BRM Reviews the 4/15/2015 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/15/2015 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '15, 09:45

CJ PARKER vs. SOLOMON CROWE- 4.5/10
Corey Graves asks a good question: "Why does Solomon Crowe feel the need to mess with all of our technical instruments when he comes to the ring?" This gimmick is one of those things where the idea seems cool, but it really seems to serve no purpose. You can have him hack into the TitanTron or show feed to cut promos, but what else can you really do to have him be a hacker?

SOLOMON CROWE PROMO- wow... talk about stupid catchphrases.

BARON CORBIN vs. STEVE CUTLER- squash
Yeah... this guy is entering the Ascension Zone. Any more pointless squashes without showing anything that resembles improvement and I'm going to start giving them DUDs on principle. The people don't count for Corbin anymore, meaning that no one cares about him.

SAMI ZAYN PROMO- good

ANGELO DAWKINS & SAWYER FULTON vs. COLIN CASSADAY & ENZO AMORE (w/Carmella)- 3.75/10
Before the match, Cass and Enzo cut a promo on Blake & Murphy. Dawkins and Fulton didn't look too shabby here at all. The big development was Blake and Murphy both giving Carmella a bouquet of flowers, which she seemed to like. Props to her for actually smelling the flowers a bunch of times and not just holding them. She was actually really good on the outside here, cheering enthusiastically the whole time, but making sure that she was always facing the hard cam with the flowers in full view.
Rich Brennan: Is this some kind of weird love triangle?
Cory Graves: No, Rich. There's five of them. It's clearly a love pentagram.
AWESOME!

ALEX RILEY PROMO- great
Not going to lie: when he showed up on the screen and just started talking, my immediate reaction was "who the f*ck is that?" He was great, though. It seems amazing to me that they didn't push him on the main roster.

DANA BROOKE vs. BLUE PANTS- no rating. Good for what it was.
So does Blue pants just not perceive how insulting her entrance theme is intended to be? You'd think she'd at least ask them to cut out the "straight from the clearance rack" part.
WHOA! A BLATANT vagina-punt by Ravishing Chick Rude!
Her offense was basic, but mostly fine (aside from that thing she tried in the corner). She definitely seems to have the personality part down, though.

SAMI ZAYN vs. RHYNO- 7/10
Wow... I'm really surprised that Sami picked up the win here.

A good show from NXT. Stuff was short, but aside from the Corbin match it was never once unenjoyable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/15/2015 NXT

Post by cero2k » Apr 17th, '15, 10:18

Big Red Machine wrote:CJ PARKER vs. SOLOMON CROWE- 4.5/10
Corey Graves asks a good question: "Why does Solomon Crowe feel the need to mess with all of our technical instruments when he comes to the ring?" This gimmick is one of those things where the idea seems cool, but it really seems to serve no purpose. You can have him hack into the TitanTron or show feed to cut promos, but what else can you really do to have him be a hacker?
I insist he needs to drop that hacker gimmick and become Raven, "Crowe's Nest" and all

Yeah... this guy is entering the Ascension Zone. Any more pointless squashes without showing anything that resembles improvement and I'm going to start giving them DUDs on principle. The people don't count for Corbin anymore, meaning that no one cares about him.
they were counting in this match, but now there's no purpose, he's not breaking his record anymore, it's stupid.

ALEX RILEY PROMO- great
Not going to lie: when he showed up on the screen and just started talking, my immediate reaction was "who the f*ck is that?" He was great, though. It seems amazing to me that they didn't push him on the main roster.
it's amazing to me that he still has a job. But i realize that there aren't many face punching bags for Steen to destroy

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '15, 10:48

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:CJ PARKER vs. SOLOMON CROWE- 4.5/10
I insist he needs to drop that hacker gimmick and become Raven, "Crowe's Nest" and all
Right. Because the wrestling business really needs another Raven rip-off written by writers who have no idea what to do with it (see: Bray Wyatt)

they were counting in this match, but now there's no purpose, he's not breaking his record anymore, it's stupid.
I didn't even hear them.

ALEX RILEY PROMO- great
it's amazing to me that he still has a job. But i realize that there aren't many face punching bags for Steen to destroy
Why do you dislike Riley so much? He's a great promo and is perfectly competent in the ring.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 17th, '15, 11:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Why do you dislike Riley so much? He's a great promo and is perfectly competent in the ring.
i just think he's bland and generic, competent in the ring is nothing when your gimmick sucks. when you have a crap gimmick, you at least need Bryan Danielson level skills to make it worth watching

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '15, 11:19

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Why do you dislike Riley so much? He's a great promo and is perfectly competent in the ring.
i just think he's bland and generic, competent in the ring is nothing when your gimmick sucks. when you have a crap gimmick, you at least need Bryan Danielson level skills to make it worth watching
Why does everyone but me hate generic babyfaces?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 17th, '15, 12:13

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: i just think he's bland and generic, competent in the ring is nothing when your gimmick sucks. when you have a crap gimmick, you at least need Bryan Danielson level skills to make it worth watching
personally, they're boring as hell, they're all goody too shoes, it's like their gimmicks can't go further than 'do the right thing' and 'bully the bad guys', but then you have WWE that goes a step forward and makes them all underdogs, and no matter what, they never evolve. It's just annoying. At least do that to a Bryan level wrestler who can excite us in the ring, but they do it with the blandest guys out there.

I see Riley, and immediately I see guys like Tyson Dux, or Mike Mondo, or Alex Wright. just generic pretty boys with nothing to offer other than being 'competent' in the ring.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '15, 12:31

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: i just think he's bland and generic, competent in the ring is nothing when your gimmick sucks. when you have a crap gimmick, you at least need Bryan Danielson level skills to make it worth watching
personally, they're boring as hell, they're all goody too shoes, it's like their gimmicks can't go further than 'do the right thing' and 'bully the bad guys', but then you have WWE that goes a step forward and makes them all underdogs, and no matter what, they never evolve. It's just annoying. At least do that to a Bryan level wrestler who can excite us in the ring, but they do it with the blandest guys out there.

I see Riley, and immediately I see guys like Tyson Dux, or Mike Mondo, or Alex Wright. just generic pretty boys with nothing to offer other than being 'competent' in the ring.
Dux I understand. I've always thought he was bland. Mondo's biggest problem was his voice, which made his barely passable promos into downright annoying ones.
Riley always comes off to me as a guy with a TON of personality. He's not as good a worker as Bryan or Zayn, but there is no deny that he certainly has a lot of personality and is at least passable in the ring. As for him not evolving, I think this whole deal that they are doing with Riley is great. He has been relegated to an announcer for so long that he is rusty, but he still feels the need to go out there and prove himself. He has a lot of frustration pent up inside him and wants to let it out. He's shown more personality in this feud that generic babyface Finn Balor has in WWE so far, and at least as much as Becky Lynn has.
It's okay to be a generic "train hard, don't cheat, treat everyone with respect, say your prayers and eat your vitamins" type of babyface if you have some personality and charisma to you.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 17th, '15, 12:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Riley always comes off to me as a guy with a TON of personality. He's not as good a worker as Bryan or Zayn, but there is no deny that he certainly has a lot of personality and is at least passable in the ring. As for him not evolving, I think this whole deal that they are doing with Riley is great. He has been relegated to an announcer for so long that he is rusty, but he still feels the need to go out there and prove himself. He has a lot of frustration pent up inside him and wants to let it out. He's shown more personality in this feud that generic babyface Finn Balor has in WWE so far, and at least as much as Becky Lynn has.
It's okay to be a generic "train hard, don't cheat, treat everyone with respect, say your prayers and eat your vitamins" type of babyface if you have some personality and charisma to you.
he's shown personality, but it comes after i don't know how many years in the wwe, and surely feeding out of Steen's awesome persona. Like his promo said, he has nowhere else to go from this, he's nothing in the main roster, and he feels like old news in nxt

I do agree that those types of faces are good to have, always at least one, but like i said, unless you evolve bits and pieces here and there, you need to be awesome in the ring to make us care about you

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Apr 17th, '15, 12:58

I don't think Riley is bland; he's just an old fashioned feed up face. He becomes more and more like ECW Shane Douglas every day. I don't get the hate either, he's only had two matches since he's come back and two Damn good promos

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '15, 13:17

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Riley always comes off to me as a guy with a TON of personality. He's not as good a worker as Bryan or Zayn, but there is no deny that he certainly has a lot of personality and is at least passable in the ring. As for him not evolving, I think this whole deal that they are doing with Riley is great. He has been relegated to an announcer for so long that he is rusty, but he still feels the need to go out there and prove himself. He has a lot of frustration pent up inside him and wants to let it out. He's shown more personality in this feud that generic babyface Finn Balor has in WWE so far, and at least as much as Becky Lynn has.
he's shown personality, but it comes after i don't know how many years in the wwe, and surely feeding out of Steen's awesome persona. Like his promo said, he has nowhere else to go from this, he's nothing in the main roster, and he feels like old news in nxt

I do agree that those types of faces are good to have, always at least one, but like i said, unless you evolve bits and pieces here and there, you need to be awesome in the ring to make us care about you
I agree that he feels like old news for NXT, but I think there is a lot for him to do. If they do something with him out of this, you have the "40 year old rookie" type of deal- not that he's a rookie, but this is his last chance to make something of himself and live out his dream before he gets to be too old to really have a good run. His first run was disappointing, but now after a few years he's getting a second chance. It's a good story.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation