BRM Reviews the 1/17/2018 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/17/2018 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 19th, '18, 07:10

HEAVY MACHINERY vs. RIDDICK MOSS & TINO SABBATELLI- 3.5/10
A short fun match until those dastardly heels cheated to win. Nigel’s commentary was excellent.

UNDISPUTED ERA PROMO- Excellent promo by Cole, and a good one by Kyle and Bobby as well, but I DESPISE this “moving camera” gimmick.” They already have their little backing music to make their promos different. Not only is the moving camera annoying, but when combined with the backing music, it gives these promos something of an n.W.o. feel, which, while I’m sure is intentional, makes them feel second-rate IMO.

ALEISTER BLACK VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

FABIAN AICHNER vs. RODERICK STRONG- 5/10
Roddy works the back and wins. Aichner is very good in these short matches, but I’d like to see how he fares in something longer.

RODDY PROMO- he wants a match with Lars Sullivan.

TM61 VIDEO PACKAGE- EXCELLENT!
Also, Sara Del Rey sighting!

ALIYAH vs. LACEY EVANS- 2.25/10
If that story Nigel told about Lacey’s parents giving her and her five sisters all rhyming names is true, that is just horrible (I know her shoot name isn’t Lacey, but it is “Macey,” which, along with Lacey, was one of the names Nigel listed). Lacey was supposed to be the heel, but she’s wrestling Aliyah so I don’t really think that’s possible. I laughed my ass off when Lacey pinned her with a punch to the face.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Lacey began to cut a promo about how most of the other women are “low-class trash” as opposed to “a sophisticated, empowered woman” like herself. She called out a few different women like Ember Moon, Kairi Sane, and Nikki Cross but instead Shayna Baszler came out. Lacey ran away so Baszler went to murder Aliyah instead. I giggled profusely at Aliyah getting choked out because Aliyah is terrible. Ember Moon came out to make the save.
Ember wanted a match but Baszler said she’d only do it if the title was on the line and suggested that such a match take place at Takeover. Ember needs to ditch the colorful hair and colorful gear. It’s way too over the top.

WILLIAM REGAL MAKES EMBER VS. BASZLER FOR THE TITLE OFFICIAL- hooray.

ZELINA VEGA & WILLIAM REGAL SEGMENT- good
Vega lists several reasons why she thinks Gargano has no chance and suggests that The Velveteen Dream had a good point last week and that Gargano should put his title shot on the line against him. Regal says no. Vega vows that Gargano will be humiliated at Takeover.

NO WAY JOSE PROMO- he says that his “Conga line to the top” will start next week.

JOHNNY GARGANO- awesome babyface promo.
Basically he saw the previous segment and vows to silence the doubters… and that includes putting his title shot on the line against The Velveteen Dream next week.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: The Street Profits vs. The Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering)- 5.5/10
The crowd was into the Street Profits, but I don’t think anyone thought they really stood a chance.

A fine show from NXT, getting several matches for Takeover either on the books or at least set up as we head into next week’s go-home show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3