BRM Reviews the 5/6/2015 NXT (GREAT!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/6/2015 NXT (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 7th, '15, 00:42

EMMA vs. CHARLOTTE- 5/10
It’s been a week and Emma is still wearing Bayley’s headband… and she’s doing it to troll little girls in the crowd. Awesome.
Those metallic rainbow paint-splotches crap on Charlotte’s gear needs to go. It looks horrendous. She’s a wrestler, not a disco ball.
The match was pretty good up until Charlotte made her comeback and stopped selling her knee. In fact, the right finish for this match would have been Emma making Charlotte tap to the half crab (making Lance Storm proud!) If Bayley is going to be tempted to follow Emma’s ways and ditch her happy-fun gimmick, then Emma’s ways need to be shown to work. This not only would have accomplished that, but would have also given Emma instant credibility.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- I also didn’t like this, and not just because Charlotte didn’t sell her leg at all. I just don’t think that this particular end result is the right one for this point in the feud. I agree that Bayley needed to come out, but I would have had Emma sucker Bayley one last time. Don’t get me wrong, Bayley would be hesitant to accept Emma’s “oh Bayley, it was all a joke. We’re still friends!” explanation, but Bayley’s forgiving and trusting nature would win out and Emma would take advantage of it, hitting Bayley with her own Hug-plex. I think it’s important for Bayley’s naiveté to burn her one last time, so that when she angrily challenges Emma for the match I assume they are going to be having at Takeover: Unstoppable, we know that it will be violent Bayley that shows up, and they get to save violent Bayley finally getting her hands on Emma for the big show.

BECKY LYNCH VIDEO PACKAGE- cool
Young Nattie! And CHEERLEADER MELISSA! KEVIN STEEN! SAMI ZAYN! COLT CABANA! DAIZEE HAZE! And… holy f*ck did I just see Teddy Hart?!
And they explained away the horrible stereotype that showed up in Becky’s place her first week on TV!

MICHAEL COLE INTERVIEWS KEVIN STEEN- very good

Bull Dempsey is coming out to the ring. I swear if he is wrestling Baron Corbin I’m going to break something.
Oh. Phew. It’s Rhyno. This is actually a good win for Rhyno to get on his way to Baron Corbin because Corbin has already beaten Dempsey and both Dempsey and Corbin are big dudes.
BULL DEMPSEY vs. RHYNO- 0.75/10
But good for what it was. After the match, Rhyno challenged Corbin to a match.

SASHA BANKS PROMO- yeah… this was kind of lame. It felt way too scripted. Someone was trying to be really clever rather than give Sasha lines that a real person would actually say.

A MYSTERY MAN SIGNS AN NXT CONTRACT- well… Regal seems excited.

THE MYSTERY MAN HAS A VIDEO PACKAGE- he’s a babyface, I guess… BUT WE STILL DON’T KNOW HIS NAME!

SCOTT DAWSON & DASH WILDER vs. COLIN CASSSADAY & ENZO AMORE (w/Carmella)- or not. Blake and Murphy have beaten them up backstage.

MICHAEL COLE INTERVIEWS SAMI ZAYN- GREAT!

SAMI ZAYN HEALTH UPDATE- we’ll find out next week.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH CONTRACT SIGNING- AWESOME segment! Every little bit of it!

ALEX RILEY PROMO- GREAT!

DEVIN INTERVIEWS DANA BROOKE- she used the term “whack” as an insult. Repeatedly. She’s also going to be starting a feud with Charlotte apparently. A good promo aside from this “whack” crap.

HIDEO ITAMI vs. TYLER BREEZE- 7/10
Again. I feel like I’ve seen this match a million times. I would have much rather seen either of these guys face Balor. The match was good, and they made good use of Balor at ringside.
GO AWAY stupid little Eva Marie graphic! You presence specifically makes me not want to watch whatever show it is they are advertising.

A GREAT episode of NXT!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Chris Everlast

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/6/2015 NXT (GREAT!)

Post by Chris Everlast » May 7th, '15, 05:32

So hype for Uhaa.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 7th, '15, 08:55

Some times you point out the most useless stuff. Wack? Do you never here anyone use the term wack? Do you listen to rap music at all?

Plus I didn't see anything wrong with the Emma segment. They could have done what you said but the way they did it was better. I love it when nxt actually moves its storylines ahead a bit instead of just letting the say stuff happen over and over until the ppv. I want Bagley to get mad and aggressive before a blow off match, not just for that one, which is usually what was does for its main shows. This way, it's not the same crap happening week after week; the wrestlers are at least exchanging the upper hand. For me, that means the blow off Will be a lot better

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 7th, '15, 10:57

Chris Everlast wrote:So hype for Uhaa.
Oh! Is that who that was! I don't think I've ever sen him with a shirt on, so I didn't recognize him without his muscularity.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 7th, '15, 11:04

badnewzxl wrote:Some times you point out the most useless stuff. Wack? Do you never here anyone use the term wack? Do you listen to rap music at all?
1) Not often
2) Now picutre the term coming out the mouth of a short white bod builder, and completely in spoken word form. It gets a lot lamer.
3) I think it's a dumb insult anyway.
badnewzxl wrote: Plus I didn't see anything wrong with the Emma segment. They could have done what you said but the way they did it was better. I love it when nxt actually moves its storylines ahead a bit instead of just letting the say stuff happen over and over until the ppv. I want Bagley to get mad and aggressive before a blow off match, not just for that one, which is usually what was does for its main shows. This way, it's not the same crap happening week after week; the wrestlers are at least exchanging the upper hand. For me, that means the blow off Will be a lot better
Because losing doesn't get Emma over, and having Bayley take her out doesn't build to the PPV as well. When combined with the promo I suggested, this doesn't become the same thing over and over because the promo makes this one the last time Bayley will ever fall for any of Emma's sh*t again.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 7th, '15, 13:44

it's WWE, all insults (except New Day's) are dumb anyway

Because losing doesn't get Emma over, and having Bayley take her out doesn't build to the PPV as well. When combined with the promo I suggested, this doesn't become the same thing over and over because the promo makes this one the last time Bayley will ever fall for any of Emma's sh*t again.
special will have
Owens vs Zayn
Balor vs Itami vs Breeze
Rhyno vs Corbin
Sasha vs Becky
Dubstep Cowboys vs Jersey Boys.

And we still have Dana vs Charlotte, and Nation's debut brewing out there

Emma vs Bayley doesn't necessarily need to happen at the special, for all we know this could be the end of that feud, and that will be good enough

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 7th, '15, 14:00

cero2k wrote:
special will have
Owens vs Zayn
Balor vs Itami vs Breeze
Rhyno vs Corbin
Sasha vs Becky
Dubstep Cowboys vs Jersey Boys.

And we still have Dana vs Charlotte, and Nation's debut brewing out there

Emma vs Bayley doesn't necessarily need to happen at the special, for all we know this could be the end of that feud, and that will be good enough

If this was going to be the end of the feud, fine, but I really don't see that being the case. Yes, you could easily just not have this match on the special (the same way that I think that both Dana's promo on Charlotte and Uhaa showing up were to ge things up for after the Takeover show), but even if the match is going to take place in the first set of tapings after the Takeover show, I still think that this segment doesn't do as much for the feud (and for Emma) as the segment I described would. If we are assuming they are having a match at the next Takeover show, then that's even more time you need to stretch this feud out for (I assume that match would be the blow-off rather than the first match, obviously), and my finish and segment give you more room to do that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 8th, '15, 08:03

Dave Meltzer wrote: --The reason Uhaa Nation in his vignette last night on NXT wasn't given a name is because they haven't decided yet on what he's going to be called
*facepalm*

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '15, 08:59

Big Red Machine wrote:
Dave Meltzer wrote: --The reason Uhaa Nation in his vignette last night on NXT wasn't given a name is because they haven't decided yet on what he's going to be called
*facepalm*
I really hope that just like Slater's nickname, Uhaa's nickname is "One Man Nation.....Of Domination"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 8th, '15, 09:05

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
*facepalm*
I really hope that just like Slater's nickname, Uhaa's nickname is "One Man Nation.....Of Domination"
I could totally get behind that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 11th, '15, 11:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Some times you point out the most useless stuff. Wack? Do you never here anyone use the term wack? Do you listen to rap music at all?
1) Not often
2) Now picutre the term coming out the mouth of a short white bod builder, and completely in spoken word form. It gets a lot lamer.
badnewzxl wrote: Plus I didn't see anything wrong with the Emma segment. They could have done what you said but the way they did it was better. I love it when nxt actually moves its storylines ahead a bit instead of just letting the say stuff happen over and over until the ppv. I want Bagley to get mad and aggressive before a blow off match, not just for that one, which is usually what was does for its main shows. This way, it's not the same crap happening week after week; the wrestlers are at least exchanging the upper hand. For me, that means the blow off Will be a lot better
The main roster superstars don't need to get over. The only point in bringing someone from the main down to nxt is to get the young talent over. Their feud isn't about a match its about Emma trying to get Bagley to stop being a child; stop being "nice" that's how this whole thing started. Emma doesn't need to look tough or strong when the only thing she wants to do is annoy Bagley. This feud is gonna be a graduation for Bayley and I bet money it ends with an emotional hug. BET!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 11th, '15, 12:01

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
1) Not often
The main roster superstars don't need to get over. The only point in bringing someone from the main down to nxt is to get the young talent over. Their feud isn't about a match its about Emma trying to get Bagley to stop being a child; stop being "nice" that's how this whole thing started. Emma doesn't need to look tough or strong when the only thing she wants to do is annoy Bagley. This feud is gonna be a graduation for Bayley and I bet money it ends with an emotional hug. BET!
Except that Emma never got over in any way on the main roster (because of how poorly she was utilized), and that fact plays into the angle with Bayley. Emma isn't trying to tell Bayley to change her ways because Emma just wants to be evil. She is doing it out of sincere concern for Bayley. She went up to the main roster and did similar things and it didn't help her win at all, so she is trying to stop Bayley from making the same mistake. For that reason, Emma needs to get over. This feud isn't merely about putting Bayley over Emma. It's about establishing a new character for Emma as well, and thus Emma needs to look tough and strong.
As for this feud being "graduation" for Bayley... there's no way she's getting called up without a short title run.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 11th, '15, 12:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Except that Emma never got over in any way on the main roster (because of how poorly she was utilized), and that fact plays into the angle with Bayley. Emma isn't trying to tell Bayley to change her ways because Emma just wants to be evil. She is doing it out of sincere concern for Bayley. She went up to the main roster and did similar things and it didn't help her win at all, so she is trying to stop Bayley from making the same mistake. For that reason, Emma needs to get over. This feud isn't merely about putting Bayley over Emma. It's about establishing a new character for Emma as well, and thus Emma needs to look tough and strong.
As for this feud being "graduation" for Bayley... there's no way she's getting called up without a short title run.
I've just realize that i was wrong, there's no way they would end the feud without an actual one on one match between the two

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 13th, '15, 00:59

Brm, what you're saying is cool and all, but it's not what is being presented to us on the show. Just like when Titus came down to fight Sami and Neville; like when Axel came down for that moment. If Emma was there to restart her career she wouldn't still be jobbing on main roster shows. I think this is gonna turn out to be one of those teacher v. mentor final test kinda deals where Bayley finds that full aggression she's been building towards since she first challenged for the title. From what we've seen on nxt, I don't get where you find any direction for Emma in this feud, unless she takes the belt from Sasha so Bayley can then win it from Emma. But Bayley beating Sasha seems like the way to go.

Idk, I just don't see Emma being in nxt to elevate her own character; that's not what I've seen over the last few weeks.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '15, 07:58

badnewzxl wrote:Brm, what you're saying is cool and all, but it's not what is being presented to us on the show. Just like when Titus came down to fight Sami and Neville; like when Axel came down for that moment. If Emma was there to restart her career she wouldn't still be jobbing on main roster shows. I think this is gonna turn out to be one of those teacher v. mentor final test kinda deals where Bayley finds that full aggression she's been building towards since she first challenged for the title. From what we've seen on nxt, I don't get where you find any direction for Emma in this feud, unless she takes the belt from Sasha so Bayley can then win it from Emma. But Bayley beating Sasha seems like the way to go.

Idk, I just don't see Emma being in nxt to elevate her own character; that's not what I've seen over the last few weeks.
That's exactly how it has been presented since Emma reappeared in NXT. It's on the March 4th NXT, right after that first segment with Bayley where Emma awkwardly tells Bayley that been fun and goofy got her "right back down here at NXT" and then walks off, the announcers immediately say "clearly this is not the usual Emma." If this was supposed to be a mentor thing then:
1. The announcers wouldn't have focused on just Emma in that segment. They would have said something like "oh boy. I wonder if Emma is trying to teach Bayley a lesson."
2. Emma wouldn't have been so awkward about it. And yes, I know that being awkward is part of her character and that does help this angle, but in that segment Emma didn't feel like she was being awkward because that's the character. Her awkwardness seemed more like that sort of uncomfortable-ness when you get moved to a position that you know is really a demotion, but you're trying to spit it positively so that you won't offend your new coworkers.
3. They would have spent more time building up that type of relationship (this is NXT, not WWE or TNA. They're actually competent at this sort of thing)

As for the "jobbing on main roster shows" thing, I'm pretty sure that both Axel and Titus did this during their brief trips down to NXT (remember that NXT is taped about a month at a time).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 13th, '15, 11:04

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Brm, what you're saying is cool and all, but it's not what is being presented to us on the show. Just like when Titus came down to fight Sami and Neville; like when Axel came down for that moment. If Emma was there to restart her career she wouldn't still be jobbing on main roster shows. I think this is gonna turn out to be one of those teacher v. mentor final test kinda deals where Bayley finds that full aggression she's been building towards since she first challenged for the title. From what we've seen on nxt, I don't get where you find any direction for Emma in this feud, unless she takes the belt from Sasha so Bayley can then win it from Emma. But Bayley beating Sasha seems like the way to go.

That's exactly how it has been presented since Emma reappeared in NXT. It's on the March 4th NXT, right after that first segment with Bayley where Emma awkwardly tells Bayley that been fun and goofy got her "right back down here at NXT" and then walks off, the announcers immediately say "clearly this is not the usual Emma." If this was supposed to be a mentor thing then:
1. The announcers wouldn't have focused on just Emma in that segment. They would have said something like "oh boy. I wonder if Emma is trying to teach Bayley a lesson."
2. Emma wouldn't have been so awkward about it. And yes, I know that being awkward is part of her character and that does help this angle, but in that segment Emma didn't feel like she was being awkward because that's the character. Her awkwardness seemed more like that sort of uncomfortable-ness when you get moved to a position that you know is really a demotion, but you're trying to spit it positively so that you won't offend your new coworkers.
3. They would have spent more time building up that type of relationship (this is NXT, not WWE or TNA. They're actually competent at this sort of thing)

As for the "jobbing on main roster shows" thing, I'm pretty sure that both Axel and Titus did this during their brief trips down to NXT (remember that NXT is taped about a month at a time).
I remember that episode and I remember them saying all that...that one time. And since then, it's all been about Bayley. Yeah, Emma explained that being too nice and goofy got her sent right back to nxt, but the very next thing she did was slap Bayley and since then she's gone back to acting goofy, mainly to antagonize Bayley. I don't see Emma herself changing much at all; just bc they said something the first week we saw her back means nothing when they've absolutely ignored if since then. You complain in your review that they aren't making Emma look strong: that's bc she's not supposed to look strong. Bayley is. Just like when Titus and Axel came down; they jobbed in nxt too! They didn't develop their own character they were there to get Sami Zayn and Neville over.

I think of this as a tough love angle; not a competitive 'you're not getting my spot' kinda deal.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '15, 12:36

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

I remember that episode and I remember them saying all that...that one time. And since then, it's all been about Bayley. Yeah, Emma explained that being too nice and goofy got her sent right back to nxt, but the very next thing she did was slap Bayley and since then she's gone back to acting goofy, mainly to antagonize Bayley. I don't see Emma herself changing much at all; just bc they said something the first week we saw her back means nothing when they've absolutely ignored if since then. You complain in your review that they aren't making Emma look strong: that's bc she's not supposed to look strong. Bayley is. Just like when Titus and Axel came down; they jobbed in nxt too! They didn't develop their own character they were there to get Sami Zayn and Neville over.

I think of this as a tough love angle; not a competitive 'you're not getting my spot' kinda deal.
No change in Emma? Did you watch the match? She did NONE of her typical goofy Emma stuff- no dancing, no stomping, no Emmamite Sandwich- aside from the very beginning of her entrance, and that all stopped the moment she taunted that fan by faking giving her the Bayley headband. At one point the announcers even said "this is a different Emma."

I'm not saying it's a "you're not getting my spot" thing. I agree with you that it's a "tough love" angle. Emma genuinely believes in her heart of hearts that she is trying to help Bayley because she sees Bayley doing the same things that she was doing, and when she did those things on the main roster, she failed. Emma is changing, and she is trying to show Bayley that she won't be successful unless she changes in the same way Emma is changing (because she sees Bayley making the same mistakes that she made).
Thus, if there is to be a good story here for Bayley- if there is going to be some challenge here for her to overcome, then Emma needs to be made to look strong, but physically and mentally. If Emma doesn't use Bayley's naivite against her- if being friendly Bayley doesn't ever come back to bite Bayley in the ass- then what temptation does Bayley have to change her ways? And if Emma's new attitude has her being just as unsuccessful as her old attitude did, then why would Bayley ever think that adopting a similar attitude will help her succeed?

As for Titus and Axel, I'm pretty sure that at least Titus actually got a win over Zayn first before losing to him, so they did make him look strong before having Sami get the big win.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 13th, '15, 13:38

I see what you mean now. I thought you meant by "look strong" that she needs to be elevated above the divas. I didn't think of Emma teaching Bayley to be tougher bc the goofy stuff didn't work out; I was thinking she just wanted Bayley to get a taste of what the main roster divas would do to her if she came in as Emma did. I know those are very close to the same thing, with the difference being what we've been debating here. The reason I think the way I do is bc of what they did on this episode. That's why I don't think they are going in the exact direction you're talking about bc, as you said, that would be counterproductive. And, as you said, in nxt they actually do do things for a purpose.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '15, 21:58

badnewzxl wrote:I see what you mean now. I thought you meant by "look strong" that she needs to be elevated above the divas. I didn't think of Emma teaching Bayley to be tougher bc the goofy stuff didn't work out; I was thinking she just wanted Bayley to get a taste of what the main roster divas would do to her if she came in as Emma did. I know those are very close to the same thing, with the difference being what we've been debating here. The reason I think the way I do is bc of what they did on this episode. That's why I don't think they are going in the exact direction you're talking about bc, as you said, that would be counterproductive. And, as you said, in nxt they actually do do things for a purpose.
I was arguing that Emma need to be elevated above the others. She needs to be above Bayley's level for this angle to work. Obviously you can't have her beat Sasha or Becky, so Charlotte is really the only choice (Carmella, Bliss, and Dana are all below Bayley).
As we've established, in NXT they do things for a purpose. If this was just supposed to be a "mentor" angle, they'd use someone like Nattie or some other woman who has been established and has success on the main roster. But they're not. They're specifically using Emma, who is one of Bayley's peers. Emma isn't coming down to NXT to put people over like Curtis Axel did. She's coming down to NXT to reinvent her character like Bo Dallas or Tyson Kidd did.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » May 14th, '15, 00:48

If you believe they do things for a reason, why are you questioning this decision? Bc it's not going the direction you believe it's gonna go? I'm having a hard time understanding how a person who thinks things are done for a reason can sit and question what has been done. Obviously, if not does things for a reason then Emma DOESN'T need to be elevated above Charlotte or Bayley bc she was booked to lose the damn match. You're making a claim then undermining it in the next breath.

When did Bo ever go back to nxt? He lost a match that banned him from nxt.

Tyson I'll give you, but that's the only guy. Titus, Axel, and Rose all stop back through and its never something about them reinventing themselves, so what makes you think Emma's case is any different? It's needed, it's cool, but it does not look like what they're going for.