BRM Reviews the 8/16/2017 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/16/2017 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '17, 01:22

WOMEN’S TITLE CONTRACT SIGNING- very bad.
Ember’s promo was painfully scripted while Asuka just shouted in Japanese a lot.

LARS SULLIVAN WANTS A NEW TAG PARTNER- Apparently he has a history of beating up his partners. He begs Regal for “one more chance” so Regal gives him one more chance.

THE STREET PROFITS vs. LARS SULLIVAN & CHRIS SILVIO-
Lars immediately starts bossing his partner around, but in his defense, his partner is Chris Silvio. Nigel says he is “a little worried” to see Silvio and Sullivan teaming together, probably for the same reason I’m excited to see it: because there is no way this doesn’t end with Silvio getting his ass kicked.
The Street Profits pretty much destroyed Silvio, putting him away before he could even make a tag. While this was happening, I discovered that this Montez Ford guy is SOOOO great.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Lars Sullivan picked Chris Silvio up and carried him all the way outside the building to beat him up, keeping his promise to Regal that he wouldn’t have any altercations in the building. He dumped Silvio in a dumpster, which is where Chris Silvio belongs because he’s such a loser.

BILLIE KAY (w/Peyton Royce) vs. RUBY RIOT- 2.25/10
Ruby wins clean. Peyton Royce cut a good post-match promo on Ruby to set up a match with her at some point down the line.

TAG TITLE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

IF STRONG WINS, HE GETS AN NXT TITLE SHOT AFTER TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN III- 7.25/10
The DQ finish is disappointing (I was hoping Roddy would win clean, then Roode would win at Takeover capitalizing on Roddy’s work on the back, then Roddy would take the title from Roode, then Drew would turn heel on Roddy, blaming his weakening of his back for his loss in Brooklyn). Still, props are in order for whoever came up with the exact spot of this finish, and as they managed to find a situation where Roode would see an extraordinary opportunity to do damage to Drew, but he would have to hit Roddy first, resulting in Roddy winning by DQ and thus still receiving the title shot.

An okay episode of NXT, but mostly on the strength of the main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/16/2017 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 18th, '17, 08:05

No no no. These Street Prophet dudes are ridiculous. What the hell is in that red cup anyways? Yeah, I'm still not sold on the "Random red eyes just because" thing with Ember Moon. They don't work if she's just a normal character.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '17, 09:09

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 18th, '17, 08:05 No no no. These Street Prophet dudes are ridiculous. What the hell is in that red cup anyways? Yeah, I'm still not sold on the "Random red eyes just because" thing with Ember Moon. They don't work if she's just a normal character.
I don't get what's up with the cups (other than that it's a thing they can sell), but other than that I love their gimmick. As for Ember and the red eyes, I think it's just a thing that she does to look cooler. Like the Road Warriors wearing facepaint. They'd still be just as good without it, but wearing it makes them look cooler. Same thing with Ember's colored contact lenses.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 18th, '17, 11:49

The difference is the Road Warrior paint actually fits in somewhat. At least there's shoulder pads and mohawk. This is just red eyes because red eyes, and she was pretty much supposed to be Mortal Kombat when she started.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.