BRM Reviws wXw We Love Wrestling #40

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviws wXw We Love Wrestling #40

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 19th, '23, 14:14

wXw We Love Wrestling #40 (12/16/2022)- Borken, Germany

DIRECTOR OF SPORT NORMAN HARRAS ANNOUNCES THAT ABSOLUTELY NO OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE WILL BE TOLERATED TONIGHT- Well… I guess we’ll see what scheme Norman has cooked up to screw Levaniel over tonight.

ICARUS vs. PETER TIHANYI- 6.75/10
Tihanyi wins a good opener cleanly, giving the anti-Amboss forces some momentum heading into the Relaxed Rules match tomorrow night at wXw 22nd Anniversary.

VINCENT HEISENBERG vs. RAMBO- 3/10
A mostly-squash win for Heisenberg.

MAGGOT VS. AHURA VIDEO PACKAGE- great
They’re having a Ladder match to determine the rightful wXw Shotgun Champion at wXw 22nd Anniversary.

BABY ALLISON & MAGGOT vs. IVA KOLASKY & PRINCE AHURA- 6.5/10
Kolasky is teaming with Ahura here because she will wrestle Baby Allison tomorrow at wXw 22nd Anniversary.
We got one of those annoying “the referee refuses to count the pin because it came after an illegal tactic” spots that Red Shoes does. These are fine if you are 100% consistent with them, but no one ever is.
They did the simple double-team spot where Kolasky held Baby Allison open so Ahura could punch her in the stomach, ad Maggot was absolutely tremendous trying to get into the ring to get at Ahura after seeing Ahura punch his girlfriend in the stomach. If I were booking this, I would have come up with some reason to explain why Maggot would care more about getting the win here than getting his hands on the “brother” who betrayed him and assaulted him (i.e. why he didn’t just shove the ref down and run in to attack Ahura at that point).
If you’re going to give the heels win here, the finish they did was about as good as you can get while still being mostly clean. Ahura had Allison in the Walls of Jericho, and when Maggot tried to break it up, Kolasky tripped him from the outside and crotched him on the ringpost.

DAN INTERVIEWS BABY ALLISON & MAGGOT- great!
Maggot vows vicious and blood revenge on Ahura tomorrow (at the Turbinhalle in Oberhausen. Buy your tickets while you still can, folks!).

MASSIMO PESCA vs. ZAFAR AMEEN- 4/10
Their graphic and their video package spelled Ameen’s name different ways (the graphic had “Zafeer Amen”). Oops.
Massimo has a kind of a comic book gimmick. When the fans were chanting for him, Ameen had a great “are you kidding me?” face. Pesca won cleanly. The crowd really liked him.

DAN INTERVIEWS AMBOSS- Icarus bad; Dreissker awesome
Icarus claimed that Tihanyi cheated to beat him. I hate that kind of delusional heel bullsh*t.
Dreissker, on the other hand, rejected that idea that he had to “win back honor” for Amboss because of Tihanyi’s loss. They’re not about honor. They’re about the desire to “reclaim, reshape, rebuild” pro wrestling from these entitled youngsters… but Dreissker will make an exception for Orsi tonight. Orsi, he says, will be “destroyed.”

ROBERT DREISSKER vs. ORSI- 6/10
Orsi did some wacky thing during her entrance that annoyed me. She was a good babyface during the match, though. She lost because she made a mistake due to “inexperience.” I still assume the heels are winning the Relaxed Rules six-person tag tomorrow to set up the blowoff in the Kafigschlacht, but I’m a little less certain now.
Can we please not focus the camera on the one fan in the building with a sign supporting the heels?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Icarus ran out to attack Orsi, but Peter Tihanyi and Elijah Blum were out very quickly to put a stop to it. This was pretty paint-by-numbers stuff. I do feel the need to note that unlike a lot post-match attacks in other places (and in AEW in particular), this post-match attack felt organic to the characters rather than feeling like something the booker told them to do to build up a match, because Dreissker set it up in his promo when he said that beating Orsi was not enough; they wanted to destroy her.

ELIJAH BLUM vs. LA ESTRELLA- 5.75/10
This was a mostly good showcase for both guys. Some of Blum’s stuff could use some work. He picked up the win here to shine him up before the Relaxed Rules match tomorrow.

DANNY FRAY vs. TRISTAN ARCHER- no rating, meh segment
Archer won a squash, using Levaniel’s finisher to mock him. He then cut a very basic promo saying he would retain his wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship tomorrow night against Levaniel.

DAN INTERVIEWS ROTT & FLOTT & METEHAN- fine
Dan asked a dumb question, so Metehan got annoyed at him. Rott & Flott then started to torment him, but he’s annoying so I don’t feel too bad for him.

METEHAN & ROTT & FLOTT vs. THE FRENCHADORS & BOBBY GUNNS- 8/10
This was a perfectly fine main event for a twenty-three-minute six-man tag where they were trying to find a balance between having a great main event and not risking getting hurt the night before one of the biggest shows of the year and thus spoiling one of the top matches.

This was a fine little show from wXw, having to not just function as a go-home show for 22nd Anniversary, but also having to announce many of the matches for the first time. The absences of Levaniel and Axel Tisher are notable (Cara Noir doesn’t talk, so there wasn’t much he could do to hype up his match against Axel Tischer that wouldn’t feel redundant), but they certainly don’t bring the show down. Norman Harras’ proclamation that no interference would be tolerated doesn’t seem to have served any purpose, so that was really weird, and if that was the case, they never should have done it. Anyway, this was essentially a “Road to…” show for 22nd Anniversary if those show could actually make you care about the outcomes of the matches at the big show rather than just being redundant to the point of being annoying. Tomorrow is what we have been building to all year.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3