BRM Reviews the 11/8/2017 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/8/2017 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 10th, '17, 01:03

HEAVY MACHINERY vs. CHRIS PAYNE & SEAN MALUTA- squash
Heavy Machinery seem to have developed fun-living personalities. I hate it. It just seems so wrong for them. They also seem to trying to be more of a PBK-style “shockingly athletic for big fat guys” team rather than the mean monsters they had been before.

CHRISTY ST. CLOUD INTERVIEWS EMBER MOON- She says that she’ll prove to Mercedes Martinez that she can win in a big match by beating Mercedes next week.

KAIRI SANE vs. BILLIE KAY (w/Peyton Royce)- 4/10

WILLIAM REGAL & KASSIUS OHNO IN REGAL’S OFFICE- I made a comment recently about how every time we see a main roster GM, they’re always futzing around on their phone or talking to someone who they are apparently trying to convince to tune in to the show and it comes off as dumb and phony, like these guys don’t have anything to do but f*ck around on their phones until a wrestling comes to them with a problem, while Regal is always doing paperwork or making a big announcement about the show- stuff that makes it feel like being the GM is a real job. Well this time we saw Regal on his phone… but he was checking in with the graphics department about the graphics for Takeover, because, again, the writers for NXT realize that in order to make this feel real, the boss needs to feel like he has a real job, not like he’s a TV character waiting for his scenes.
Kassius Ohno showed up and said that he wants to get back in the NXT Title picture, so he wants to challenge Lars Sullivan to a match at Takeover get himself into contention. Regal happily books the match. Speaking of being happy, Ohno was wearing a Cesaro shirt from back when Cesaro was managed by Zeb Coulter. That made me happy.

WAR GAMES VIDEO PACKAGE- this didn’t excite me much at all. It also all but broke kayfabe when talking about Dusty.

ANDRADE ALMAS & ZELENA VEGA SIT-DOWN INTERVIEW- good

THE VELVETEEN DREAM vs. CEZAR BONONI- squash
Why, of all of the people available, would you send Bononi out here to get squashed when they’ve done such a good job of framing him as “upset victory guy?”

VELVETEEN DREAM PROMO- fine
RUBY RIOT INJURY UPDATE- good
Major props are due to Nigel McGuinness for his simple framing of this, which simultaneously put Sonya over as dangerous and Ruby over as extremely tough and driven. Then we got the comments between the two women in the trainer’s room which led to a challenge for a match in a few weeks, which was also pretty good.

STREET PROPHETS PROMO- Tino & Moss aren’t wrong here. The Street Prophets really shouldn’t be touching their stuff! Also, all of that zooming and shaking with the camera were nauseating. These teams are having a match at some point in the next few weeks.

RODERICK STRONG vs. ADAM COLE- 7.25/10
This was a match that I think everyone knew was going to end in Cole getting DQed then leading to a schmoz, and while expecting it would normally dampen the disappointment, but in this case the DQ came just as the match was about to hit that next level.

POST-MATCH SCHMOZ- good for what it was.

A good show from NXT, though the disappointing DQ in the main event definitely brings it down a bit. The build to Takeover has been quite good.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3