BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 21117
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 18th, '18, 19:01

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Undisputed Era (Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly(c) vs. War Raiders- 8.5/10
When this match opened the show instead of being the main event I kind of figured we were getting a run-in finish (though they did a decent job working Cole’s interference in the way they did in order to try to convince you it wouldn’t happen), but the match was AWESOME while it last. For whatever reason, this match felt a little more “if this were real, this is what it would be like” and Rowe’s selling was excellent.

NIKKI CROSS IN A HALLWAY- she knows

BRITT BAKER vs. SHAYNA BASZLER- squash
Cole: Hey, honey! I got you an opportunity on NXT!
Britt: Really? Against who?
Cole: Well…

Shayna used her arm-ruining stomp to ruin Britt’s arm and win by referee stoppage. Shayna attacked Britt after the match, too, because Shayna is a jerk.

BURCH & LORCAN VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

REGAL INTERVIEW- He says that Aleister Black is coming back soon and so he will try to get some answers out of Nikki Cross after her match tonight. Because I like Regal and think he does a great job as GM, I am going to be generous and assume that Regal meant he will talk to Nikki again, and that he has tried to talk to Nikki before but to no avail. Otherwise it makes it seem like Nikki has been going around for weeks saying she has the answers Regal is seeking but Regal hasn’t really tried to get them out of her yet.

DANNY BURCHER & ONEY LORCAN vs. TIAN BING & ROCKY- 0.5/10
They let the Chinese rookies get something in before squashing them.

NIKKI CROSS vs. BIANCA BELAIR- 6.75/10
They told a great story about Bianca being so desperate to put Nikki away but not being able to, to the point where it felt like she was about to crack… and then we got this stupid finish. Or rather, lack of a finish.
POST-MATCH SEGMENT-
The lights go off and Aleister Black’s music plays. When it goes back on, Aleister has magically teleported ot the ring, and Bianca has been magically teleported. So shouldn’t she lose by count-out? Or does Nikki get DQed for someone helping her?
Anyway, Nikki rolls around while the fans chant that “NIKKI’S GOT A SECRET!” Aleister demands that Nikki tell him, so she worms her way over to him… and whispers in this ear. The fans were NOT happy about this, and neither was I. We not only got non-finishes in BOTH parts of the heavily-hyped “double main event,” but we didn’t even get an answer to the “who attacked Aleister Black?” mystery when it looked like we were going to. Not cool, NXT. Very not cool.


Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
wXw 16 Carat Tournament 2016
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 555
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Braun Strowman

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 19th, '18, 08:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 18th, '18, 19:01

Anyway, Nikki rolls around while the fans chant that “NIKKI’S GOT A SECRET!” Aleister demands that Nikki tell him, so she worms her way over to him… and whispers in this ear. The fans were NOT happy about this, and neither was I. We not only got non-finishes in BOTH parts of the heavily-hyped “double main event,” but we didn’t even get an answer to the “who attacked Aleister Black?” mystery when it looked like we were going to. Not cool, NXT. Very not cool.
I feel like, the way this revelation is going to go, you would've been pissed off it had been revealed this way.
I know. I know.....
"HE SAID URINE" - Bobby Roode, 2018
Up next on NWK Reviews
TNA Bound for Glory 2009
Super J Cup 1994
Summerslam 2003
SHIMMER/ROH until I get bored of it

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 21117
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 19th, '18, 09:40

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 08:34
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 18th, '18, 19:01

Anyway, Nikki rolls around while the fans chant that “NIKKI’S GOT A SECRET!” Aleister demands that Nikki tell him, so she worms her way over to him… and whispers in this ear. The fans were NOT happy about this, and neither was I. We not only got non-finishes in BOTH parts of the heavily-hyped “double main event,” but we didn’t even get an answer to the “who attacked Aleister Black?” mystery when it looked like we were going to. Not cool, NXT. Very not cool.
I feel like, the way this revelation is going to go, you would've been pissed off it had been revealed this way.
I know. I know.....
It would have been lame because it would have made all of those Regal segments feel like a waste (which is why I was advocating the theory that this was a red herring... which it still could be, as that could explain Aleister's rage as well), but if you were going to reveal it like this, just plain teasing the fans like this is totally not cool.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
wXw 16 Carat Tournament 2016
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 4435
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 19th, '18, 12:41

Actually....
Hidden text.
I've seen people are saying spoilers are up saying it's soon revealed to be Gargano. I've not personally actually read said spoilers, so I can't come to you with guaranteed personal fact that that is, in fact true-so. I'd rather it be a component of "the path he was on and going down at the time....and now has tried to get his old self back...", rather than see it all just the product of a "HA! GOT 'EM!" all along, convoluted heel turn, and instead as I said, all be part of character work without any actual Gargano turn, with this all just adding further layers to depth of his character.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 775
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38
Favorite Wrestler: Tyler Bate

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by XIV » Oct 19th, '18, 13:18

This show. Was pointless. It did nothing. It genuinely. Did nothing.
"While you're looking at Bop, I'll hit you with Bang. You day see that coming"

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 21117
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 19th, '18, 13:48

XIV wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 13:18
This show. Was pointless. It did nothing. It genuinely. Did nothing.
Pretty much, yeah. I guess it officially let us know that Fish is back and healthy, but that's about it. The Baszler squash was a great squash and does make her feel even more vicious than she previously had going into her title shot at Evolution, but while a positive, that certainly wasn't necessary.


It's funny because I've mostly really enjoyed the TV recently, but it feels like them being more enslaved to the WWE PPV schedule for Takeovers and feeling forced to do a War Games match again is requiring them to really string us along for the TV more than they otherwise would have, because they've got so long between shows and also are likely going to at least not have the tag team, North American, and UK titles on the line at Takeover (I assume War Games will be UE vs War Raiders, Dunne, & Ricochet). This will allow them to get a women's undercard match on the show (Belair finally defeating Cross seems most likely) and the "who attacked Aleister Black" storyline was played well enough until now that it was a great distraction, but they've been doing a lot of stalling with most of their belts (there is an active title picture, but it feels like it's purpose is more to bring the babyface team together for War Games than it is to be a title pciture of the tag, UK, and NA titles), and, quite frankly, it'd be worse if they didn't have Evolution to get an NXT Women's Title match on, because that's saving us from an additional month of very slow build to Baszler vs. Kairi.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
wXw 16 Carat Tournament 2016
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 775
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38
Favorite Wrestler: Tyler Bate

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by XIV » Oct 20th, '18, 01:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 13:48
XIV wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 13:18
This show. Was pointless. It did nothing. It genuinely. Did nothing.
Pretty much, yeah. I guess it officially let us know that Fish is back and healthy, but that's about it. The Baszler squash was a great squash and does make her feel even more vicious than she previously had going into her title shot at Evolution, but while a positive, that certainly wasn't necessary.


It's funny because I've mostly really enjoyed the TV recently, but it feels like them being more enslaved to the WWE PPV schedule for Takeovers and feeling forced to do a War Games match again is requiring them to really string us along for the TV more than they otherwise would have, because they've got so long between shows and also are likely going to at least not have the tag team, North American, and UK titles on the line at Takeover (I assume War Games will be UE vs War Raiders, Dunne, & Ricochet). This will allow them to get a women's undercard match on the show (Belair finally defeating Cross seems most likely) and the "who attacked Aleister Black" storyline was played well enough until now that it was a great distraction, but they've been doing a lot of stalling with most of their belts (there is an active title picture, but it feels like it's purpose is more to bring the babyface team together for War Games than it is to be a title pciture of the tag, UK, and NA titles), and, quite frankly, it'd be worse if they didn't have Evolution to get an NXT Women's Title match on, because that's saving us from an additional month of very slow build to Baszler vs. Kairi.
Fish being back is good. So that’s a start, I wonder if they’ll stay as a four piece or remove Strong and get the heat for “using him as a placeholder”.

Squash was okay... But why squash Britt Baker? The build back to Kairi is very slow.

I want Ciampa to be doing more, I feel like he was red hot, and he’s starting to cool off instead of being rocketshipped.

Aleister Black, I think they’ll want the reveal at a TakeOver to build a solid feud for Aleister Black (which I think will be his last before his call up probably around the Royal Rumble). But I do wish they’d just do it. They’ve held the storyline one or two weeks too long know.
"While you're looking at Bop, I'll hit you with Bang. You day see that coming"

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 4435
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 20th, '18, 07:13

The spoiler pertains to the Aleister Black thing btw.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 21117
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '18, 18:57

XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 13:48
XIV wrote:
Oct 19th, '18, 13:18
This show. Was pointless. It did nothing. It genuinely. Did nothing.
Pretty much, yeah. I guess it officially let us know that Fish is back and healthy, but that's about it. The Baszler squash was a great squash and does make her feel even more vicious than she previously had going into her title shot at Evolution, but while a positive, that certainly wasn't necessary.


It's funny because I've mostly really enjoyed the TV recently, but it feels like them being more enslaved to the WWE PPV schedule for Takeovers and feeling forced to do a War Games match again is requiring them to really string us along for the TV more than they otherwise would have, because they've got so long between shows and also are likely going to at least not have the tag team, North American, and UK titles on the line at Takeover (I assume War Games will be UE vs War Raiders, Dunne, & Ricochet). This will allow them to get a women's undercard match on the show (Belair finally defeating Cross seems most likely) and the "who attacked Aleister Black" storyline was played well enough until now that it was a great distraction, but they've been doing a lot of stalling with most of their belts (there is an active title picture, but it feels like it's purpose is more to bring the babyface team together for War Games than it is to be a title pciture of the tag, UK, and NA titles), and, quite frankly, it'd be worse if they didn't have Evolution to get an NXT Women's Title match on, because that's saving us from an additional month of very slow build to Baszler vs. Kairi.
Fish being back is good. So that’s a start, I wonder if they’ll stay as a four piece or remove Strong and get the heat for “using him as a placeholder”.
This was how I thought things would wind up going way back when the turn happened. Now I'm not so sure. Heel douchebag Roddy has always proven to be the best Roddy. I'd have put the belt on hi last year because the story and the contrast with Roode's character worked so well, but now I more see Roddy as the guy to be challenging for the North American Title when Cole eventually wins the NXT Title. (Which WILL happen. Hunter is Horsemen mark, and this is a four-person stable, plus they've never done a "dominant heel stable" angle in NXT before).
XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
I want Ciampa to be doing more, I feel like he was red hot, and he’s starting to cool off instead of being rocketshipped.
I disagree. I think what they've been doing with him and TVD has been perfect, plus the little thing with Otis, plus the "did he attack Aleister Black?" thing has kept him in our thoughts. I'm not usually an advocate of the idea of "keep the champion out of the ring unless it's a PPV" but I think they've done a mighty fine job doing that with him recently.
XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
Aleister Black, I think they’ll want the reveal at a TakeOver to build a solid feud for Aleister Black (which I think will be his last before his call up probably around the Royal Rumble). But I do wish they’d just do it. They’ve held the storyline one or two weeks too long know.
I don't think it's an issue of the storyline going too long so much as it is that they have failed to give us new clues. If they were continuously dropping clues on us, it would be fine, but instead they changed it to "Nikki Cross knows, and she's not telling anyone because SHE'S CRAZY and therefore we don't have to give her actual motives. This ending here now just rubs it in our faces.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
wXw 16 Carat Tournament 2016
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Bob-O
Posts: 2397
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 06:06
Favorite Wrestler: King Kong Bundy
Location: Erie, Pa

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Bob-O » Oct 20th, '18, 23:24

XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
Fish being back is good. So that’s a start, I wonder if they’ll stay as a four piece or remove Strong and get the heat for “using him as a placeholder”.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 18:57
This was how I thought things would wind up going way back when the turn happened. Now I'm not so sure.
Remember though, they were trying to recruit Roddy before Fish got hurt. They were TRYING to expand, the placeholder scenario doesn't work when he joined in a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" scenario. They could conveniently forget all that to make an angle, but I'm not feeling it.

Actually, it'd feel more 'NXT' of them to kick Cole out (maybe he costs them War Games?), turn Cole babyface and he goes after Ciampa for the title at the following TakeOver.

It feels more 'WWE' of them to turn Cole as well, because he get's bigger pops than most of the main roster when he shows up on main roster things. You KNOW they want to start selling some Bay Bay shirts...

But, that's my take. Kicking Roddy out doesn't make much sense, and is a little too predictable for them.
XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
I want Ciampa to be doing more, I feel like he was red hot, and he’s starting to cool off instead of being rocketshipped.
I agree. I felt the same way with Baszler. NXT has always done a PHENOMENAL job building up challengers, but they've been struggling at keeping any heat on their champions. Which works out well for a brand with high turnover, but can be frustrating as a fan.

Ciampa's tricky, though. He got all his heat and defined his character in a blood feud, which he isn't going to top, THEN he won the title. The feud with Gargano main evented how many TakeOvers? ANYTHING he or Johnny does is going to feel a little insignificant coming off of that kind of ride, even the championship.
KILLdozer wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 07:13
The spoiler pertains to the Aleister Black thing btw.
Hidden text.
It makes perfect sense. As much as I'd love to see them use the angle to build up somebody else, if true, we're going to get a hell of a match out of it.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 21117
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/17/2018 NXT (well... that was frustrating)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '18, 23:51

Bob-O wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 23:24
XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
Fish being back is good. So that’s a start, I wonder if they’ll stay as a four piece or remove Strong and get the heat for “using him as a placeholder”.
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 18:57
This was how I thought things would wind up going way back when the turn happened. Now I'm not so sure.
Remember though, they were trying to recruit Roddy before Fish got hurt. They were TRYING to expand, the placeholder scenario doesn't work when he joined in a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" scenario. They could conveniently forget all that to make an angle, but I'm not feeling it.

Actually, it'd feel more 'NXT' of them to kick Cole out (maybe he costs them War Games?), turn Cole babyface and he goes after Ciampa for the title at the following TakeOver.

It feels more 'WWE' of them to turn Cole as well, because he get's bigger pops than most of the main roster when he shows up on main roster things. You KNOW they want to start selling some Bay Bay shirts...

But, that's my take. Kicking Roddy out doesn't make much sense, and is a little too predictable for them.
I don't find the two points convincing enough for me to say that they won't do it, but these are all solid points. Especially that first one.
Bob-O wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 23:24
XIV wrote:
Oct 20th, '18, 01:09
I want Ciampa to be doing more, I feel like he was red hot, and he’s starting to cool off instead of being rocketshipped.
I agree. I felt the same way with Baszler. NXT has always done a PHENOMENAL job building up challengers, but they've been struggling at keeping any heat on their champions. Which works out well for a brand with high turnover, but can be frustrating as a fan.

Ciampa's tricky, though. He got all his heat and defined his character in a blood feud, which he isn't going to top, THEN he won the title. The feud with Gargano main evented how many TakeOvers? ANYTHING he or Johnny does is going to feel a little insignificant coming off of that kind of ride, even the championship.
There is a difference between insignificant and just less significant. The stuff Johnny has been doing was a clear part of his story. Ciampa has just been cutting promos and doing a little thing with Otis.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
wXw 16 Carat Tournament 2016
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests