BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #22

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #22

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 20th, '21, 16:34

wXw We Love Wrestling #22 (10/28/2021)- Limbach-Overfrohna, Germany
(Again, for these I’m going by the broadcast date when possible rather than the date of the taping)

GULYAS JR. vs. “THE AVALANCHE” ROBERT DREISSKER- 5/10
Gulyas Jr. has gotten himself some actual ring gear, which is a plus. His offense still revolves around being fat and smelly, though. He lasted longer against Avalanche than he did in their match a few weeks ago, so that’s some growth for the young fat, smelly, hick (don’t blame me. That’s the gimmick!).

DAN INTERVIEWS ANIL MARIK- good
Anil put over what a big moment it is for him to be wrestling a German wrestling legend like Axel Tischer tonight.

PETER TIHANYI vs. ZERITUS- 5/10
Zeritus is doing a crazy weirdo gimmick. He’d fit in with Saxon Huxley. Tihanyi won clean with a rear naked choke for his first victory in wXw.

DAN INTERVIEWS PETER TIHANYI- meh
Neither man is speaking their native language here, so I’m happy to cut them a little bit of slack. Tihanyi was a generic babyface.

AXEL TISCHER vs. ANIL MARIK- 7.25/10
Axel gets the win because he’s challenger for the wXw Unified World Wrestling Title, but young Anil gets to have a great showing and hang in there against a top name.

DAN INTERVIEWS AXEL TISCHER- great
He has immediately stepped into the role of the top babyface who feels like he can finally dethrone Marius Al-Ani. He also put Anil over.

DAN INTERVIEWS BABY ALLISON, VINCENT HEISENBERG, & MAGGOT- bad
Generic arrogance of the dull kind, combined with what appears to me to be a ridiculous decision to not accept the Arrows of Hungary’s challenge to a tag team match. Why wouldn’t you take a match with the champs when offered? These guys have not been shown to be your typical heel cowards before.

ARROWS OF HUNGARY vs. NORMAN HARRAS & JOHNNY RANCID- 7/10
This was Rancid’s first match in wXw since 2017. Norman was a jerk to him before the match, feeling that being paired with Rancid was the office disrespecting him once again. He told Rancid to follow his orders.
The story went how you’d expect, with Norman yelling at Rancid all the time and walking out on him… only for Rancid to chase after him, kick him, and convince him to come back. Then they actually started working well together, with Rancid seeming to slowly win Norman’s respect by saving him from a Crossfire and helping him put some boots to Icarus. But that all went to hell when Norman hit his finish on Dover and got a visual pinfall, but the ref was busy trying to get a fallen Rancid out of the ring, which led to them coming to blows. Norman was eventually hit with the Crossfire for the pin, but the little spin on the usual sports entertainment “angry tag team partner” set up is the kind of thing that I really appreciate about wXw’s storytelling.

DAN INTERVIEWS THE ARROWS OF HUNGARY- fine
They have proved that they are tag team championship material. They also think that rejecting their challenge shows that Baby Allison, Vincent Heisenberg, and Maggot lack the discipline, attitude, and passion to be great pro wrestlers.

wXw SHOTGUN TITLE MATCH: Vincent Heisenberg(c) vs. Michael Knight- 6/10
Hey, look! The lottery finally chose someone who actually feels like he deserves a title shot.
Going over eleven minutes, I’m not going to rate this as a segment, but the only truly important part of this match was the sequence of events leading to the finish, and holy crap does it have me excited for the possibilities!
Heisenberg was in control, but tore off a turnbuckle bad to set up some effort to inflict major- and illegal- damage on Knight. This brought out Avalanche- uncharacteristically in the middle of the match, to try to stop Heisenberg (who cost him his match in the Blitzturnier, as well as costing him and Anil a rematch for the tag titles) to stop him. The referee ran over to stop Avalanche from doing so, at which point Anil Marik ran out to attack Heisenberg. He got a few shots in, but Heisenberg was able to clothesline him out of the ring… at which point Michael Knight was able to catch Heisenberg with a Crucifix Bomb to win the title.
Obviously this will not help Heisenberg’s fragile mental state, but the more interesting situations are that of Avalanche and Anik. The announcer said he didn’t think Avalanche knew that Anil was going to come out, based on his expression. I’m guessing that that’s true, but if it isn’t it would signal a major change for both men. If it is true, it could be Anil abandoning Avalanche’s pure babyface ways… but even more interesting would be if Anil saw Avalanche coming out in the middle of the match and took that as a signal that Avalanche was abandoning his pure babyface rule-abiding ways, and so went to follow what he mistakenly believed was his mentor’s new path.

STEPHANIE MAZE PROMO- good
She respects what Iva Kolasky has done, but she is determined to be the new champion.

MATCH 1 IN A BEST OF 3 SERIES TO CROWN A NEW wXw WOMEN’S CHAMPION: Iva Kolasky vs. Stephanie Maze- 6/10
Good stuff, but you could tell they were holding back for the upcoming matches. Stephie worked the knee as well as out-kicking Iva with her superior martial arts skill.

DAN INTERVIEWS STEPHANIE MAZE- This was a fine humble-but-excited babyface interview. They’re referring to the next show as being “tomorrow,” even though it won’t air for a week after this one, and advertising True Colors with its air date rather than the date it will be taped (because it has been taped already by the time this is airing) so how am I supposed to date these things in a consistent manner?! GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

FAST TIME MOODO vs. MAGGOT (w/Baby Allison)- 7/10
Very good action with a good dirty finish setting up Maze & Moodo vs. Baby Allison & Maggot at some point in the future.

This was a very good episode of We Love Wrestling, combining some very good in-ring action with good storyline development. Every pro wrestling TV show should strive to do what this show did.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3