BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II (awesome)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '16, 13:40

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II (8/20/2016)- New York, NY

AUSTIN ARIES vs. NO WAY JOSE- 7/10
Fine. I’ll admit it. I absolutely LOVED the No Way Jose Conga line. The match was very fun, and was a fantastic example of how you can have a great opener without doing too much.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Aries attacks Jose after the ma- hey! Ric Flair is in the front row!
Hideo Itami comes out to make the save. Aries attacks him while he is taking off his jacket, but Itami makes a comeback and finally hits the GTS in an NXT ring for a HUGE pop.

BILLIE KAY vs. EMBER MOON- 6.5/10
Billie Kay has new, non-Carmen music. Ember Moon is only wearing half of a skirt, and it’s really bothering me. The internet says this went less than five minutes, but there was so much stuff in here that flowed so well that that seems impossible. This was a great showcase for Ember Moon, but Billie Kay had a great showing for herself as well. Those red eyes are really creepy, and yet she somehow manages to be a fantastic babyface.

BOBBY ROODE INTERVIEW- good heel stuff.

BOBBY ROODE vs. ANDRADE “CIEN” ALMAS- 7/10
Roode’s entrance was GLORIOUS! This was a great match in which they cut some of the nearfalls REALLY close. It was nice to see Almas live up to some of the in-ring potential we know he is capable of in an NXT ring.

UMMMMMMM… what the f*ck was that “Sanity” thing?

CIAMPA GIVES GARGANO A TEAM T-SHIRT- yeah… he’s totally turning on him soon.

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Revival(c) vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano- 8.5/10
Ciampa is the babyface in peri- hey! Becky and Sasha are in the front row! They’re sitting exactly where Flair was and Flair isn’t there anymore, which kind of exposes the gimmick, but still… Becky and Sasha!
Anyway, Ciampa was the babyface in peril. They had some great teases of the hot tag, and some fantastic false finishes which got more and more convincing as time went on. Brilliant stuff.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Asuka(c) vs. Bayley- 7.25/10
They did a spot where Bayley dared Asuka to hit her in face… and when Asuka swung, Bayley BLOCKED, because Bayley isn’t an idiot like Shibata or Ishii.
Lots of great stuff in here, especially from Bayley, who did a fantastic job of conveying emotion with both her facials and her body language. This match was really more about emotion than anything else, and Bayley’s loss at the end almost made the match itself feel like less than it was.

NXT TITLE MATCH: Samoa Joe(c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura- 8.5/10
Semi-live musical entrance for Nakamura. I was terrified that The Drifter had shaved and learned to play violin.
The match was awesome. There’s not much more to say about it than that. It was just two guys fighting their hardest for a prestigious prize.

An awesome show from NXT (as if that wasn’t a given for a Takeover special).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II (awesome)

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 21st, '16, 15:51

I don't really like Nakamura that much though... he's pretty much just an eccentric goofball to me personality wise.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 21st, '16, 15:51

Ha! Bayley lost again.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 21st, '16, 17:44

Nakamura is hard to understand unless you followed him in Japan, he never really had an introduction on who he is, so I totally understand your opinion on him.

And yeah, Bagley had to lose this one. It's awesome IMO because when Asuka makes it to the main roster, we'll always have the story of Bayley has never been able to beat Asuka

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '16, 17:48

cero2k wrote:
And yeah, Bagley had to lose this one. It's awesome IMO because when Asuka makes it to the main roster, we'll always have the story of Bayley has never been able to beat Asuka
I don't think Bayley had to lose this one. I think Bayley could win the belt here and then drop it in a month or two in a surprise title change that could be used to make someone (maybe Daria if they push her right). Asuka is 100% out of challengers already.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 21st, '16, 20:41

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
I don't think Bayley had to lose this one. I think Bayley could win the belt here and then drop it in a month or two in a surprise title change that could be used to make someone (maybe Daria if they push her right). Asuka is 100% out of challengers already.
surely you can do that, but what for? why stop Asuka's reign just for a surprise title change and more props for Bayley. undefeated Asuka is more valuable than champion Bayley, especially when you wanna build someone else later on

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '16, 20:45

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
surely you can do that, but what for? why stop Asuka's reign just for a surprise title change and more props for Bayley. undefeated Asuka is more valuable than champion Bayley, especially when you wanna build someone else later on
Because Asuka has no viable challengers right now. You're not wrong that the win over Asuka is valuable, too, but Asuka has that special kind of aura like Brock where you can't give the win to just anyone. They really need to build someone for it, and it needs to be someone with the right feel.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation