BRM Reviews the 7/31/2014 NXT (bad)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/31/2014 NXT (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 6th, '14, 08:56

TYLER BREEZE vs. ANGELO DAWKINS- squash

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Tyler trolled everyone, making them think he was announcing when he would get his NXT Title shot, but instead he announced he would be submitting his music video for an award in the documentary category.
Adrian Neville came out and wanted to know when Breeze would cash in his title shot. He made fun of Tyler's mother, then attacked him as revenge for last week.

JOJO INTERVIEWS NATALYA- great
Of all of the dumb questions in the world, JoJo asks Nattie for her thoughts on Adam Rose returning to NXT. Nattie handles it like a pro, though, saying Rose is fun and makes people want to dance. Tyson Kidd shows up and says to Nattie "come on. Are you serious? You're not really buying into this whole act, do you? Adam Rose is a circus clown without the facepaint. Fact." I could not possibly agree with TJ more. He also says that Rose has "squandered every chance he has had on Raw," which is not factual, despite TJ's claim that it is, but that's okay because TJ is a heel.
Nattie tells TJ he is being rude, and even worse, she tells him he is being "a lemon." This causes TJ to tell them to find Rose and tell him that he is challenging him to a match tonight "id he has the Rosebuds to face me." Great stuff. This TJ and Nattie angle has been a revelation.

The announcers announced a #1 contedership tag team tournament starting next week. Renee looked really cute.

CHARLOTTE vs. BECKY LYNCH- 3/10
It was good aside from the fact that Becky COMPLETELY NO-SOLD THE LEG WHICH CHARLOTTE HAD BEEN WORKING OVER ALL MATCH when she made her comeback. This really bothered me. Maybe it's bothering me more than normal because of how many times I have seen it in the G1 in the last few days, but it really ruined this match for me. Especially her doing the leg drop. Charlotte is great, though.

JOJO INTERVIEWS MOJO RAWLEY ABOUT THE TAG TEAM #1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT-
If you were going to but Mojo in this tournament, why would you squash him last week? On the bright side, though, he suggested that JoJo be his tag team partner, and that they call the team Mojo JoJo.
The Bull Dempsey showed up and said that he didn't like Mojo, but they both needed a tag partner, so he suggested that they team up. Mojo was ready to get hyped about this, but Bull cut him off by forcefully but quietly telling him to "stop it." Then he continued by saying "if you screw this up for me, you will feel the wrath of the wrecking ball like no one in NXT has ever felt it before." That's some atrocious dialogue right there, but I will say that for the parts that actually sounded like something someone would say in real life (the "stop it. If you screw this up for me" part), his delivery was fantastic.

THE ASCENSION vs. STEVE CUTLER & MATT MILES- DUD!
WHY?! WHY? WHY? WHY? What is the purpose of doing YET ANOTHER F*CKING ASCENSION SQUASH! You just talked about how dominant they were a few segments ago, and over the past three weeks you have had a video package highlighting their dominance, had them cut a promo talking about it, and then had them squash some guys JUST LAST WEEK?! No one gains anything from this! All you do is annoy the fans by showing us the same thing over and over, and take time away from contracted workers who could be getting more experience having longer matches.
Apparently this Cutler guy is a returning jobber. This news was about as exciting as the promo the Ascension cut after this match.

PARKER VS. WOODS VIDEO PACKAGE- good for what it was. Also, these two are having a match next week.

MOJO RAWLEY & BULL DEMPSEY vs. THE MECHANICS (Scott Dawson & Dash Wilder)- 0.5/10
The Mechanics got some offense in on Mojo, but once Dempsey got the hot tag, he beat them in about three moves.

RICH BRENNAN INTERVIEWS BAYLEY- eh.
This week Bayley sounds less like a mentally handicapped person, and more like a semi-confident middle school girl nervous about her big part in the school play. She did seem to get more confident as the promo went on, though. Charlotte showed up and said that Bayley wasn't worthy to utter her name. It was boring.
Also, I under stand what they are getting at, but they really should think carefully before having the tall blonde-haired blue-eyed white girl go around talking about how she is "genetically superior."

ADAM ROSE (w/the Rosebuds) vs. TYSON KIDD (w/Natalya)- 5.75/10
In the beginning of the match, Adam Rose rolled out of the ring, walked over to Nattie, looked her over from all sides, then gave her his lollipop to put in her mouth. Tyson Kidd stood there and did nothing. I can see this bothering some people, but I assume that, in Tyson's head, this was a "test of loyalty" for Nattie, which she failed, and he will now bring that up at every opportunity.
Tyson rolled out of the ring to yell at her after this happened. Renee Young called it "immature," but I don't think anyone will really blame Tyson. How would you feel if you were in a professional fight against a guy, and in the middle of that fight, your opponent went over to your wife, looked her up and down like a piece of meat (attention which she ate up, no less), then offered her some phallic imagery... and she accepted it? Wouldn't you be pissed?
Tyson Kidd wound up getting rolled up after taking too long talking to Nattie on the outside instead of hitting a move to put Rose away. Nattie tried to console him in the ring, but he would have none of it. I really wish we could have heard exactly what they were saying.

A bad show from NXT. There have been WAY too many squashes on this show recently, and most of them are entirely pointless.

And yes. For the record, this does mean that there was a week when IMPACT was A MILLION TIMES BETTER than NXT.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Tom Phillips referred to the Ascension as the "gatekeepers of the tag team division." He clearly doesn't understand what a gatekeeper is.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/31/2014 NXT (bad)

Post by cero2k » Aug 6th, '14, 09:45

Big Red Machine wrote:
It was good aside from the fact that Becky COMPLETELY NO-SOLD THE LEG WHICH CHARLOTTE HAD BEEN WORKING OVER ALL MATCH when she made her comeback. This really bothered me. Maybe it's bothering me more than normal because of how many times I have seen it in the G1 in the last few days, but it really ruined this match for me. Especially her doing the leg drop. Charlotte is great, though.
what you think of the 'new' gimmick ? I liked the song, and could get into it, but i didn't really liked how the announcers talked about her

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/31/2014 NXT (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 6th, '14, 11:00

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
what you think of the 'new' gimmick ? I liked the song, and could get into it, but i didn't really liked how the announcers talked about her
They said "shades of Lita." I almost laughed. They're technically right, I guess, if the things you remember most about Lita are the fact that she was a redhead and liked rock music. Personally, I more remember her for the Hurricanranas and Moonsaults and being cool and all that jazz.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3