BRM Reviews the 9/20/2017 NXT (awesome)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/20/2017 NXT (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '17, 01:41

MOSS & SABBITELLI PROMO FROM AFTER LAST WEEK’S LOSS- good set-up for this match.

JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TINO SABBITELLI (w/Riddick Moss)- 4/10
The same general layout as Gargano’s match with Moss last week, but not as good.

RODDY TELLS REGAL HE WANTS A TITLE SHOT- he gives valid reasons for why he should be given one, so Regal agrees to give him a title shot in two weeks.

SONAY DEVILLE PROMO- she claimed that she could have beaten Asuka. This was a good heel promo.

LACEY EVANS vs. BIANCA BELAIR- 6/10
This was GREAT for the time it got. They tried some really cool, athletic stuff. Go watch this one.

ALEISTER BLACK SPEAKS- I didn’t like this. His promo was good, but it just didn’t seem like something that this dark, brooding man should be saying. The Velveteen Dream came out to interrupt him and cut what I can only describe as a Bray Wyatt promo on him. Black Black Mass-ed the microphone out of his hand. At least that was cool. Then The Velveteen Dream did a Goldust rip-off routine and apparently this is going to be a feud now. Yuck.

DAKOTA KAI PROMO- fine

LARS SULLIVAN vs. NO WAY JOSE- no rating, fun squash-esque match.

TRENT SEVEN & TYLER BATE vs. BOBBY FISH & KYLE O’REILLY (w/Adam Cole)- 8/10
Heels win, then Drew McIntyre shows up and they retreat. Then SAnitY show up behind them, wait for them to turn around and then beat up Cole, Fish, & O’Reilly.

An awesome episode of NXT!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/20/2017 NXT (awesome)

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 1st, '19, 23:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 26th, '17, 01:41 ALEISTER BLACK SPEAKS- I didn’t like this. His promo was good, but it just didn’t seem like something that this dark, brooding man should be saying. The Velveteen Dream came out to interrupt him and cut what I can only describe as a Bray Wyatt promo on him. Black Black Mass-ed the microphone out of his hand. At least that was cool. Then The Velveteen Dream did a Goldust rip-off routine and apparently this is going to be a feud now. Yuck.
I'm totally necro-ing this because I've rewatched it recently... And I came back here to see what you thought about TVD's promo... And I'm glad that you didn't like it as much as I didn't like it. From a writing perspective, it wasn't awful, but I think there just needed to be a bit more information in it to make sense. Something like, hiding behind tattoos because he doesn't want people to know who he really is, having this mysterious personality to keep people from getting close to him, etc., because he'd been hurt in his past... That's the kind of thing that would have made this make sense, but knowing where this feud goes, it just felt to me like TVD picked Black almost at random and said "Hey, validate me!"

AND, I can't get over how he tries deliberately to be weird and overtly sexy, it still just feels awkward to me, like he's trying too hard. I don't really have anything wrong with the character, but I would have done something differently with him... Don't know what that would have been, but something! :P

I'm not even sorry for necro-ing your post.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 6th, '19, 00:35

Wtf is this shit?!?!?!?

My phone also auto-typed..."Wtf is this shit"...says a lot.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 6th, '19, 00:41

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 00:35 Wtf is this shit?!?!?!?

It's called "adding to the discussion." You should try it sometime.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 6th, '19, 10:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 00:41

I should try kickin' your ass too sometime lol...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 6th, '19, 11:17

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 10:47

@Dozer: Weak comeback, a threat of violence only exposes the lack of counter arguments.
@BRM: Don't feed the trolls
@Seru: What are you talking about!? TVD's 'sexiness' is awesome, aside from Sonny Kiss (who I think is just being natural), TVD's acting seems the least forced when it comes to this type of gimmick.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 6th, '19, 11:51

I was moreso wandering where this post from years ago suddenly came from lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 6th, '19, 12:22

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 11:51 I was moreso wandering where this post from years ago suddenly came from lol.
Seru barely started watching NXT. Kinda like when you started watching LU seasons late.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 6th, '19, 12:23

cero2k wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 12:22
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 11:51 I was moreso wandering where this post from years ago suddenly came from lol.
Seru barely started watching NXT. Kinda like when you started watching LU seasons late.
I still haven't finished that. The only platform it's on now is Amazon...and they charge you each episode...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 6th, '19, 12:31

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 12:23
I still haven't finished that. The only platform it's on now is Amazon...and they charge you each episode...
it's already off Netflix and iTunes? I know the DVDs are out, so i'm sure they're available as HDrips somewhere in the shady parts of the intenet

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 6th, '19, 12:46

cero2k wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 12:31

it's already off Netflix and iTunes? I know the DVDs are out, so i'm sure they're available as HDrips somewhere in the shady parts of the intenet
Netflix never got the new seasons past 2.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 6th, '19, 18:11

cero2k wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 11:17
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 6th, '19, 10:47
@Dozer: Weak comeback, a threat of violence only exposes the lack of counter arguments.
@BRM: Don't feed the trolls
@Seru: What are you talking about!? TVD's 'sexiness' is awesome, aside from Sonny Kiss (who I think is just being natural), TVD's acting seems the least forced when it comes to this type of gimmick.
I don’t think his performance is forced. Actually, his delivery is so perfect that he may be winning me over on that alone- I did a poor job of explaining in my first post. It’s the content that seems try hard to me. I’m all for weird gimmicks, I mean, I’m a Jeff Hardy fan, but I dunno, something about TVD just doesn’t do it for me.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 6th, '19, 18:15

That’s unfortunate, I was thinking about going that route next. I’ll be honest though, since I started watching NXT, it’s basixally all I want to watch for wrestling now. Everything on the main roster feels like the minor leagues compared to the more complete and fleshed our characters of NXT. And having competent storytelling! I legitimately didn’t realize how much of a difference that made in wrestling because it’s been so long since WWE has done it so well.

And freaking Johnny Gargano!

NXT is the best.