BRM Reviews the 6/28/2017 NXT (LAST WOMAN STANDING!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/28/2017 NXT (LAST WOMAN STANDING!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '17, 19:27

HO HO LUN vs. THE VELVETEEN DREAM- 2.25/10
Short. Mauro referred to The Velveteen Dream as “The Purple Reignmaker.” Clever.

ASUKA INTERVIEW IN THE CAR- She’s getting the standard questi-HOLY SH*T NIKKI CROSS JUST CROSSBODIED THE WINDSHIELD! Nikki tries to get at Asuka but is restrained by security. This definitely helped get Nikki over as even crazier than we already thought she was. I also liked the fact that they had done an interview in the car with Asuka before, so that doing in the interview in the car didn’t feel out of place, which made Nikki’s craziness more surprising.

HEAVY MACHINERY & THE AUTHORS PAIN IN REGAL’S OFFICE- The Authors (& Ellering) are standing there like silent killers while Heavy Machinery are making all sorts of funny noises and screams of rage. Regal says there will be a tag title match in two weeks (I think the idea here was that they had just signed the contract). After Heavy Machinery left Ellering correctly noted that they are very weird, but Regal warned him not to underestimate them.

ONEY LORCAN vs. HIDEO ITAMI- no rating, good segment.
I am SOOOO happy they followed up on this. Not doing so would have made Oney look like a total jobber. Lorcan, understandably angry, rushed Itami right at the bell. He busted Itami’s nose, so the referee called the match off. This was great booking here as it gets Lorcan over as being dangerous but still holds off on doing a real rematch.

RODERICK STRONG VS. BOBBY ROODE VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome.

ITAMI COMES BACK OUT AND HE WANTS ONEY LORCAN!

HIDEO ITAMI vs. ONEY LORCAN- 4.75/10
This time it’s Itami who starts off with the big burst of offense. Itami is wresting this match with his nostrils medically plugged or whatever so that he doesn’t bleed all over everyone and everything. Lots of hate here. Lorcan tweaked his leg and it cost him the match. They tried to push the idea that Itami wasn’t as sportsmanlike in waiting for the referee to check on Lorcan as Lorcan was with him earlier. Nigel disputed this, pointing out that Lorcan said he could still go so Itami gave him his wish and there is nothing wrong with that. I’ve got to agree with Nigel here. Itami’s big sin of lacking sportsmanship here to me was actually that he was willing to use the referee as a screen to launch an attack when the referee was checking on him, while Lorcan did not. The match was excellent for the time it got.

HIDEO ITAMI CALLS OUT KASSIUS OHNO- Excellent segment.
Nikki Cross came out and distracted both of them, then they got jumped by SAnitY, notably without Eric Young. EY not being here meant that Alexander Wolf got the chance to talk. He was excellent in his craziness, but he’s got a different kind of craziness than either Cross or EY. He made a comment about “ending all of these forced friendships,” which is exactly what attacking both Ohno and Itami might do, but by making them real friends again due to the shared experience of fighting on the same side. Nikki Cross went nuts at the mention of Asuka’s name and wanted her title match right now, and she got it right after a commercial break.

LAST WOMAN STANDING MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN’S TITLE: Asuka(c) vs. Nikki Cross- 9/10
Asuka does her entrance just like normal, not sweating either Nikki or the stipulation. They had quite the brutal match and did a wonderful job scaling up the violence building to their extremely big finish. An amazing match… and this is coming from someone who usually doesn’t like Last Man Standing matches.

An AWESOME show from NXT. The main event was obviously a HUGE part of it, but everything else on the show other than the opener was very well done, and they showed a willingness to try some different things in their handling of the Itami-Lorcan situation.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/28/2017 NXT (LAST WOMAN STANDING!)

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 29th, '17, 20:00

Yeah, I really liked that Sanity promo segment. You failed to mention the "Master plan", that Wolfe said Young was working on...hmm.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.