A LOOK AT CMLL & AAA HEADING INTO THEIR UPCOMING BIG SHOWS

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

A LOOK AT CMLL & AAA HEADING INTO THEIR UPCOMING BIG SHOWS

Post by cero2k » Sep 30th, '11, 10:14

source: Luchaworld

With CMLL’s 78th Anniversary show coming up this Friday and AAA’s Heroes Inmortales show coming in on October 9th, lets take a look at what both shows have to offer their fans. CMLL actually didn’t release their full lineup until late Friday night/early Saturday (last week), so their entire card was set-up one week before their show. On the other hand, AAA started promoting matches several weeks ago and had mentioned Sting making his Mexico debut days ago. AAA is about two weeks away from their next big event and already have every match listed.

Both promotions went in completely different directions with their two upcoming big events. AAA’s show has a big show feel to it, while CMLL’s show aside from having a main event with a cage feels like every other Friday night show. In fact, they’ve had deeper Friday night shows at Arena Mexico than they will this upcoming Friday given that they decided to run TWO shows on the same day. They split their crew with some of their other wrestlers appearing at Arena Coliseo de Guadalajara on the same day for another cage match. That’s right two cage matches with stipulations on the same day.

Here’s a rundown for both cards:

CMLL 78th Anniversary show 9/30/11 at Arena Mexico:

1. Angel Azteca & Hombre Bala Jr. vs. Los Rayos Tapatios I y II

Rayos Tapatios get to work the Anniversary show and continue their feud with Hombre Bala Jr. Its too bad they couldn’t get Guerrero Maya Jr. in to complete this feud, but that wouldn’t work now anyways given Maya has moved up the ladder and this mask feud seems to have been forgotten.

2. Dragon Lee & Stuka Jr. vs. Euforia & Misterioso II

Seems like a filler match and interesting that Dragon Lee is in this match instead of working the opener. Angel Azteca Jr. should probably be in this match, but it really doesn’t bode well for Angel Azteca Jr. if Dragon Lee is already ahead of him. Just for obvious reasons it would have made more sense to have Dragon Lee teaming with Hombre Bala Jr. against Los Rayos Tapatios. This also shows were CMLL just randomly throws matches out because they could have very easily done something like Stuka Jr. & Fuego vs. Euforia & one of the other Cancerberos. Raziel and Cancerbero don’t seem to be booked on either show.

3. Torneo Cibernetico por el Leyenda de Plata – Block B – Participants: Diamante/Fuego/Jushin Thunder Liger/Mascara Dorada/Metro/Sangre Azteca/Dragon Rojo/Hijo del Signo/Mephisto/Olimpico/Rey Escorpion/Virus

Block A winner was Volador Jr., so you would think a tecnico would win Block B. However, this being CMLL anything is possible as far as who ends up winning. I think the likely winner will either be Jushin Thunder Liger or Mascara Dorada to set-up a pretty fun Final match-up. I wouldn’t be shocked if Dragon Rojo wins. I’d be stunned if Sangre Azteca won given he’s really never been in any of CMLL’s major plans.

4. Steel Cage Match where the loser gets shaved – Participants: Blue Panther/Hector Garza/Maximo/Rush/Mr. Aguila/El Terrible/Felino/Hijo del Texano/Negro Casas/Rey Bucanero

I find these multi-man cage matches as main events at Anniversary shows to be pretty disappointing. They’re fine when done as a special attraction to settle a feud between lower card guys on a summer Sunday show. The Anniversary show should be treated as the big show of the year and lately it hasn’t been. The Homenaje a Dos Leyendas show seems to be developing into their top annual show, while the Anniversary show is slipping in quality main events. This match feels like its only going to set-up more hair matches later this year. I get the feeling Maximo, Mr. Aguila or Rey Bucanero will be the eventual losers since they’ve all dropped their hair at some point recently. Casas can drop it as well, but there’s a potential match-up with either Casas going against Blue Panther in a singles match or involved in a trios or tag team hair match against La Fuerza TRT. Casas and Blue Panther had a helluva match earlier in the year and it would be foolish for CMLL not to go back to that for one of their televised shows.

El Terrible and El Texano have yet to drop their hair and they should NOT in a cage match. They should be saved for a tag match. Felino has the wacky hair. I don’t know if getting his head shaved would be a great idea given his gimmick is he’s suppose to look filthy and the hair does help.

That’s the Anniversary card. The minis and women don’t appear on that or the Guadalajara show. Very strange. They probably could have had a women’s match or minis match at either place just to strengthen the Arena Mexico show. Last week’s Arena Mexico show looked stronger than this show.

AAA Heroes Inmortales 10/9/11 Arena Monterrey:

1. Lucha de Oscuras: Fabi y Mari Apache/Cinthia Moreno vs. Jennifer Blake/Sexy Star/Velvet Sky

Lucha de Oscuras is a match were the lights are turned off. I believe they leave some minor lighting, but I usually skip these matches and usually only notice the wrestlers were glow-in-the-dark outfits and there is some stuff you can see. I have no idea why wrestling promoters like to have matches in the dark. Its pretty stupid. This match would have been perfectly fine with some other gimmick thrown in especially given that its the women’s match and for the most part, you kinda want the guys to see the women wrestle. Otherwise, why even book women on a wrestling show. I get the feeling Some are gonna take what I just wrote and misinterpret it. What I’m trying to say is when you book good-looking women, you WANT them to be seen on TV and by the fans attending the show.

This match would be pretty good as just a trios match. Blake has been really good over the last year as a ruda and at least there’s only one TNA female in this match. The tecnicas are always good.

2. Lumberjack Match: Elegido/Octagoncito/Pimpinela Escarlata vs. Alan Stone/Mini Histeria/Polvo de Estrellas

I almost forgot Polvo de Estrellas was still around. DAMN YOU GALAVISION USA!!! I blame you for that. Also, need to remember to get kcidis to draw Polvo de Estrellas. Feels like a filler match, but I remember these guys feuding over the past 2-3 years. I’m pretty sure Alan Stone turned on Elegido like in 2010. I recall Octagoncito and Mini Histeria feuding. Also remember Pimpinela and Polvo de Estrellas have had a long-running pique going back to Polvo’s days with The Night Queens! See and some of y’all were just thinking I was just going to skip through this and assume it was a filler match. I remember AAA storylines better than whoever comes up with AAA storylines….AND I DON’T EVEN WATCH THEIR TV SHOW! I just pretend really well.

3. AAA Tag Titles: Jack Evans & Extreme Tiger (c) vs. Abyss & Chessman
Dear Jack Evans,
Please be careful.
Your facebook friend,
- Fredo
Pretty sure RobViper booked this match because he wants to see Chessman and Jack Evans try to out-do themselves in a match. This should be good. I bet someone will jump from something really high and I’m not sure, but I think Abyss might fall on thumbtacks. I’m just guessing there.

4. Torneo por la Copa Antonio Peña – Participants: Electroshock vs. Heavy Metal vs. Joe Lider vs. La Parka vs. Zorro vs. Brutus Magnus vs. Cibernetico vs. Jeff Jarrett vs. L.A. Par-K vs. Silver Kain

“Dr. Lucha” Steve Sims initially mentioned the possibility of a Jeff Jarrett vs. L.A. Park title match on this show. Pretty sure everyone forgot about La Copa Antonio Peña. At least that’s what I was thinking when I saw this match listed. This match would be a good time to set-up and start the Jarrett vs. L.A. Park program. They don’t have to win the match, but maybe a wild brawl that gets the fans juices flowing for their potential match-up. I like that they held that match back from this show because L.A. Park vs. Jarrett should headline Guerra de Titanes. They can’t possibly keep this Psycho Circus vs. Perros Del Mal feud going beyond this show, says the guy with common sense. This is a pretty loaded Torneo this year. You got BRUTUS MAGNUS in the match!!! WOO HOO!!!

Anyone remember when AAA was collecting keys to make an Antonio Peña statue? I’m guessing they never reached the maximum amount needed for a life-sized statue, but how about an Antonio Peña trophy!

5. Bull Terrier Match por el AAA Latin American Title: Dr. Wagner Jr. (c) w/Octagon vs. Perro Aguayo Jr. w/Konan Big

I bet this match turns out better than everyone expects it to be. Perro Jr. needs a bounce back match to get back into the conversation of being a mega star in Mexico. He’s really lost a lot over the year as far as having the star power he had back in 2008. Oh wait…its a Bull Terrier match! UGH! Those tend to suck. Geez! Nevermind.

6. El Mesias vs. Sting

This match will probably be what draws most fans to the show. I think the novelty of seeing Sting for the first time in Mexico will be fun and the Mexican fans will react to him very well. Once the bell rings, its going to be up to El Mesias to bust his ass and pull out a good match out of The Stinger. If anyone in Mexico can do that, its El Mesias and if he can’t well, we pretend it never happened.:)

7. Domo de la Muerte where the losers must shave or unmask: The Psycho Circus (Monster Clown/Murder Clown/Psycho Clown) vs. Los Perros del Mal (Damian 666/Halloween/Nicho el Millonario)

The main event is also a cage (well dome) with a stipulation as well. If Los Psycho Circus lose, they drop their masks and if Los Perros Del Mal lose, they get their heads shaved. I’d be shocked if Los Psycho Circus lose, but stranger things have happened. Hey, X-Fly isn’t in this match! Los Perros Del Mal are the old trio of La Familia de Tijuana. I bet X-Fly runs in late in the match to help one of Los Perros and ends up tumbling into the dome or getting stuck in the dome (didn’t that happen to Super Porky AND Homicide?) and ends up getting his head shaved.

I’m giving Heroes Inmortales the edge when it comes to attendance and show quality. As far as match quality, I kinda wish AAA wouldn’t do so many gimmick matches on a show were the main event is a gimmick match. Perro Jr. vs. Dr. Wagner Jr. would have been fine as a singles match without the bull terrier stip. They would have brawled anyway.