!

THE STREET PROFITS vs. TM61- 5/10
The match was fine for the time it got, but the interesting part if TM61 using illegal leverage to win, signifying a heel turn for them… which they probably need after yet another Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic failure.

WAR RAIDERS VS. HEAVY MACHINERY VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!
They’re facing off next week.

CATHEY KELLY INTERVIEWS KASSIUS OHNO- he is asked about the Ciampa vs. Gargano situation. He wants to make Ciampa pay for beating up Gargano, who is apparently a good friend of his

KONA REEVES vs. PATRICK SCOTT- squash
Reeves didn’t look particularly impressive.

ECIII VIDEO PACKAGE- good

DAKOTA KAI PRESS CONDERENCE- great!
She puts over the NXT women who have moved up to the main roster. She gets asked about Shayna Baszler and says she doesn’t want to talk about it. Vanessa Bourne showed up and cut a great promo burying Dakota for being a wimp and saying that if it were her should would have slapped Baszler in the face because she’s not afraid of Shayna Baszler and she’s not afraid of Dakota Kai, either. She walked off, and Dakota said she’s not afraid of Bourne. They furthered Kai vs. Baszler by doing something that now gives Dakota more incentive to stand up for herself as well as set up two matches for the future and established Bourne’s character, all in one segment.

BIANCA BELAIR vs. CANDICE LERAE- 2/10
Mauro says they have no update on Johnny Gargano’s condition. Really? It’s been a whole week!
Belair dominated pretty much the entire match and won. This was intended to push the idea that Candice can’t concentrate because of Johnny’s injuries. I’m not saying this was bad, but it’s be nice if Candice could get some sort of storyline that didn’t revolve around her husband.

PETE DUNNE vs. RODERICK STRONG (w/Undisputed Era)- 6.75/10
They were having a very good match until Undisputed Era ran in for the DQ when Roddy was about to get pinned. Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch ran out to save Dunne from a beat-down.

This was a very storyline-focused episode of NXT, with almost everything serving to advance various plots. Shows like this aren’t blow-away, but they are necessary. A fine episode of NXT.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/2/2018 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '18, 18:55

O'Reilly's an idiot lol.

He looks so perpetually young.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 3rd, '18, 19:42

Reeves is horrible.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 4th, '18, 07:19

KILLdozer wrote: May 3rd, '18, 19:42 Reeves is horrible.
I agree. Here's hoping he develops in developmental, because it was so bad I was uncomfortable. He's "returning"? I don't remember ever seeing him? Was he this bad before?
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '18, 10:24 DAKOTA KAI PRESS CONDERENCE- great!
She puts over the NXT women who have moved up to the main roster. She gets asked about Shayna Baszler and says she doesn’t want to talk about it. Vanessa Bourne showed up and cut a great promo burying Dakota for being a wimp and saying that if it were her should would have slapped Baszler in the face because she’s not afraid of Shayna Baszler and she’s not afraid of Dakota Kai, either. She walked off, and Dakota said she’s not afraid of Bourne. They furthered Kai vs. Baszler by doing something that now gives Dakota more incentive to stand up for herself as well as set up two matches for the future and established Bourne’s character, all in one segment.
All's good so long as Baszler follows up with Vanessa Bourne.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '18, 10:24 THE STREET PROFITS vs. TM61- 5/10
Hot on the tails of the War Machine/Raiders debate, anyone know the story behind TM61? What's the 61 stand for? What was wrong with "dk"? Their gear this week said The Mighty Don't Kneel, and they came to the ring with numbered vests - neither of which were 61. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember noting that they were each one number off of one that would make sense which bothered me further.

The heel turn is great for them, looking forward to it, except I was REALLY hoping for a TM61/Undisputed Era feud over the belts...
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '18, 10:24 HEAVY MACHINERY VIDEO PACKAGE
I freakin' love Heavy Machinery! Dozovich doesn't have much of a future beyond a comedy role, but he's such a throwback to Saturday Morning Superstars, it makes me smile. They haven't had anyone like that in a long time!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '18, 07:53

Bob-O wrote: May 4th, '18, 07:19
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '18, 10:24 THE STREET PROFITS vs. TM61- 5/10
Hot on the tails of the War Machine/Raiders debate, anyone know the story behind TM61? What's the 61 stand for? What was wrong with "dk"? Their gear this week said The Mighty Don't Kneel, and they came to the ring with numbered vests - neither of which were 61. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember noting that they were each one number off of one that would make sense which bothered me further.

The heel turn is great for them, looking forward to it, except I was REALLY hoping for a TM61/Undisputed Era feud over the belts...
I do not believe it has ever been explained. It is made even more odd by the fact that they have kept "we are the mighty, and the mighty don't kneel" as a catchphrase.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3