What really grinds my gears.... NXT

XIV

What really grinds my gears.... NXT

Post by XIV » Aug 24th, '17, 05:09

Have you watched post Takeover episodes of NXT? My word, they are terrible. Half recap of the Takeover, some good matches BUT no initial fallout from the Takeover at all.

Looking at the most recent episode, naturally I loved the Main Event. (Although why Tyler Bate is eating a pin from Wolfgang is beyond me).

However, everything else about the show was annoying, I understand having a recap. But they've recapped it at the beginning and constantly throughout the show.

Yes, I've become used to a format where the title changes hands and the new champion and some fallout from the PPV happens on the next episode to build what comes next, but NXT do not offer that. Go-Home shows and Fallout shows are the bread and butter of your monthly TV. And these filler episodes I just dramatically annoying. In fact, it really grinds my gears.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Re: What really grinds my gears.... NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '17, 07:32

I think they do a fine job with it. When else are they going to tape unless they go live on Wednesday night, which would be a high additional cost?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '17, 08:17

Yeah it's not that different than a usual show really, ppv recaps are always part of the next show, other than some people I don't wanna see-Iconic and all of the UK dudes.... it's just never really stood out to me because they've never really put a whole lot of effort into it at all, I pretty much forgot there was a UK title, -it was about the usual .
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '17, 09:43

i agree with XIV, and it's not the recapping that bothers me, it's the lack of follow up, it's the same thing I kept complaining about ROH that eventually got in my nerves enough to quit watching the TV show. Now when it comes to cost of doing the first show of tapings live, this is WWE, they have millions of dollars, zero pitty. Even Impact goes semi-live every first show of tapings.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '17, 11:02

cero2k wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 09:43 i agree with XIV, and it's not the recapping that bothers me, it's the lack of follow up, it's the same thing I kept complaining about ROH that eventually got in my nerves enough to quit watching the TV show. Now when it comes to cost of doing the first show of tapings live, this is WWE, they have millions of dollars, zero pitty. Even Impact goes semi-live every first show of tapings.
I haven't seen this week's show yet, but I think that, in general, NXT does follow-up well. If I might be permitted to get on a bit of a soapbox for a moment:
I think a lot of fans nowadays just don't realize that all you need to follow up is an interview where guys express their feelings about what just occurred. The monthly PPV cycle makes promotions feel that they have to move very fast and the Monday Night War created situation where promotions felt it was imperative to get their biggest stars on TV as often as possible. As a result, WWE almost always has their top guys do a talking segment and wrestle a match on every show, when they could easily have only had the wrestler in question do one or the other to push the story- except that they've forgotten how to push stories without some sort of mutual confrontation, be it physical or verbal (this has also led to matches getting worn out and tired well before the PPV encounter comes, but that's another story). This has created certain expectations from fans for what other promotions need to do, except that those promotions aren't in situations where those expectations should apply (who else in North America does monthly PPVs side from WWE?), and following them is detrimental to the product (for a case in point, look at TNA in when they cut their PPVs back to quarterly but instead of booking for this style they tried to book a monthly PPV-style supercard on Impact that never worked because they had one less week of build and one less hour for all of the matches).
All NXT needs to do to follow up on their PPVs is give you some interviews to show you where the PPV winners and losers are emotionally coming out of their PPVs- to set the tone for the next set of stories being told. Take that and throw in some action taped before the PPV (but hopefully featuring someone they do want to push going into the next one, or at least the next big non-PPV title shot) and that's all they need.
The issue with ROH was that their TV taping scheduling was so poor that it took them forever to get to new material when (especially if they're taping TV the night after the PPV) there is no excuse for them to not be able to turn it around and have the first post-taping show ready by the Friday after the PPV..
TNA has the benefit of being able to go live for their first PPV show, so they should book a more traditional post-PPV show (and in their current state I'd argue that they need to be making a special effort to make these shows even more exciting than a usual post-PPV Raw should be. TNA's need to be both exciting and lay groundwork, rather than just lay groundwork).

I'll hopefully have some more thoughts tonight after I watch NXT.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '17, 11:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 11:02
cero2k wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 09:43 i agree with XIV, and it's not the recapping that bothers me, it's the lack of follow up, it's the same thing I kept complaining about ROH that eventually got in my nerves enough to quit watching the TV show. Now when it comes to cost of doing the first show of tapings live, this is WWE, they have millions of dollars, zero pitty. Even Impact goes semi-live every first show of tapings.
I haven't seen this week's show yet, but I think that, in general, NXT does follow-up well. If I might be permitted to get on a bit of a soapbox for a moment:
I think a lot of fans nowadays just don't realize that all you need to follow up is an interview where guys express their feelings about what just occurred. The monthly PPV cycle makes promotions feel that they have to move very fast and the Monday Night War created situation where promotions felt it was imperative to get their biggest stars on TV as often as possible. As a result, WWE almost always has their top guys do a talking segment and wrestle a match on every show, when they could easily have only had the wrestler in question do one or the other to push the story- except that they've forgotten how to push stories without some sort of mutual confrontation, be it physical or verbal (this has also led to matches getting worn out and tired well before the PPV encounter comes, but that's another story). This has created certain expectations from fans for what other promotions need to do, except that those promotions aren't in situations where those expectations should apply (who else in North America does monthly PPVs side from WWE?), and following them is detrimental to the product (for a case in point, look at TNA in when they cut their PPVs back to quarterly but instead of booking for this style they tried to book a monthly PPV-style supercard on Impact that never worked because they had one less week of build and one less hour for all of the matches).
All NXT needs to do to follow up on their PPVs is give you some interviews to show you where the PPV winners and losers are emotionally coming out of their PPVs- to set the tone for the next set of stories being told. Take that and throw in some action taped before the PPV (but hopefully featuring someone they do want to push going into the next one, or at least the next big non-PPV title shot) and that's all they need.
The issue with ROH was that their TV taping scheduling was so poor that it took them forever to get to new material when (especially if they're taping TV the night after the PPV) there is no excuse for them to not be able to turn it around and have the first post-taping show ready by the Friday after the PPV..
TNA has the benefit of being able to go live for their first PPV show, so they should book a more traditional post-PPV show (and in their current state I'd argue that they need to be making a special effort to make these shows even more exciting than a usual post-PPV Raw should be. TNA's need to be both exciting and lay groundwork, rather than just lay groundwork).

i don't disagree with the overall point, but for the most part, all the follow up we tend to see if backstage post-match interviews, which are perfectly ok for a Gargano or an Ember Moon that don't really need to say much or have finished their programs. To me it's the big angles that don't get addressed that annoy me. I don't want to spoil the show for you, but if Owens debuts and betrays Zayn in the same night, that is the thing that fans want to see on the very next NXT show.

The time between Takeover and takeover is so long that I don't really need the post-ppv shows to be full of storylines or anything, but i think big angles should always be addressed.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '17, 11:30

cero2k wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 11:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 11:02

i don't disagree with the overall point, but for the most part, all the follow up we tend to see if backstage post-match interviews, which are perfectly ok for a Gargano or an Ember Moon that don't really need to say much or have finished their programs. To me it's the big angles that don't get addressed that annoy me. I don't want to spoil the show for you, but if Owens debuts and betrays Zayn in the same night, that is the thing that fans want to see on the very next NXT show.

The time between Takeover and takeover is so long that I don't really need the post-ppv shows to be full of storylines or anything, but i think big angles should always be addressed.
Still haven't seen the show yet, but if you're trying to say that they don't have any follow-up at all on FutureDRagon attacking people, that's not good. There is no excuse to not do interviews with someone- I would have FututreDRagon the first week so they can explain why they came together (and who they are, for people who don't watch the indies), and then the babyfaces can go next week, although I'd prefer at least the AOP to talk this week as well.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '17, 13:07

I'll just say somewhat on topic, as I guess they missed this week because of the attack, but Sanity V these Red Dragons, could be an interesting clash. Th Aops Idrc about, they just don't interest me because they don't have much going for them except Ellering saying, book of pain, book of destruction. I'll say it again-I know they're probably Samoan or something similar, but they really need more muscle mass, really get ripped.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '17, 14:35

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 13:07 I'll just say somewhat on topic, as I guess they missed this week because of the attack, but Sanity V these Red Dragons, could be an interesting clash. Th Aops Idrc about, they just don't interest me because they don't have much going for them except Ellering saying, book of pain, book of destruction. I'll say it again-I know they're probably Samoan or something similar, but they really need more muscle mass, really get ripped.
they really don't need to get ripped, they're huge as they are. this ain't the scott steiner show. As per what they have going on for them? reDragon combined probably weight less than any of them alone, that's enough if you ask me. They just need to develop a bit more before heading to the main roster, which i personally think they're already heading to

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 24th, '17, 22:32

cero2k wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 14:35
KILLdozer wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 13:07 I'll just say somewhat on topic, as I guess they missed this week because of the attack, but Sanity V these Red Dragons, could be an interesting clash. Th Aops Idrc about, they just don't interest me because they don't have much going for them except Ellering saying, book of pain, book of destruction. I'll say it again-I know they're probably Samoan or something similar, but they really need more muscle mass, really get ripped.
they really don't need to get ripped, they're huge as they are. this ain't the scott steiner show. As per what they have going on for them? reDragon combined probably weight less than any of them alone, that's enough if you ask me. They just need to develop a bit more before heading to the main roster, which i personally think they're already heading to
You should know me by now... EVERYTHING is the Scott Steiner show and the CAGE show!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '17, 22:42