cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 31, 10.1

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '21, 19:06

NJPW G1 Climax 31, Day 8
October 1, 2021
Hamamatsu Arena, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan

Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Ryohei Oiwa - 5.5/10
Good match with a good solid performance from Oiwa. Kanemaru is as solid as you can get, so he helped Oiwa showcase a bit.

G1 Climax 2021 Block B Match
Tama Tonga [2] (w/Jado) vs. Jeff Cobb [6] - 7.5/10
This was a combo I was really curious about, mostly because I know that Tonga has the ability to bump for Cobb like crazy. The match was your usual speed vs power match, with the Tama running circles around Cobb until the latter gets a hold on Tama and destroys him. That was pretty much the theme of the match until Tama went for the Gun Stun, Cobb turned it into a backdrop and the Tour of the Islands for the win.

EVIL [4] (w/Dick Togo) vs. Chase Owens [0] - 7/10
As with most EVIL wins, I liked the match, but the ending was deflating. Story was that EVIL wanted Owens to lay down for him, but Owens defied the request and wrestled him. Owens ended up pushing EVIL to rely on Togo, which Owens initially survived and even came close to hitting the Package Piledriver, but the referee distracted himself with Togo and allowed EVIL to low blow Owens, followed by the EIE and the win. I really enjoy when Owens makes a stand against someone, but I do think he's 'fired up' mode needs better selling, he comes off as pretending to be fired up.

Taichi [4] vs. YOSHI-HASHI [0] - 7.5/10
This was a really good match, but I didn't really get into it as much, which is saying a lot since it's a Taichi match, but when it comes to people who bring out the fire in Taichi, YH is definitely not one of them. Nor vice versa for that matter. The match was really just their usual striking and slamming with a couple of Butterfly Locks here and some Kawada kicks there, and then YH won with Karma.

Hirooki Goto [0] vs. Kazuchika Okada [6] - 7.5/10
Tonight's theme is good matches that are not exactly exciting, they just kinda run the motions and get to the finish, but they're not telling new or unique stories, just one guy dominates, then the match turns around, and then a good couple of minutes of counters and signature move teases, with good near falls, and the 1 2 3 at the end, in this case with a roll up from Okada, to not fully bury 0-point Goto.

Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] vs. SANADA [4] - 8/10
And to cap off the night of good but kinda meh matches, we had Tana vs SANADA, which was a perfectly good match, but it really didn't hook me into the final minutes of the match, prior to that it was both guys having their short run of offense until they started going more back and forth with the counters, ending with Tana hitting a High Fly Flow. They had a couple of good near falls, but that was about it.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
I can't say this was a bad show by any means, but I did think it was the most generic of them, most matches were good, but just kinda there in the excitement department. We've reached middle of the tournament.

Block A
Great-O-Khan - 3-0-1 -- 6
KENTA - 2-0-2 -- 4
Kota Ibushi - 2-0-2 -- 4
Shingo Takagi - 3-0-1 -- 6
Tanga Loa - 1-0-3 -- 2
Tetsuya Naito - 0-0-4 -- 0
Tomohiro Ishii - 1-0-3 -- 2
Toru Yano - 2-0-2 -- 4
Yujiro Takahashi - 2-0-2 -- 4
Zack Sabre Jr. - 4-0-0 -- 8

Block B
Chase Owens - 0-0-4 -- 0
EVIL - 3-0-1 -- 6
Hirooki Goto - 0-0-4 -- 0
Hiroshi Tanahashi - 3-0-1 -- 6
Jeff Cobb - 4-0-0 -- 8
Kazuchika Okada - 4-0-0 -- 8
SANADA - 2-0-2 -- 4
Taichi - 2-0-2 -- 4
Tama Tonga - 2-0-2 -- 4
YOSHI-HASHI - 1-0-3 -- 2

Big Red Machine

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 31, 10.1

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '21, 20:21

"Good matches that are not exactly exciting" is an 8/10 on your scale?

Some things make more sense now.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 5th, '21, 08:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 4th, '21, 20:21 "Good matches that are not exactly exciting" is an 8/10 on your scale?

Just because I'm not in the mood doesn't make the match bad, they are perfectly good matches

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 5th, '21, 10:12

cero2k wrote: Oct 5th, '21, 08:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 4th, '21, 20:21 "Good matches that are not exactly exciting" is an 8/10 on your scale?

Just because I'm not in the mood doesn't make the match bad, they are perfectly good matches
It's more the 8/10 is "good" thing. Which is fine if that's how you want your scale. I think most people would see 8/10 and think ****, so having actual words alongside your numbers is good
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3