BRM Reviews the 1/24/2018 NXT (great!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/24/2018 NXT (great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 26th, '18, 08:26

VELVETEEN DREAM PROMO- good. I thought the whizzing purple smoke would wind up looking lame when there was a lot it but it wound up remaining kind of cool.

NO WAY JOSE vs. CEZAR BONONI- 4.5/10

ADAM COLE-ALEISTER BLACK VIDEO PACKAGE- excellent!

BIANCA BELAIR vs. LATOYA- fun squash.
I totally marked out for the reverse powerbomb.

EMBER MOON & SHAYNA BASZLER SIT-DOWN INTERVIEW WITH PERCY WATSON- meh
I usually like Ember’s stuff, but she definitely felt overly-scripted to me here, whereas I’m usually fine with it.

TM61 VIDEO PACKAGE PART 2- good

Nikki Cross was one of the women Lacey Evans ran down in her promo last week, so next week they’re having a match on TV. Hooray for basic promoting logic, which is all too rare in wrestling nowadays.

THE AUTHORS OF PAIN (w/Paul Ellering) vs. DAMIEN SMITH & CHASE BROWN- no rating, entertaining double-homicide.
I assume the Chase Brown in question is “Cauliflower F*cker” Chase Brown who sometimes works for ROH because Delirious is a bad booker, so this pre-match assault is totally justified. Then at least one of the Authors cut a promo that was one quarter in English and three quarters in his native tongue. I didn’t even understand the words of most of the English part, but I certainly understood that at Takeover, reDRagon are in for a world of hurt.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Johnny Gargano vs. Velveteen Dream- 8/10
Awesome match. Gargano won, but I was actually expecting a double-finish here because that would both create a story about Gargano’s self-doubt while also adding Dream to the title match so that if/when the rumored Ciampa return happens he can cost Gargano the match and take him out of it while still allowing us to go to a more clean finish between Dream and Almas. And speaking of Almas…

ANDRADE “CIEN” ALMAS COMES OUT TO BRAWL WITH GARGANO- he beats the weakened Johnny Wrestling up and tosses him out of the ring. He stopped to pose with the belt while Gargano climbed back up onto the apron. He went for a shot with the title belt but Gargano hit him with an enzugiri and took him out, closing out our go-home show with the challenger standing tall.

A great show from NXT, both as a go-home show and as a solid show on its own.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/24/2018 NXT (great!)

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 27th, '18, 07:23

Lacey Evans. Lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.