BRM Reviews wXw Catch Grand Prix 2021: Blitzturnier Part 1

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw Catch Grand Prix 2021: Blitzturnier Part 1

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 6th, '21, 21:26

wXw Catch Grand Prix 2021: Blitzturnier Part 1 (9/25/2021)- Oberhausen, Germany

GOLDENBOY SANTOS vs. THE ROTATION- 5/10
A fine clean win for Santos.

MANY MINUTES OF INTRODUCTIONS AND VIDEO PACKAGES LATER…

CATCH GRAND PRIX BLITZTURNIER FIRST ROUND FATAL FOUR-WAY MATCH: Tristan Archer vs. Dennis “Cash” Dullnig” vs. Akira Francesco vs. Axel Tischer- 7/10
Great four-way stuff. I liked that they made an effort not for this to be a singles match while two other guys rested on the outside. Andy Jackson interviewed the winner, who cut a good promo.

DAN INTERVIEWS AVALANCHE- good
In addition to wanting to advance in the tournament, he’ll use this First Blood match as an opportunity to get revenge on Maggot for helping to screw him and Anil Marik out of the tag titles at the 20th Anniversary Show.

CATCH GRAND PRIX BLITZTURNIER FIRST ROUND FIRST BLOOD MATCH: “The Avalanche” Robert Dreissker (w/Anil Marik) vs. Maggot (w/Baby Allison)- 5.5/10
Maggot came out wearing boxing headgear to make it harder for Avalanche to make him bleed from the face. Clever. Avalanche quickly knocked him down and ripped it off, though.
Avalanche tried to pull Maggot’s nose-ring out to cause bleeding. That’s hardcore right there. They did a very good job working for the specific stipulation. The screw-job finisher is annoying, but it helps further the Team wXw Wrestling Academy vs. Maggot/Heisenberg/Allison group and helps get over Heisenberg’s Inverted Razor’s Edge into the ringpost spot as something big that we should always be on the lookout for.

LEVANIEL PROMO- good
This was pretty much a repeat of what he said on the previous show, telling us that he wanted to win Catch Grand Prix to prove that he is more than just a “comedy side-act.”

CATCH GRAND PRIX BLITZTURNIER FIRST ROUND TAG TEAM MATCH IN WHICH ONLY THE PERSON WHO SCORES THE FALL ADVANCES: Michael Kight & Leon van Gasteren vs. Bobby Gunns & Levaniel- 6/10
The story was exactly what you’d expect, given the stipulation. Bobby Gunns managed to get with win with a flash pin.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS BOBBY GUNNS- fine

CATCH GRAND PRIX BLITZTURNIER FIRST ROUND 2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH: Fast Time Moodo vs. Stephanie Maze- 6.75/10
A very good match-up between martial artists and tag team partners. It was during this match that I realized how much these two look alike. If you told me they were siblings, I would have believed you.

DAN INTERVIEWS FAST TIME MOODO & STEPHANIE MAZE- great
They put each other over huge. The winner then cut a promo building up his/her Ambition rules match in the next round against Axel Tischer.

This was a fine little show from wXw, considering that it was the first round of a tournament for which the remaining rounds will take place later the same day. I hate the format of the tournament, but the matches themselves were good for what they needed to be.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3