BRM Reviews the 8/9/2017 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/9/2017 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 11th, '17, 09:33

SAnitY SHOW UP AND CALL OUT THE AUTHORS OF PAIN- good
As Admiral Ackbar would say, “IT’S A TRAP!” as Eric Young makes his return by jumping the AOP from behind. Eric zip-tied Rezar to a guardrail while the others beat up Akam, then they pulled Rezar to the ring by his guardrail and beat him up, too.

BILLIE & PAYTON SELF-SHOT VIDEO- they get angry because Ruby Riot wandered through the background. These two are the worst Beautful People knock-off ever.

THE STREET PROFITS vs. THE METRO BROTHERS- no rating, fine squash

FOOTAGE OF HIDEO ITAMI TRYING TO JUMP ALEISTER BLACK AFTER LAST WEEK’S SHOW- as a result, Nigel has singed them to a match at Takeover.

BOBBY ROODE & DREW MCINTYRE HAVE A TALKING SEGMENT- loved it!
Roode’s got personal security to protect him from the “crazed madman running around backstage,” Roderick Strong. They cut good promos on each other. Then Roddy came out and cut a promo on Roode (trying to be as polite as possible to Regal while still disobeying him acknowledging that it will be perfectly fair of Regal to fine him).
Then Roode started to seemingly go crazy, saying that if Roddy wanted another title shot he would definitely give it to him, and I was wondering why Roode was acting so out of character… and then Roode said that he would give Roddy a title shot at some point in the future if Roddy beat Drew next week. Major props are due to Roode for his delivery here. He sure worked me.
Drew said that he had no problem facing Roddy just four days before challenging for the title, using it to emphasize the difference between himself and Roode, who was making Roddy jump through hoops and wanting the match to be after Takeover, so he only had to focus on one big match at a time. Roode then used the whole “We Are NXT” catchphrase and “the fans want to see it” attitude to pressure Regal into making the match.
This segment was EXCELLENT! Roode got to look devious, Roddy got to get over his desperation while still getting what he wanted, Drew got to look fearless and principled, and Regal managed to retain his air authority even though everyone else was dictating things to him.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS JOHNNY GARGANO- good stuff by Johnny. He’s looking for a match at Takeover.

ONEY LORCAN vs. DANNY BURCH- 6.25/10
Solid wrestling. Burch wins clean this time to make things 1-1.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- didn’t like it
Now with the tables turned and Burch after a victory offering the handshake… Lorcan snubs him. Then Lorcan turns around and thinks better of it. I guess they could use this to show that Lorcan is an emotional guy in the heat of the moment, but if that’s not what the goal of this was, then it was pointless. Burch shows Lorcan more respect afterwards by holding the ropes open for him.

NO WAY JOSE vs. ANDRADE “CIEN” ALMAS (w/Zelina Vega)- 3/10
Very short. I’m not sure why this was the main event instead of Burch vs. Lorcan. Almas gets the win now with Vega as his manager.

ZELINA VEGA PROMO- she refers to Almas as her “associate.” She answers Gargano’s challenge on behalf of Almas.

A good episode of NXT, despite the extremely short main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/9/2017 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 11th, '17, 21:43

No...Rezar pulled the guardrail to the ring! Lol, I would have been a lot more impressed and thought it was a lot cooler if I actually liked those two dudes. They don't really feel like much to me at all other than generic in a way. It's probably Ellering that just doesn't do it for me when it comes down to it, since he's half the whole act.

I actually thought of the perfect replacement!

Papa Shango!

They're supposed to be like Hawaiian/borderline Samoan savages, so the whole voodoo thing feels like it would fit somehow.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/9/2017 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 12th, '17, 07:34

I already can not stand the street profits!

They're just stereotypical goofball black dudes lol. Plus, no mention of what was pretty literally a Deuce and Domino Parody?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.