BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: War Games (AMAZING!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: War Games (AMAZING!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '17, 03:06

NXT Takeover: War Games (11/18/2017)- Houston, TX

KASSIUS OHNO vs. LARS SULLIVAN- 5.75/10
This was a fun slugfest, but I think we all knew that it was really just going to be a showcase for Sullivan. It was perfectly fine for what it was.

Hey assholes in the crowd: if you wanted to chant “SWEET!” after every two count, why didn’t you buy yourselves a bus ticket to Dallas and got to the ROH show instead? You know… the show the Young Bucks are actually ON!?

ALEISTER BLACK vs. THE VELVETEEN DREAM- 8.75/10
Oh my freakin’ G-d this match was AWESOME! The action, the selling, the use of guys getting tied in the ropes playing into the build-up for this feud, and OH MY G-D THE INTENSITY! Even The Velveteen Dream’s special tights. Black won, but afterwards grabbed a mic and said “enjoy living in infamy, Velveteen Dream,” which I saw as a sign of respect on Black’s part, as he finally did what Dream has been wanting and said his name.

FATAL FOUR-WAY MATCH FOR THE VACANT NXT WOMEN’S TITLE: Peyton Royce vs. Kairi Sane vs. Nikki Cross vs. Ember Moon- 8/10
I’m pretty sure Raymond Rowe lives in Texas, and I’m pretty sure Ember Moon broke into his house and stole his entrance gear. This was an awesome four-way in which they did a great job of never letting you forget it was a four-way. This was a match where you could tell a lot of it was choreographed rather than called on the fly, but as a fan I really don’t care either way. What I do care about is that if you do choreograph things, you take the approach that these women took here by going for complicated and exciting sequences that still seem natural rather than stuff like mirror image spots or “everyone takes a turn missing a moonsault” or “stand in a circle and everyone takes a turn punching the wrestler to their right.”
Ember Moon won the match, finally winning the title here in her home state. This came off like exactly the type of huge moment it should have, and Asuka being there to present the belt to her added an extra dimension to this as well.

NXT TITLE MATCH: Drew McIntyre(c) vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas (w/Zelena Vega)- 8.5/10
A great babyface vs. heel match full of big moves with an excellent pace, they built and built until an absolutely CRAZY finish. Almas picked up the win here in quite the big upset, but I think it was definitely the right move. Drew doesn’t really even need to be in NXT, and Almas was at a point where a win would have solidified him as a main eventer but a loss would have felt like him being shoved back down to the midcard again, which was something he really couldn’t afford after the major false start that was his first year in NXT.

WAR GAMES MATCH: The Undisputed Era vs. SAnitY vs. Roderick Strong & the Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering)- 9.25/10
Yup. This was definitely a “war.” They really made me believe the hype that this is a match that changes lives and shortens careers, and that’s not an easy expectation to live up to when you push things as hard as WWE does. Just about the only flaw in the match is that the finish didn’t really feel like a peak when compared to the stuff that had come soon before it. That and the part where Killian Dain swallowed the key to the cage. That was stupid.

This was yet another OUTSTANDING Takeover show from NXT, and in a normal year would probably be a strong contender for Show of the Year. Unfortunately 2017 has not been a normal year. But that doesn’t take anything away from this show. Drop what you’re doing and watch this show now.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Mauro Ranallo- “Lars Sullivan just treated Kassius Ohno like Apple software treated the letter “i.”
What does that even mean, exactly?

2. Mauro Ranallo also claimed that being in a War Games match “changes people’s DNA.”
Did I miss the part where they coated the canvass with the ooze from Ninja Turtles?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: War Games (AMAZING!)

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 19th, '17, 12:11

I'm just glad Peyton Royce didn't win.

They've been in NXT for waaaaaayyyy too long, and why is that legitimately anyway?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 19th, '17, 12:22

Less than impressed from what I've just seen with Sullivan. I KNEW that dude wouldn't be able to that modified side slam on a bigger, average sized guy lol. He struggled to even get him off the ground the first time but they made up for it immediately afterwards, and that pop up Powerslam?

No way, lol he could barely handle him!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 22nd, '17, 11:21

I haven't been watching every week, but it looks like Ohno's dropping weight, which is awesome! The last time I saw him on nxt (a few tapings back) I was wondering wtf they were thinking bringing him back, he looked like a slob - the dude just doesn't carry weight well. I was almost sad for him, like I'm sad when I see guys wrestling the indies that should be retired, he just seemed out of place. Not so much on this show, though! Good on him!
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '17, 03:06 Almas picked up the win here in quite the big upset
I'll say, I went in to this spoiler free, and it dropped my jaw. Vega is phenominal in her role, she gives me goosebumps. I really hope they keep this romance free, and see how far these two can go. But, I didn't feel like it was time for Drew to drop the belt, that's what got me here. He carried himself well as champion, but his reign didn't exactly back it up. He got beat down a lot.. which says something, I guess since it was all from behind, but I never felt like he ever got his recipts...
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '17, 03:06 STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Mauro Ranallo- “Lars Sullivan just treated Kassius Ohno like Apple software treated the letter “i.”
What does that even mean, exactly?

2. Mauro Ranallo also claimed that being in a War Games match “changes people’s DNA.”
Did I miss the part where they coated the canvass with the ooze from Ninja Turtles?
Between him and Percy Watson, Nigel's the only reason I don't mute the TV for these shows. Not that Percy's terrible, but his eyes are too far apart and hearing his voice reminds me of that.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 22nd, '17, 15:03

Bob-O wrote: Nov 22nd, '17, 11:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '17, 03:06 Almas picked up the win here in quite the big upset
I'll say, I went in to this spoiler free, and it dropped my jaw. Vega is phenominal in her role, she gives me goosebumps. I really hope they keep this romance free, and see how far these two can go.
i believe they're supposed to be cousins, but then again, Vinny still has that incest angle in his bottom drawer, ready to undust.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 22nd, '17, 23:33

cero2k wrote: Nov 22nd, '17, 15:03
Bob-O wrote: Nov 22nd, '17, 11:21
I'll say, I went in to this spoiler free, and it dropped my jaw. Vega is phenominal in her role, she gives me goosebumps. I really hope they keep this romance free, and see how far these two can go.
i believe they're supposed to be cousins, but then again, Vinny still has that incest angle in his bottom drawer, ready to undust.
I thought someone said they were supposed to be siblings, but either way, I'm pretty certain nothing has been established on television yet.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3