NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews AJPW Champion Carnival 2019 Day 14

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '19, 21:43

AJPW Champion Carnival 2019 Day 14
April 23, 2019
Sendai, Japan

Aisawa NO. 1, Atsuki Aoyagi, Jun Akiyama, Sam Adonis, & Zeus vs. Atsushi Maruyama, Black Menso-re, Naoya Nomura, Takao Omori, & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi - 5/10
Too many people with too short of time to do a lot, so a lot of the match was used to put over Kikuchi and his comedy, guys like Omori kept corpsing because of him. Once again, Adonis came off as a babyface, his charisma is taking over. Menso-re pinned Aoyagi with a foot stomp. Fun overall.

Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto vs. Suwama & Yusuke Okada - 5.5/10
We finally get to see the All Asia Tag Champs have a match together. Okada was obviously going to take the pin here, but he did get to show off for a while against both Lee and Koji, even if the former did kick his ass. Lee pinned him after a knee to the chest. Short, but good, Suwama was barely in the ring.

Champion Carnival 2019 Block B Match
Daichi Hashimoto (6) vs. Yoshitatsu (8) - 6/10
Yoshi worked on Daichi's back and a little bit his leg. Daichi worked the head and shouted a lot. The match was a mix of a technical match that Yoshi went for, and a strong style match that Daichi failed to bring out. Daichi won with two Shining Wizards after being worked on most of the match. I really don't like Daichi, he made Yoshitatsu look good by comparison.

Champion Carnival 2019 Block A Match
Atsushi Aoki (4) vs. Gianni Valletta (6) - 6.5
Valletta offered to shake hands to start the match and didn't betray Aoki. This was in a way, a far better version of the match we saw with Daichi and Yoshitatsu, now we had Aoki be the underdog technician, taking on a huge cheating brawler. At one point, Valletta pushed Aoki into the ref. He would choke out Aoki with the chain, but Aoki would use the position to roll back on to Valletta and pin him for the upset win. This was too short, but it was good, Aoki is such a great wrestler.

Ryouji Sai (5) vs. Yuji Okabayashi (7) - 6/10
Story of the match was Okabayashi beat the shit out of Sai, who never gave up going after Yuji's head over and over again until Okabayashi couldn't kick out. I didn't think Okabayashi hadn't taken enough damage to really warrant the pin

Joe Doering & Joel Redman vs. NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) - 7.5/10
Redman and Yuma paired up and it was glorious. Yuma would later become the babyface in peril until he got himself an opening to gain speed and tumble Doering down. Miyahara would fight on both men until Doering turned on Redman and took him off with a lariat, leaving him open for Miyahara's knee. This is the second time that Doering has turned on someone and given Kento the win. I would hope that it would lead to something between Doering and Kento, but it's really just a small built for Redman vs Doering. Really good match.

Dylan James (7) vs. Shuji Ishikawa (7) - 8.5/10
James' eye has gotten darker. This was similar to James' battle with Okabayashi, but better planned, this one didn't rely as much with chop fests as they at least told the story of Ishikawa working over Dylan's Lariating arm while he worked the body towards Kamigoye.

Post-match - James cut a promo asking Violent Giants for a tag team title match. He thanked the fans and closed the show. Like I said yesterday, I just can't see this guy anything other than a babyface now.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
This wasn't a great show really, only two matches got me excited, and while it was an easy watch, I think it was totally skippable. We are 3 shows from the finals and at this point Block A only has Kento, Dylan, Yuji, and Zeus alive. Block B has Yoshitatsu, Suwama, Hashimoto at top, but with only one match left, while Doering and Lee are behind them, but they both have two matches that could be enough to take the top. Tomorrow is the final day with mixed blocks and last show before we can properly see who the real contenders are and who can play spoiler.
Block A
Block B
Kento Miyahara [6]
Joe Doering [6]
Atsushi Aoki [6]
Jake Lee [6]
Yuma Aoyagi [4]
Yoshitatsu [8]
Zeus [8]
Takashi Yoshida [6]
Gianni Valletta [6]
Daichi Hashimoto [8]