BRM Reviews the 5/25/2016 NXT (Great!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/25/2016 NXT (Great!)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '16, 00:47

REGAL MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT- he says he had planned on having Bayley get her rematch at Takeover, but she got injured last week so he is booking a #1 Contendership match for tonight’s main event: Alexa Bliss! vs. Nia Jax vs. Carmella. (Notice how all of them have won at least two matches on TV since the last Takeover show and haven’t lost. That’s called “competent booking” and it’s something we need a lot more of outside of NXT and EVOLVE).

JOHNNY GARGANO & TOMMASO CIAMPA vs. TMDK61 (Shane Thorne & Nick Miller)- 6.25/10
They’re even still saying “the mighty don’t kneel” in their promos… so why change their name? What does this “61” symbolize?
Really good introduction for TM61. I was actually shocked that they lost, just because if Ciampa and Gargano are going to be competing the Cruiserweight Classic, then they’re going to wind up as singles guy in a few months so there is no reason not to have them job in this tag match to what will definitely be a tag team that will stay together for quite a long time.

Why are they showing a commercial for the NXT’s Greatest Matches DVD on the WWE Network during NXT? If I’m watching NXT on the WWE Network I obviously know that already have access to all of this footage. The place they SHOULD be advertising this DVD that they don’t is on Raw.

WOMEN BACKSTAGE- This started off as a really good interview with Bayley that was interrupted by Nia, transforming it into a good segment between those two... but then they turned it into one of those corny, contrived WWE “skits” where all of the other women in the match happen to be walking by and have to drop their comments in. Alexa was great, as usual, but by the time she showed up the segment was already dead. Carmella was particularly terrible, and I’m not even sure how to describe what they had her wearing, but she looked like a complete and total doofus.

VIDEO PACKAGE FOR ANDRADE “CIEN” ALMAS- cool.

AUSTIN ARIES & SHINSUKE NAKAMURA SEGMENT- that’s really all I need to say to convey how awesome this was.

Regal books them against each other at Takeover.

Okay. Everyone changed their pants?

AMERICAN ALPHA PROMO- GREAT!

NO WAY JOSE vs. A JOBBER- entertaining squash.
And the announcers were fun, too.

FINN BALOR VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome

ASUKA PROMO- okay.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Nia Jax vs. Carmella vs. Alexa Bliss!- 6.75/10
Why Alexa Bliss! is awesome- Exhibit A:
This match was everything that’s great about Alexa Bliss! She’s a lot like Ausitn Aries in that they are both small but they know how to carry themselves like they are much bigger than they are, and it makes them come off like stars. Also, that comedy spot with Alexa and Nia in the beginning is certain to be the funniest thing I see in a wrestling ring all year.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Asuka came out and had a GREAT stare-down with the winner.

A great show from NXT. Lots of fun, with a great mean event, some awesome promos and video packages, and ARIES AND NAKAMURA CUTTING PROMOS ON EACH OTHER.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/25/2016 NXT (Great!)

Post by KILLdozer » May 27th, '16, 08:11

Carmella is just... Ugh.

I saw last week's show, against Peyton Royce. As you said before her gimmick/schtick thing just doesn't work on it's own, she certainly needs to continue doing this NXT thing for the in-ring Because that match had some truly comedically bad spots to it. All that having been said, she really doesn't seem credible enough for that Contender's Match.

Hey- I just thought of something... When the wrestling's just bad...are we as in fans within Kayfabe, supposed to just think they're really shitty fighters?
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '16, 08:28

KILLdozer wrote:Carmella is just... Ugh.

I saw last week's show, against Peyton Royce. As you said before her gimmick/schtick thing just doesn't work on it's own, she certainly needs to continue doing this NXT thing for the in-ring Because that match had some truly comedically bad spots to it. All that having been said, she really doesn't seem credible enough for that Contender's Match.

Hey- I just thought of something... When the wrestling's just bad...are we as in fans within Kayfabe, supposed to just think they're really shitty fighters?
Depends what kind of bad. If it's bad as in boring with weak strikes, then probably. If it's bad as in phantom bumps then... maybe we're supposed to be suspicious that it's fixed?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 27th, '16, 08:53

Big Red Machine wrote:
Why are they showing a commercial for the NXT’s Greatest Matches DVD on the WWE Network during NXT? If I’m watching NXT on the WWE Network I obviously know that already have access to all of this footage. The place they SHOULD be advertising this DVD that they don’t is on Raw.
not 100% sure, but I think this DVD contains matches from house shows too, at some point I think someone said that the King of Wrestling vs Punk/Rollins was in it

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 27th, '16, 12:55

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:Carmella is just... Ugh.

Depends what kind of bad. If it's bad as in boring with weak strikes, then probably. If it's bad as in phantom bumps then... maybe we're supposed to be suspicious that it's fixed?

Like... Sloppy and completely fucked up transition with the holds, fluidity, and overall wrestling. Is that just supposed to be akin to drubk drunk trailer brawls...where they obviously have an idea of what they're doing... But obviously have no business trying it....

Oh! Plot twist .

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 29th, '16, 19:55

Yes...what does this "61" mean?!?

You know that Andrade guy is La Sambra huh?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 30th, '16, 10:32

Oh hey I saw that Alexa Bliss on the turnbuckle thing...while it was hilarious I'm pretty sure Chris Jericho invented that.