BRM Reviews the 7/27/2016 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/27/2016 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 29th, '16, 00:48

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. WESLEY BLAKE- 4.25/10
It looks like Murphy is the one who gets to keep the entrance music in the break-up. We got a video from last week of them arguing backstage. Blake said he would prove he was the one who carried the team by beating Nakamura tonight, while Murphy said he would prove that HE was the one who carried the team by beating “the favorite to win the Cruiserweight Classic.” Obviously they weren’t specific about who this was in order to keep it a big secret to get a big surprise pop when the person in question comes out. Unfortunately for them, the dunderheads on the WWE Network decided to spoil this surprise by having the thumbnail for this episode be a big nice shot of Kota Ibushi.
The match was fun for what it was.

REGAL MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT- Nakamura will challenge Joe for the NXT Title at Takeover.

BILLIE KAY vs. SANTANA GARRETT- 3/10
They reminded us that Billie Kay appeared on Smackdown earlier this month to job to Dana Brooke. Then they told us that merely being given an opportunity to compete on a main roster show has “gone to her head” and now she’s an arrogant heel. They took a squash match that everyone had already forgotten about and used it to both explain a change of character and put over how special it is to be on the main roster. That, my friends, is making BRILLIANT use of the tools at your disposal.

BAYLEY & REGAL BACKSTAGE- Bayley is getting her rematch at Takeover. Cool.

TM61 vs. ROB RIZIN & ADRIAN NAILZ- GREAT squash.
We never got a graphic so I don’t know if Adrian Nailz’s name is supposed to be spelled with an “s” or a “z,” but I have chosen to spell it with a “z” so I can pretend he is related to Nailz. Nailz and Rising were excellent dork jobbers. That spot where one tried to do a Stinger Splash but it got dodged and then the other one tried for the same thing and crashed into the first one made me burst out laughing.

HIDEO ITAMI RETURN VIDEO PACKAGE- yay!

NO WAY JOSE vs. STEVE CUTLER-
No Way Jose has an awesome angry face. Not Alexa Bliss! level, but still awesome.

NO WAY JOSE PROMO- GREAT!
Jose is like the babyface version of C.J. Parker: a fun and goofy character who can turn on the serious when necessary to become a GREAT jobber to the stars.

It occurred to me that HUGE percentage of the wrestlers featured on this show were not born in the US (Nakamura, Kota, Murphy, Billie Kay, Nick Miller, Shane Thorne, No Way Jose… as opposed to just Blake and Bayley [I’m not counting the jobbers]). I don’t think that’s ever happened before on a regular episode of WWE TV.

KOTA IBUSHI vs. BUDDY MURPHY- 6.25/10
Fine for what it was.

AN INTERVIEWER INTERVIEWS SAMOA JOE- This was the first time Joe is learning of his title defense against Nakamura (Regal had earlier mentioned that he would have preferred for Joe to be present when he made the announcement but Joe was nowhere to be found). Joe was unhappy with the perceived disrespect, and said he was going to "fix" this right now.

BOBBY ROODE DEBUTS NEXT WEEK- I totally forgot he and EY were in the company. In EY's case that's a good thing.

JOE & REGAL SEGMENT- Very good.
Joe comes out and says he won't face Nakamura at Takeover. Regal comes out and pretty much says "I'm the GM. You'll face who I book you against." Joe says that Regal made him jump through hoops to get his title shot. He offers to negotiate for a challenger "of who I approve." Regal says that if Joe doesn't want Nakamura, he'll consider that a forfeit. Joe says he'll take the match, but warns that "if I see him, Nakamura might not make it to Takeover at all." And after this big threat... Nakamura just casually strolls out onto the stage showing no fear of Joe, because Nakamura is a f*cking badass.

A decent show from NXT. It’s definitely skippable and there is nothing great on it, but you won’t get bored while watching it, either.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/27/2016 NXT

Post by cero2k » Jul 29th, '16, 09:06

Big Red Machine wrote:
JOE & REGAL SEGMENT- Very good.
Joe comes out and says he won't face Nakamura at Takeover. Regal comes out and pretty much says "I'm the GM. You'll face who I book you against." Joe says that Regal made him jump through hoops to get his title shot. He offers to negotiate for a challenger "of who I approve." Regal says that if Joe doesn't want Nakamura, he'll consider that a forfeit. Joe says he'll take the match, but warns that "if I see him, Nakamura might not make it to Takeover at all." And after this big threat... Nakamura just casually strolls out onto the stage showing no fear of Joe, because Nakamura is a f*cking badass.
Vinny pointed something out that was really cool, but surely going to be ignored by them. Regal said that Bayley deserved a title shot, but he was still going to talk with Asuka to get her opinion. Meanwhile, He doesn't give a shit what Joe's opinion is when it comes to contenders. That Regal loves his Bayley