BRM Reviews wXw Ambition: Wildcard Edition

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw Ambition: Wildcard Edition

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 2nd, '19, 15:42

wXw Ambition: Wildcard Edition (10/6/2019)- Oberhausen, Germany

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FIRST ROUND MATCH: Daniel Makabe vs. James Runyan- 6.25/10
Both guys cut decent promos before the match, though Runyan was definitely better. They had a match that was a great little mixture of grapplef*ck and striking, with a little bit of normal pro wrestling thrown in as well.

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FIRST ROUND MATCH: Alexander Dean vs. Dominic Garrini- 6/10
More decent pre-match promos and more good grapplef*ck.
Also, I’m dead sure the ring announcer missed a three during a ten-count at one point in this match when the referee was counting Dean down.

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FIRST ROUND MATCH: Rust Taylor vs. Kevin Lloyd- 6.5/10
The pre-match promos this time were just meh. They told a good story with Taylor working over the arm and finally getting the win.

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FIRST ROUND MATCH: A-Kid vs. Scotty Davis- 8/10
Davis’ pre-match promo was decent. A-Kid’s… not so much. At least the match was awesome, though. This might be my favorite Ambition-style match I’ve ever seen.

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION SEMIFINAL MATCH: Daniel Makabe vs. Dominic Garrini- 6/10

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FIRST ROUND MATCH: A-Kid vs. Rust Taylor- 6/10

AMBITION SUPERFIGHT: Timothy Thatcher vs. Oney Lorcan- 7.75/10
Thatcher did a promo talking about the mutual respect between them. Lorcan cut a similar promo, but he was so subdued that it make it hard for me to care about him getting to wrestle the style he likes again and getting to wrestle Thatcher again. Thatcher was subdued as well, but he puts a warmth and a charm into his subdued promos, whereas Lorcan felt someone who had taken a depressant before cutting his promo.
Either way, this match was certainly not subdued. Lots of great grapplef*ck and hard strikes. They got a tremendous amount of drama out of Lorcan’s strikes opening up the cut on Thatcher’s face from last night, and Thatcher’s fire this weekend has been utterly fantastic.

AMBITION: WILDCARD EDITION FINALS: A-Kid vs. Daniel Makabe- 6.75/10
Another nice mix of styles, but I was definitely disappointed by the length. I’d like it if these Ambition matches (especially the tournament final) could be more in the 10-15 minute range instead of the 6-10 minute range.

This was the expected solid night of grapplef*ck and striking, with the bonus of strong superfight and one heck of first round contest between A-Kid and Davis. This show has once again convinced me to give the next Ambition tournament a shot, even though I almost decided to skip this one and skipped the one that happened back in March.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3