BRM Reviews the 5/13/2015 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/13/2015 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '15, 02:37

SAMI ZAYN VS. JOHN CENA VIDEO PACKAGE- long and entirely unnecessary. This didn’t push Sami’s injury at all while the one they did later in the show did push the injury (and was also shorter).

SOLOMON CROWE vs. BARON CORBIN- 2/10
The people have officially turned on Baron Corbin with “Baron’s gonna bore you!” chants. This match wasn’t the usual bore-fest, but that’s more because of Crowe than Corbin.

POST-MATCH ANGLE- Rhyno comes out and asks Corbin if he wants to brawl. They do. Security breaks it up, but a chunk of them wind up eating a GORE! GORE! GORE!

FINN BALOR PROMO- okay.

TYLER BREEZE PROMO- good.

SASHA BANKS vs. A FEMALE WRESTLER- squash
The nameless girl got some roll-ups and a crossbody, then Sasha beat her. This whole thing really felt like an excuse for Sasha to cut her decent pre-match promo, which could have just been cut backstage.

DEVIN TAYLOR INTERVIEWS CHARLOTTE AND BAYLEY- okay.
I really don’t like combining these two feuds at Takeover. There is no reason to actually start the Charlotte vs. Brooke feud at this Takeover special, while Emma vs. Bayley has been built up well, and that feels diluted by having their first encounter be part of a tag match.

VIDEO PACKAGE FOR UHAA NAMELESS- there is really no reason to be putting this on the air if you don’t have a damn name for him yet.

CARMELLA vs. ALEXA BLISS!- 0.5/10
Blake and Murphy came out to watch the match, and just when I thought I couldn’t possibly dislike them any more than I already did, they started to root against Alexa Bliss!
Yeah… there was a lot of stuff in this match that wasn’t good, but G-d damn Alexa Bliss’ comebacks are so great!

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- okay
Blake and Murphy, who Carmella had distracted herself with and thus lost the match, get into the ring with Carmella… and the fans chanted “’NO’ MEANS ‘NO!’” which is definitely one of the more clever chants I’ve heard this year.
They tried to get her to leave Enzo and Cass, but she said that Enzo and Cass would win the tag titles and also that Blake and Murphy were S-A-W-F-T SAWFT!

HIDEO ITAMI PROMO- I’ve got to disagree with Hideo here. I don’t see how he can claim that Kevin Owens doesn’t have respect for the NXT Title. Everything Owens has done has been about the title, and he treats it like the second most important thing in the world, because it allows him to earn a better living for the most important thing in his world: his family.

DEVIN TAYLOR INTERVIEWS DANA BROOKE AND EMMA- Emma was good. Dana was bad.

ADAM ROSE & TYLER BREEZE vs. HIDEO ITAMI & FINN BALOR- 6.5/10
A good finish and also a good showing for Rose. Breeze laid out both babyfaces after the match. Then he knocked Adam Rose out just because.

SAMI ZAYN PROMO FROM AFTER RAW- good. It really made Sami come across like just a regular guy.

ZAYN & OWENS SEGMENT- great.

NXT go-home shows tend to try to crunch too much stuff into the show, but this one actually did a great job. The only change I would have made would be to cut out Sasha’s match, have her cut her promo backstage, and use the time to have Becky Lynch cut a promo saying that she’ll make Sasha tap just like she did last week and become the new NXT Women’s Champion.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/13/2015 NXT

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '15, 11:12

Big Red Machine wrote:
The people have officially turned on Baron Corbin with “Baron’s gonna bore you!” chants. This match wasn’t the usual bore-fest, but that’s more because of Crowe than Corbin.

POST-MATCH ANGLE- Rhyno comes out and asks Corbin if he wants to brawl. They do. Security breaks it up, but a chunk of them wind up eating a GORE! GORE! GORE!
For the first time in a long time, i actually enjoyed Corbin a lot, i liked his attitude here a lot and it shows that when paired up with a good wrestler you can bring out a good showing out of him.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- okay
Blake and Murphy, who Carmella had distracted herself with and thus lost the match, get into the ring with Carmella… and the fans chanted “’NO’ MEANS ‘NO!’” which is definitely one of the more clever chants I’ve heard this year.
indie smark here, they've been chanting that in PWG for over a year

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '15, 11:20

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

For the first time in a long time, i actually enjoyed Corbin a lot, i liked his attitude here a lot and it shows that when paired up with a good wrestler you can bring out a good showing out of him.
Agreed... but how many "big tough guy" feuds can he have before that becomes boring?
POST-MATCH SEGMENT- okay
Yeah, but in PWG they also pop for the various sexual harassment spots, so they have no moral ground to stand on.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '15, 13:53

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Agreed... but how many "big tough guy" feuds can he have before that becomes boring?
idk, i was more excited just to see him actually wrestle competitive, Crowe is all but a big tough guy to me. He'll definitely need to start talking if he's ever to go beyond this

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- okay
Yeah, but in PWG they also pop for the various sexual harassment spots, so they have no moral ground to stand on.
as JBL would say, "The crowd is split between the two"