BRM Reviews the 3/20/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/20/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '19, 21:14

HUNTER EXPLAINS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE NXT TITLE WITH CIAMPA INJURED AND FORCED TO VACATE- The title will be decided at TakeOver: New York in a 2 out of 3 falls match between Johnny Gargano and the winner of a Fatal Five Way match between The Velveteen Dream, Aleister Black, Adam Cole, Ricochet, and Matt Riddle (the first four are all current or former singles champions in NXT, and Riddle is undefeated.

CATHY KELLEY HANGS OUT OUTSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM TO GET PEOPLE’S THOUGHTS ON THINGS-
Kona Reeves is upset that he’s not in the five-way. I didn’t even realize he was still employed.
The Forgotten Sons are angry that Cathy has forgotten that they are the finals of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. This was their first time talking, and it would have been better if they didn’t. They came off as completely generic.

MAIN EVENT HYPE VIDEO PACKAGE, PART 1- great
This one dealt with Black, Ricochet, & The Velveteen Dream.

TOMMASO CIAMPA SURGERY VIDEO PACKAGE- This was WAY too humanizing for someone who has been by far the most despised man in the promotion’s history.

MAIN EVENT HYPE VIDEO PACKAGE, PART 2- fine
This dealt with Cole and Riddle.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS IO SHIRAI & KAIRI SANE- fine build for the NXT Women’s Title match at TakeOver: New York.
They said they have no problem fighting each other for the title but that doesn’t mean they won’t remain friends. Bianca Belair showed up and cut a promo on them… and particularly on Kairi, saying (correctly, in my opinion) that she really doesn’t belong in this match and didn’t do anything to earn it. She purposely bumped into Kairi as she walked away. Kairi was ready to go after her but Io calmed her down.

FATAL FIVE-WAY MATCH TO DETERMINE WHO WILL FACE JOHNNY GARGANO FOR THE NXT TITLE AT TAKEOVER: NEW YORK: Adam Cole vs. Ricochet vs. Aleister Black vs. The Velveteen Dream vs. Matt Riddle- 8.75/10
Lots of spots and people breaking up each other’s pins. The usual awesome chaos. Cole won.

A pretty good episode of NXT, though almost all on the quality of the main event (which I only now just realized was the only match on the show). Things really feel like they’re full steam ahead towards TakeOver now, as compared to the main roster which most feels like things are just flailing around.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/20/2019 NXT

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 08:30

So... how excited are you for Gargano v Cole? I know I’m more excited for that than anything on the Mania card!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 21st, '19, 08:36

Cole's the most sensible choice I suppose, but I'm kinda passed caring about him anymore.

Even if he actually wins it...It's probably Gargano's time...he's undeniably earned it...but-I'd still like it's a day late and passed the point of being hot with "gonna win all the titles, Undisputed Era yeah!"
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '19, 08:37

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:30 So... how excited are you for Gargano v Cole? I know I’m more excited for that than anything on the Mania card!
I'm not quite sure I'd go that far, but there are still two more weeks for them to ruin AJ vs. Orton.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 09:17

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:37
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:30 So... how excited are you for Gargano v Cole? I know I’m more excited for that than anything on the Mania card!
I'm not quite sure I'd go that far, but there are still two more weeks for them to ruin AJ vs. Orton.
Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot to be excited for at Mania this year, but historically, it’s been disappointing for me since Mania XX, so I don’t have my hopes up too high. It’s all about the show instead of the wrestling. But Cole and Gargano are two of my absolute favourite guys right now and 2 out of 3 falls is going to be insanity.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 21st, '19, 10:08

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 09:17
Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot to be excited for at Mania this year, but historically, it’s been disappointing for me since Mania XX, so I don’t have my hopes up too high. It’s all about the show instead of the wrestling. But Cole and Gargano are two of my absolute favourite guys right now and 2 out of 3 falls is going to be insanity.
*hasn't really liked Wrestlemania in 15 years. And Cero says I kid around too much...*

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 21st, '19, 14:08

Kona Reeves is Baron Corbin 2.0 lol

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 21st, '19, 14:10

As much as I like them...and I want to see them win it...it almost feels like "awh you forgot us...", is forced with The Forgotten Sons.

Who forgot them? When and for how long? I get it's the gimmick and the name, but just coming in and saying over and again "everyone forgot about you...", is kind of a head-scratcher...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '19, 14:17

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 14:10 As much as I like them...and I want to see them win it...it almost feels like "awh you forgot us...", is forced with The Forgotten Sons.

Who forgot them? When and for how long? I get it's the gimmick and the name, but just coming in and saying over and again "everyone forgot about you...", is kind of a head-scratcher...
I don't really get it, either. if it was duds who were off TV for a long time banding together it would make sense, but only Blake really fits into the category. Cutler was an occasionally-used jobber before this gimmick, and Ryker hadn't been in the company.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 16:42

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:36 Cole's the most sensible choice I suppose, but I'm kinda passed caring about him anymore.

Even if he actually wins it...It's probably Gargano's time...he's undeniably earned it...but-I'd still like it's a day late and passed the point of being hot with "gonna win all the titles, Undisputed Era yeah!"
I mean, I get it, but I wasn’t watching it weekly, I binged it so it didn’t really feel like that long. It kinda screwed up my whole perception of how time passed in NXT to be honest!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 16:43

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 10:08
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 09:17

*hasn't really liked Wrestlemania in 15 years. And Cero says I kid around too much...*
I haven’t! I always get all excited about it thinking “maybe this year it’ll be better” and then it never is and I’ve sat through 7 hours or some bullshit of pantomime and nostalgia to be disappointed. The RAW afterwards is even more fun for me to be honest. The only thing I am really looking forward to is the possibility of Rollins taking the title from Lesnar and Becky taking it from Ronda.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 21st, '19, 20:14

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 08:36 Cole's the most sensible choice I suppose, but I'm kinda passed caring about him anymore.

I feel like it's only Gargano's time if he beat Ciampa for it. Maybe another chapter to their story for when Ciampa returns, but I know it'd be the elephant in the room for me until it happened.

I get how you feel about Cole, but he's also got a very unique gift of making you care again real quick. Cole and UE really haven't had much going on, hence the generic promos. I think a title win here, protected by his stable, could make things very interesting...
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 16:43 I’ve sat through 7 hours or some bullshit of pantomime and nostalgia to be disappointed. The RAW afterwards is even more fun for me to be honest.
Yes!!! Same!
I've had enough forced moments... if I had to pinpoint one thing that made me cancel my Network subscription, it was Sting vs Triple H. I did not renew after that 'Mania, and barring a month here and a borrowed account there, I haven't been back.

Raw the next night is ALWAYS a good time, though! I go out of my way for it every year!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 21:38

Bob-O wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 20:14

I feel like it's only Gargano's time if he beat Ciampa for it. Maybe another chapter to their story for when Ciampa returns, but I know it'd be the elephant in the room for me until it happened.

I get how you feel about Cole, but he's also got a very unique gift of making you care again real quick. Cole and UE really haven't had much going on, hence the generic promos. I think a title win here, protected by his stable, could make things very interesting...
I heard an interesting rumor that there was already a story in place for when Ciampa comes back... And I think you're totally right about Gargano. I would love for him to win it, but I think it would be the only way to really end the feud if he won it from Ciampa.

Cole does have a way of making you care real quick. I wasn't a big fan when I first started watching NXT but I saw little flashes of brilliance in him that remind me of Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho, and just his character and his charisma are magnetic. He has that magic.
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 16:43 I’ve sat through 7 hours or some bullshit of pantomime and nostalgia to be disappointed. The RAW afterwards is even more fun for me to be honest.
Yes!!! Same!
I've had enough forced moments... if I had to pinpoint one thing that made me cancel my Network subscription, it was Sting vs Triple H. I did not renew after that 'Mania, and barring a month here and a borrowed account there, I haven't been back.

Raw the next night is ALWAYS a good time, though! I go out of my way for it every year!
I have the network subscription just because I keep up with the PPVs, and the cost is worth it just for that. Also because I'm cheating a bit... The Canadian version of the Network doesn't work the same as the American one somehow, so I used my boyfriend's parents mailing address in California for my account, and his card... SO it ends up that I'm not even the one paying for it. He won't let me. So, free Network? And the amount of NXT I've been watching recently is definitely worth it. No one else I know watches wrestling so I'm the one lending my account out. :P

There's always the fun returns and where actual good story stuff happens! My mom asked me on Wednesday where Bray was and I went "Well, he'll probably be on the RAW after 'Mania, because that's always when people come back." Usually when I watch Wrestlemania I try to do it by myself so I can do other things while the garbage stuff is on and just pay attention to the important things. It's gotten really sad.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '19, 23:07

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 21:38

I heard an interesting rumor that there was already a story in place for when Ciampa comes back... And I think you're totally right about Gargano. I would love for him to win it, but I think it would be the only way to really end the feud if he won it from Ciampa.

Cole does have a way of making you care real quick. I wasn't a big fan when I first started watching NXT but I saw little flashes of brilliance in him that remind me of Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho, and just his character and his charisma are magnetic. He has that magic.
They could also have Gargano be the champion when Ciampa comes back and then have Gargano need to beat Ciampa to feel validated as champion (a thought Ciampa could place in his head through gas-lighting promos).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 21st, '19, 23:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 23:07

They could also have Gargano be the champion when Ciampa comes back and then have Gargano need to beat Ciampa to feel validated as champion (a thought Ciampa could place in his head through gas-lighting promos).
That wouldn't even be that difficult. All Ciampa would have to say is "You couldn't even get your hands on that Championship while I was around. You couldn't even get your hands on it until I went out hurt, because you could never beat me." Boom, there it is. I like this idea too, but I think there would be more of a "fuzzy, feel-good" moment if he won it from Ciampa.

Besides that, the main event has felt a little bit like the DIY show lately, with some rotating guys for flavor, so Cole winning it would be helpful because it would bring in someone new- though he has been floating around the periphery of the main event picture for a while- and validate everything Undisputed Era has been saying about having all the gold. Imagine Cole having the NXT Title, Strong somehow ending up with the North American Championship, and then Fish and O'Reilly with the Tag Team Championships... It's a distinct possibility. Then we can get a bit of a different NXT Title scene for a bit too.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 22nd, '19, 12:24

What's the point of four guys suplexing another guy off the top, especially when the 4th guy is standing by watching? Everybody's gonna be laid out, just watch and wait for the perfect moment.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 22nd, '19, 14:33

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 22nd, '19, 12:24 What's the point of four guys suplexing another guy off the top, especially when the 4th guy is standing by watching? Everybody's gonna be laid out, just watch and wait for the perfect moment.
This is one of those spots that has always made me wonder what the point is lol

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 22nd, '19, 16:42

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 22nd, '19, 14:33
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 22nd, '19, 12:24 What's the point of four guys suplexing another guy off the top, especially when the 4th guy is standing by watching? Everybody's gonna be laid out, just watch and wait for the perfect moment.
This is one of those spots that has always made me wonder what the point is lol
Just for the spot lol. To get a "Oooohhhh!" Out of the crowd. In kayfabe wrestling sense, it's backwards.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 22nd, '19, 16:48

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 23:46

That wouldn't even be that difficult. All Ciampa would have to say is "You couldn't even get your hands on that Championship while I was around. You couldn't even get your hands on it until I went out hurt, because you could never beat me." Boom, there it is. I like this idea too, but I think there would be more of a "fuzzy, feel-good" moment if he won it from Ciampa.

Besides that, the main event has felt a little bit like the DIY show lately, with some rotating guys for flavor, so Cole winning it would be helpful because it would bring in someone new- though he has been floating around the periphery of the main event picture for a while- and validate everything Undisputed Era has been saying about having all the gold. Imagine Cole having the NXT Title, Strong somehow ending up with the North American Championship, and then Fish and O'Reilly with the Tag Team Championships... It's a distinct possibility. Then we can get a bit of a different NXT Title scene for a bit too.
I'm just visualizing Gargano in the position right now and I'm not digging it. It's all but garunteed he'd be holding the belt until Ciampa came back, so they can do the obligatory Real Champ/Fake Champ "I never got beat for the title" thing... but until then we'll get some great matches, but nothing of substance because we all know the belt means nothing to him unless he beats Ciampa for it.

Personally, I'm liking Cole in that spot with a chasing Gargano and some Riddle mixed in... REALLY digging some Riddle vs O'Reilly in that chase... give it to Gargano when Ciampa's almost ready to come back and then they can do the thing.

But, whatever. I trust NXT to be entertaining regardless, I just feel like Adam Cole is approaching NXT Ziggler territory and stands to lose more than Gargano by NOT winning. They could strait up job Gargano out until Ciampa returns, pick up where they left off, and everyone would forget all about it.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 22nd, '19, 22:00

Bob-O wrote: Mar 22nd, '19, 16:48
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 23:46

I'm just visualizing Gargano in the position right now and I'm not digging it. It's all but garunteed he'd be holding the belt until Ciampa came back, so they can do the obligatory Real Champ/Fake Champ "I never got beat for the title" thing... but until then we'll get some great matches, but nothing of substance because we all know the belt means nothing to him unless he beats Ciampa for it.

Personally, I'm liking Cole in that spot with a chasing Gargano and some Riddle mixed in... REALLY digging some Riddle vs O'Reilly in that chase... give it to Gargano when Ciampa's almost ready to come back and then they can do the thing.

But, whatever. I trust NXT to be entertaining regardless, I just feel like Adam Cole is approaching NXT Ziggler territory and stands to lose more than Gargano by NOT winning. They could strait up job Gargano out until Ciampa returns, pick up where they left off, and everyone would forget all about it.
I'm feeling the same way about Gargano honestly. I would be much happier with him feuding with Ciampa over it, and Cole is just perfect so I'd be happy with him.

When we were growing up watching wrestling, we would always do "head picks"- who you think will win based on the story, and "heart picks"- who you want to win. And I think in this case, my head pick is Cole, and my heart pick is Gargano.